Air Duct Cleaning With A Porty

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It does not do a thorough job, I can tell you that first hand.
Its like saying you can do a fine job of carpet cleaning with a Rug Doctor. Yes you can use it and it does clean but its not ideal.

Just not enough cfm to move the debris back to the collector and the hose diameter is a joke. :oldrolleyes:

The orange is 1.5 the blue is 2.0 but air duct hose is usually 8-10 inches in diameter.
If you must use a portable then look at units like abatement technologies or something with the power to pull the debris back to the collector.

"Source Removal". :icon_cool:

Air%20Duct%20Hose1_zps0exmlxba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I could do $99 duct cleaning jobs all day long with that thing, by myself. It was great until one day I got a bad one and filled the whole damn house up with dust... and that was using it with a TM, just can't imagine what could be accomplished with a portable.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I understand trying to get the most out of the equipment that you already own, but I think this is stretching it to the point you are taking risks not worth the savings of not using the proper equipment & tools.

Thank you Chris for you frank & honest statements! You may have saved someone some grief and wasted $$$$$. :cool:

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
Our vac source pulls around 6500 cfm with 13 inches of service pressure, there are vacs that go to 10k or above, like caddy vacs or Pringle trucks. Yesterday we used 75 feet of hose to tie into a system of 30 or so vents, around 100 feet of mains located in a crawlspace. There was an inch thick blanket of dust throughout the system. How would you be able to do this job with that tool? You can't.

You won't be able to fit a 1.5 inch hose down alot of the vents you come across, so you can't do those jobs either. Some vents are a tight fit for a 5/8 air line.

Larry Cobb, I like the tool you have. I made alot of money with it... but it doesn't really do the job. Like I said, it is definitely the tool to use to put a show on...and that is how some choose to run their business, I don't judge.

There was an old sales guru who used to say that customers had your money in their wallet, your job was to get it out without going to jail...not my personal view but I do like the saying.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Does anyone do cleaning of air ducts with a porty? It is something I have been asked about a few times, and I've been trying to find out more information about it.

Imo.... Unless you are dominating your local area with carpet cleaning, I would not add another service til my bread and butter service(carpet, upholstery, etc) has taken off.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Imo.... Unless you are dominating your local area with carpet cleaning, I would not add another service til my bread and butter service(carpet, upholstery, etc) has taken off.

I respectfully disagree. It can be much easier to cross market a couple of different services. You can use one of the services as a "loss leader" and then be a premium deliver er of the other service or services you offer.

For instance being very aggressively priced carpet cleaner in an area can get you a lot of jobs that you can bid on tile and grout and duct cleaning. Or any combination.

However virtually all business plans if aggressively pursued and thought out work very well.

I do have to agree with the Desk Jockey that any extra service you offer you must be able to do it right or don't do it.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

randy

Name
Randy
We have lots of customers doing a good job with this turbine-powered brush system and Dual Vac Portables. Your portable should have 200 CFM or so right at the source of this brush rotation.

It vacuums a few inches from the agitation.

View attachment 6413

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72&products_id=2545

I think the HydroForce electric brush system will also do a good job if the tech is through.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70&products_id=1440
That's a Ken Harris bullshit thing. I had one, it was awful . By a used rotobrush for $2,000 or go with a push pull system. Check laws as some states require a Hvac license to cut a hole in the line. Also many people don't want you CUTTING A HOLE. If you do, install a nice door port, don't do a tape and run.

That being said, Airduct cleaning is a pain in the ass. If the vents are in the ceiling it can be a pain getting them screwed back in. Often you have to cut the vent out as it has been painted over 67 times. Then the people want you to repaint their whole ceiling. I urge you, beg you to do a ride along with someone before taking the leap into air duct cleaning. Someone with a push pull system that does it correctly. It not that profitable. I would push commercial carpet cleaning like CRAZY and tile & grout. Buy a cimex or similar HIGH PRODUCTION machine and make bank in the business you are in.

If you want to start another business, go to beauty school.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I agree with everything the guy above said except the rotobrush. I had 2 of them and the older coke cooler design worked better than the newer one. Keep that in mind if you go that route. I hated doing it. It’s a 2-3 man job. It’s not a single owner op friendly service. If you decide to do it with just a portable, you can’t guarantee full removal.

Duct cleaning is one of those services where there’s only 1 proper way. Negative sir system. If you don’t want to go that deep in it, don’t mess with the portable. Stay with carpet.

randy

Name
Randy
I agree with everything the guy above said except the rotobrush.

#ME TOO

Except when the house is a slab or condo. Push pull is then worthless.

The Air +xp was pretty good. I played with three different rotobrush models that I bought at auction to resell. Not a bad unit just way way OVERPRICED. Where the rotobrush shines is condos. Getting your average negative air unit up more than a few steps is a no go.

The bottomline, knowing what I now know, air duct cleaning was a horrible idea.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The bottomline, knowing what I now know, air duct cleaning was a horrible idea.

I think ultrasonic blind cleaning and drop ceiling spray 'n run cleaning is way to go for add on services ......

1604408848005.png

..L.T.A.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I think ultrasonic blind cleaning and drop ceiling spray 'n run cleaning is way to go for add on services ......

View attachment 103286

..L.T.A.
Ultrasonic blind cleaning is a pita. You either need a shop or a box truck with the unit mounted inside. You have to be able to dry them sufficiently to rehang if doing on location. If doing in a shop, you have to do a large volume to make it worthwhile. Ceiling cleaning though is like liquid gold for some. spray & run describes accurately.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Ultrasonic blind tanks are a hefty investment for start-up, sideline work. We dropped blind cleaning, just not enough profit for the hassle. Too many jobs cancel when you explain you can't fix the paint damage caused by them squirting the blinds with Windex.

Ceiling cleaning is a cheap add-on sideline, but still has to be done correctly. Spray and run can leave a star field of bleach spots on the carpet. As carpet cleaners, we've been blamed for this enough in restaurants that we just move the tables to show the perfect carpet under each table. Not sure what re-carpeting a restaurant costs, but it would probably take the fun out of that service.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Any of my customers who don’t actually use us and want to spray, I tell them where to get the equipment and what to use. Doesn’t bother me in the least. We’re killing it! By the way, they’ll be suing Home Depot Pro first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom