AirPath Clone??

I see that Powrflite came out with an answer for the Airpath with the "Black Max" Downdraft Dryer. It looks like the Old Style Airpath Clone to me.

Has anyone bought one yet?? ....I wonder how it compares to the original airpath in quality and performance.

I also see the Black Max is listed for $100 less compared to the Airpath.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I'm impressed. At least now the comparisons to the F5 and the F6 will die down. :)

I guess the real question now is whether the patented louvers that direct a laminar airflow is worth $100(the price difference).

I am eager to do a side by side.

Regardless, the buyer now has a real option to cosider that we have something comparable.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Carry? No.

But we are an Authorized DriEaz Distributor, and the new AirPath uses the identical part of the old Studebaker unit. As such, we can order it anytime.

So far, we have had no customers have need yet, so we have not brought in any in for stock yet.

Greenie

50lbs!

Note to self: if you are gonna copy a product, make it better, not heavier.

-JB-

Name
JB
This look familiar?

5002188.jpg

I thought so too.

We've been using these for a couple years now... $50, yeah, $50.

And I guaratfreakintee, it works just as well. Dries them FAST!

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=2&paID=428&sonID=428&page=1&productID=29640

One bad thing, it only has about a 6.6 ft cord. :cry: It's no big deal, for $50, buy more.
You do have to bend one prong out of the way to get it too face downward, is that worth $400??
3 speed selections
Angles great in ANY position, works real nice for stairs!
Low amperage too!

Hope this helps!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
those are great fans I have a few in my garage they can get with it

ya know....................they are not high amperage....with a little electrical smarts one could fix them so they work separate or piggy back together.................

-JB-

Name
JB
I've often thought that too, but I'm either too f'in lazy, or stoopid ta doo it.

I would rather just buy more fans! :lol:

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Two words.......

Laminar Airflow

Without it, you lose efficiency and make a mess of every light object not glued down. 10,000 CFM out of control.

Little John

My brother got one of those from the Service master he use to work for.

Works great for drying walls inside.

DUSTY

louvers

Any dryer that does not have the patented louver design will be horribly in-effective.

We tested the Airpath VS another unit a while back and there was no competition. The Airpath won hands down.

Here is a thread from a while back on another board:

Just hired a cc to do an objective test of an Airpath and Powerflite.....NO CONTEST.. the pf takes 2-3 times longer to dry.(at least)... $800 sounds better all the time. P.S.the pf takes up way to much valuable space. P.S.S.
our new yellow page ad promises 20 minute dry times..adios Chem Dry.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----
Re: AIRPATH RULES!!!!
Posted By Lee Cory on 2/28/2006 at 8:48 AM crap... I just got the 3 fan deal from Powerflite.

Oh well, 3 fans for the price of one isn't that bad.

----
Posted By Jonnylotech on 2/28/2006 at 9:11 AM Takes twice as long to dry (exactly what was mentioned in the ads)....for one third the price....?

Sounds like Powr-Flite wins hands down!

ET

----
Posted By Curt Johnson on 2/28/2006 at 9:38 AM If the Airpath works as advertised, why is it overpriced?

----
Posted By Jonnylotech on 2/28/2006 at 9:50 AM It's not. It just depends on what is actually required to do the job and the investment you want to make.

The choice is the consumers.

----
Posted By Mikey P on 2/28/2006 at 11:38 AM I love mine and would buy another in a heartbeat.

----
Posted By Shawn Forsythe on 2/28/2006 at 12:08 PM Jonnylotech,

By your reasoning, a truckmount is an unecessary invention.

Labor and time are a service company's greatest cost, and primary commodity of sale. Calculate the reduction in expeditures over time, after deducting cost, and in most cases the more expensive labor saving device creates the most profit, and in a very short payback interval. Nevermind the time aggravation factor(who wants to sit and watch carpet dry with a cheap fan).

No brainer? I think so.

-Shawn-

Modified By Shawn Forsythe on 2/28/2006 at 12:08 PM

----
Posted By fred boyle on 2/28/2006 at 12:16 PM Shawn,

But can the air path dry 3 areas at the same time vs having 3 power flite versions?

I'm certain the Airpath is a superior unit, it should be for the price.

We still have 2 Turbo Dryers on each truck used for rapid drying so what do I know.

----
Posted By bryan ohaleck on 2/28/2006 at 12:19 PM Just did a very problematic 100 foot basement hallway in a school. There is no air movement in the hall, the carpet is a low-loop commercial glue-down and they get it cleaned twice a year though it needs to be cleaned every month.

We used to open doors at both ends of the hall and put several standard airmovers in a line to get air through the hall. Dry time of about three hours required post cleaning work to attend to slight wicking.

This time we tried one Airpath in the center with two turbo dryers blowing away from it on opposite sides and about twenty-five feet away.

The carpet was dry from the Airpath to about five feet in front of the turbo dryers in twenty minutes. The rest of the carpet was still damp 90 minutes later. Next time two Airpaths for this job.

PS: One thing that isn't advertised is how far away the Airpath will dry commercial carpet. You can dry a large unobstructed space pretty fast with one of these.

----
Posted By Extreme Steam on 2/28/2006 at 1:00 PM $800 for a fan? you can buy 100 bonnets for that price .and look proffesional for going the extra mile.while padding in protector for that extra dry time and $$$ lol

----
Posted By Shawn Forsythe on 2/28/2006 at 1:04 PM Fred,

The difference, is that you would HAVE TO use three units to come close to the performance.

Heft those three.
Move those three around the room several times(you don't have to move an airpath once set in the middle of the room) Heft the three around the house.

Still a no brainer.

Would you use two or three portables to clean a house, or one truckmount?
Same logic.
Modified By Shawn Forsythe on 2/28/2006 at 1:09 PM

----
Posted By fred boyle on 2/28/2006 at 1:29 PM How about outfitting 3 vans with the power flite version?

I realize I am arguing with someone that probably sells the Airpath, but sometimes you try to cut costs for some equipment you purchase.

Like the Turbo that originally sold for $1400 and now sells for alot less, the Airpath hopefully will come down as well. Molded plastic and a motor.

Power flite has observed that the Airpath is a bit costly and hopefully will have the effect of reducing the price of this valuable but expensive tool.

Now before anyone jumps on me for being the high priced cleaner that can't afford quality... get over it, the pricing structure on our tools is partially driven by manufacturing costs and also how much they think we'll pay for it.

Power-flite competition is good, we have options, I realize saleman like Shawn gotta eat but I enjoy an occassional meal myself.

Fred

----
Posted By Shawn Forsythe on 2/28/2006 at 2:35 PM Fred,

If it adds any detail. I sell a variety of axial fans. And for applications that call for the type of fan which is represented by the Powerflite, it is othe one that is reccommended.

Each tool has a function. Each tool is reccommended for its purpose.

It so happens that the Airpath is the most economical tool for drying carpet after a normal carpet extraction.

Axial fans are for general purpose room air evacuation or for general purpose directed air movement. They do not work well for laminar flow for whole room.

-Shawn-
Modified By Shawn Forsythe on 2/28/2006 at 2:36 PM

----
Posted By Shawn Forsythe on 2/28/2006 at 2:38 PM As to your pricing observations.

Costs which may not be considered here are:

R&D
Specialized parts
Patent and attorney fees
Economics of quantity

How about Horsepower, fan blade type, CFM?
You know, that makes a difference too.

----
Posted By Lisa Smith-Lydon on 2/28/2006 at 2:46 PM I would rather see the Airpath upgrade their components, even at a higher cost. It's a bit fragile as it is. If they brought in some more durable materials (carbon fiber, titanium, etc.), they could make that fan eat the low priced competition for lunch.

Manufacturers tend to see us as cheap and not willing to pay for quality, but I firmly believe we will pay for QUALITY and PERFORMANCE. When you spread the cost of a tool out over it's projected lifetime paying more for quality is pennies in the long run, and think of the time and energy saved by tools that perform and last. When you see the broader picture the choice is not so difficult.

Take care,
Lisa

----
Posted By Curt Johnson on 2/28/2006 at 2:47 PM Extreme Steam, do you really think it'd look more professional to use over 100 bonnets trying to dry a carpet that you could air dry in 20 minutes?

If the idea is professionalism I think that would be the main reason to get an airpath.(which I do not have) In my business anyway efficiency counts a long way toward being professional. What about wear and tear on your body, your floor machine, buying all those bonnets, washing them, etc.......

----
Posted By Jonnylotech on 2/28/2006 at 3:39 PM Shawn, shawn, shawn,

Don't be so tranparent and simple. YES, YOU ARE AN AIRPATH DEALER, NO, you have NEVER bought or sold a Powr-Flite F-6. (I know...I'm the VP at
Powr-Flite.) Quality business people view this bulletin board every day to get honest information...not your marketing inuendo. The moment you stop with your self-serving diatribe and make an attempt to help our industry's professionals will be the moment you are respected for something other than a hack. Granted, the air path is the Cadillac, but a lot more people drive Chevys to get from point A to point B.

As an executive at Powr-Flite I need good input to get better.....Shawn, you are not helping! (By the way we have sold hundreds of our units....funny the only complaints we've got is from Airpath dealers.)

Your Friendly Chevy Dealer,

Eric

----
Posted By Tracy Walker on 2/28/2006 at 3:42 PM If the Airpath would lower the price to around $500 I bet they could sell a ton.

----
Posted By Bright-1 on 2/28/2006 at 4:04 PM Did he just call Shawn Forsythe a hack? Play nice boys! Enjoy your Caddies and Chevies but don't try to run each other down with them Jonny...

----
Posted By Jonnylotech on 2/28/2006 at 4:24 PM You are right Bright 1, I'll be good. But for guy who always likes to take a shot at our business without the facts...it's hard to resist the obvious.

Eric

----
Posted By Shorty Glanville on 2/28/2006 at 4:32 PM Go on, make me envious.

We don't get none of these machines down under, hmph.

But, going by the first post, if you had three rooms to clean, (working on Doug's times), why not stick a P/F in the first two rooms, and the A/P in the third room.

By the time your gear is packed away, all three rooms should be dry.

Putting away the first P/F and grooming the carpet, & so on, will allow that bit extra for the next room to dry.

As for moving (hefting) fans from room to room, it's not much different from bringing in three from the van.

Alternatively, just buy one A/P, for the price of 2 - 3 P/F, save the extra room in the van, & move it from room to room, as it dries.

Putting your gear away, making out the account and talking with your customer, (or if an MT, doing a letterbox drop), will allow for the third room to dry.

One other thing, what is price??

At todays rate, your US$800.00 is equivalent to Aus$1,078.13

With freight, duties, profit margins, etc; I would be looking at paying about Aus$2,000.00 per fan.

In labour time, it wouldn't take long for that fan to pay for itself.

Then it's all cream.

Cheers,

Shorty.

PS:: WHEN IS THE 220/240 VOLT MODEL AIRPATH, BEING RELEASED??????
Modified By Shorty Glanville on 2/28/2006 at 4:33 PM

----
Posted By Jonnylotech on 2/28/2006 at 4:41 PM Shorty,

E-mail me (e.titus@tacony.com) and I'll arrange a 220 unit for you...(it's currently being produced!)

Meantime....does a fans blades spin the opposite way on the other side of the equator?

Eric

----
Posted By Lee Cory on 2/28/2006 at 4:47 PM I think I got a good deal with my Powerflite order. Who cares if the other one dries faster. With the new Genesis I hope to not need a fan anyway.
Actually with my Performance machine I don't need a fan.

Stick the Powerflite fan in the living room for a bit and it should be fine.

----
Posted By Shawn Forsythe on 2/28/2006 at 4:54 PM Jonnylotech,

Thanks for the explanation. However, it holds no credibility.

While you have but the one type to sell for the purpose of this discussion..... A Distributor has the greater luxury of a whole slew of axial fans, all with differing strengths and weaknesses to fulfil the actual niche applications for each.

If you want the flash, any axial will do. For a specific purpose, just puitting wheels and an a handle on a weak axial is not even close to a vaned, low deck, powerful full-room unit just for that very purpose.

Likewise, the Airpath is a much lesser unit than a a typical axial for upholstery cushion drying or room air evacuation.

Your ad-hominem attack is weak, at best, and embarrassing to your claim.

-Shawn-

----
Posted By Jonnylotech on 2/28/2006 at 4:56 PM Good Luck Shawn.

Eric

----
Jonnyloclass
Posted By chris muetterties on 2/28/2006 at 5:25 PM I DO NOT SELL ANYTHING

What I do is look for people hiding behind a screen name taking shots at guys how have been posting with real names on this BB for the 6+ years ive been coming here.

If you are truly the VP of Power-Flite I want to take this chance to thank you for showing your true colors by slinking around this site. This is how I measure a stand up company who takes care of problems when needed. I'm very happy for you that you have sold "hundreds of units" but I'm even more happy that I've never bought from a guy who conducts himself like you have here.

1 last point. I have never bought anything from Shawn. I have met him at SF
2001 and seen him again at a few shows but I know that Shawn would never know who I am. I am writing this becuase he has always shown everyone who he is and what he sell's but will help out anyone that needs help in our industry weather or not he is selling them anything.

Chris Muetterties
Modified By chris muetterties on 2/28/2006 at 5:26 PM

----
Incredibly GREAT thread!! Thanks Jonny.
Posted By Devil on 2/28/2006 at 5:48 PM
My goodness I love Jonnylotech!! Wow!! What a way to hit this board....guns ablazing.

What just happened was a guy got called out for B.S., and I keep saying...this board is full of it.

LOL!

Dog

----
Posted By Shorty Glanville on 2/28/2006 at 5:55 PM Hey Dog, where's Kenny??

Cheers,

Shorty.

----
Posted By Devil on 2/28/2006 at 6:07 PM
Please elaborate Shorty.

Dog

----
Posted By Karen Weehunt on 2/28/2006 at 6:11 PM Hey Jonny/Eric,

Something happened to your profile. Chris, Eric never intended to fool anyone. He has posted previously as himself and since I entered his profile personally (don't know what happened to it) and since I work for the man I can say he is the VP of Marketing for Powr-Flite. Let me ask you... as a manufacturer, what do you do when someone takes pot shots at your product with no facts to back it up and misrepresents themselves?

And just to make it more interesting...my husband has worked for Cadillac for 34 years - we've never owned one...he says they are a piece of c**#.
Getting along just fine with my cruiser.

Karen - Advertising Flunky

----
Posted By Devil on 2/28/2006 at 6:15 PM
Well....If I had anything to do with Cadillac I'd be trying to figure who your husband is.

LOL!

Good point though.

Dog

----
Posted By Jonnylotech on 2/28/2006 at 6:19 PM Wow Chris....

My profile says who I am...no slinking here! Wait a minute .....my assistant just checked and said my information has been erased from my profile!!!!
What is going on here!? I assure you I've posted before with full disclosure on who I am. AND my profile WAS completly honest. (check my past posts!) There are no secrets here. I will update my profile and talk to the moderator about this problem.

I'm not a slinker,

Eric Titus
VP Marketing
Powr-Flite/CFR
e.titus@tacony.com

Sorry for the confusion, Chris.

----
Posted By Jonnylotech on 2/28/2006 at 6:23 PM My profile is back up.

Again, my apologies.

ET

----
Posted By Devil on 2/28/2006 at 6:24 PM
Stay around Eric....we need guys like you here.

Some balance is appreciated.

Dog

----
Posted By Jonnylotech on 2/28/2006 at 6:28 PM Thanks Devil!

By the way Chris, if you do want to buy an Airpath, Shawn's web site is:
www.cccsupply.net

ET

----
Hey kAREN
Posted By brian e on 2/28/2006 at 7:01 PM TELL YOUR HUSBAND TO GROW SOME NUTS AND QUIT WASTING HIS LIFE MAKING A PRODUCT HE DOESN'T BELIEVE IN. YOU GET ALL PISSY WHEN SOMEONE SLAMS YOUR COMPANIES CHEAP KNOCK OFF PRODUCTS. Brian E -happy owner of 8 GM vehicles and proud to be married to a GM employee.

----
Posted By Lee Stockwell on 2/28/2006 at 7:49 PM Brian that was uncalled for. Karen has been very helpful here several times and has been very gracious under fire.

I appreciate all of the manufacturers who post here.

Thanks,
Lee

----
Posted By brian e on 2/28/2006 at 8:00 PM I stand by what I said. There is a lot of people working hard to make GM successful and trying to keep their jobs and retirement. For someone to knock a company that is giving them Health Insurance and retirement after 30 years service is digraceful and shows a lack of class. Brian E

----
Posted By jimmy nardella on 2/28/2006 at 8:05 PM I agree with Lee. I appreciate the helpful manufacturers who Post here. I have had great service and equipment from Power-flite at great prices.
Modified By jimmy nardella on 2/28/2006 at 8:08 PM

----
I stand by my "that time of the month comment."
Posted By Devil on 2/28/2006 at 8:35 PM
And Brian is the PERFECT example.

Geez.

Lighten up.

Dog

----
Posted By Shorty Glanville on 2/28/2006 at 9:02 PM Hey Devil Dog, re your earlier post:
"What just happened was a guy got called out for B.S.," just made me wonder, whatever happened to Kenny the Sliding Canadian??

Cheers,

Shorty.

----
Posted By Devil on 2/28/2006 at 9:21 PM
Heck if I know.

Dog

----
Posted By Bright-1 on 2/28/2006 at 9:30 PM BANNED! ?

----
Re: Scorecard...
Posted By Jim Eckman on 2/28/2006 at 9:47 PM Shawn Forsythe- 3156 helpful, well informed posts...with a background in the chemistry and machinery used by pros in the trade.

jonilotek- 13 comments- You decide what type.

We value your input, Shawn.-Jim

----
Posted By Greenie on 2/28/2006 at 10:03 PM Jim beat me to it!

Greenie

ps: I haven't got to run the f6 against the AP, but I did the Mytee fan...paleeze, do they even test this stuff?
I am going to give my Dist. who carry the crap so much sh*t until they bring in some good stuff.
It's time we quit being so cheap, and started demanding quality first, and price second, it's just killing the industry.

----
Posted By Devil on 2/28/2006 at 10:14 PM That sounds like a pretty self serving statement Greenie.

Sounds like YOU might be selling something.

The point is that there are different levels of quality.

Does everyone need a Vortex? No.

Does everyone need a Caddy? No.

There is an inbetween.

And NO...cheapness in this industry is not what is hurting it.

Misinformation is what is killing it.

Dog

----
Posted By Dave Rampage on 2/28/2006 at 10:37 PM I agree with Greenie. We do need to buy the quality items. Too many cleaners are too cheap. I want quality and will only buy from companies that provide the highest quality and back their products up with real service. I wish more of you would also.

You wonder why you can't get more for your services.

Dave

----
Posted By larry capitoni on 2/28/2006 at 11:41 PM "The moment you stop with your self-serving diatribe and make an attempt to help our industry's professionals will be the moment you are respected for something other than a hack"

Eric, your ignorance is showing

..L.T.A.

----
Of course Toad would butt in....
Posted By Curt Johnson on 3/1/2006 at 12:36 AM Toad finds a new chump who doesn't yet know what he's really like so he buddy's up to him......real cool.

I bet Toad got many, many "private emails" from others backing him up too.

Toad, go back and read the first post on this thread, then re-read yours.
Did you add any insight at all??? No, just stirring the pot.

You're a boner.

----
Posted By Mr.Smak(Scott Mckay) on 3/1/2006 at 1:39 AM Curt, are the rumors true about you at winterfest.

Who is the devil?

I've always loved shawns posts. I thought he was one of us cleaners. Now that I know he is a supplier I'm going to track him down. He is one smart helpful guy who I always enjoy reading his posts.

Scott

----
Posted By bryan ohaleck on 3/1/2006 at 2:15 AM
Posted By Curt Johnson
If the Airpath works as advertised, why is it overpriced?
----
Posted By Jonnylotech
It's not. It just depends on what is actually required to do the job and the investment you want to make.

I'd agree with J-Lo here.

If you want to dry an expanse of carpet, pay the money for an Airpath. If
you just want to look like you're drying an expanse of carpet, it doesn't
matter if you buy a cheaper product.

----
Brian E
Posted By Karen Weehunt on 3/1/2006 at 9:39 AM
Just for the record...don't assume everyone works for GM when they say
Cadillac.

When you work over 30 years in a bodyshop at a dealership you don't get
health insurance or retirement... you get bad feet and arthritis. You also
get 30 years of experience in automotive design that shows Cadillacs aren't
put together any differently than your average Chevy. In fact many of the
parts are interchangeable...they just cost more if you call them Cadillac.

It is true dedication to your job as a master craftsman when you work for a
company for over 30 years with no "retirement" funded by the company, just
what you have saved as a knowledgeable consumer by buying the right tool for
the job and knowing that the "name" is only going to cost you more in the
long run.

Karen W... Proud owner of 1 Chrysler, 1 Dodge, 1 Ford and 1 Chevy. And 30
years married to a hardworking man who makes 'em better than they were when
they came off the assembly line!

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
I wrote about top down drying in 87 for cleanfax,,,

Carpet cleaners would see our fans mounted on wheeled dollies.

An say why do you bother...last laff here...

But regardless of fan or dryer or what ever version you buy...

Just use them...period...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom