and another..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
but the money may be better spent explaining to BDCCs what the IICRC actually is.

That they're a "certifying" body?
They'll get even less biz because a cert is no value to 97.8333% of BDCC'ers when consumers have never heard of them

education is valuable(and one can get that any number of places) but all that cert (and $1.89) gets you is a large froo-froo coffee at Circle K

..L.T.A.

FredC

Village Idiot
That they're a "certifying" body?
They'll get even less biz because a cert is no value to 97.8333% of BDCC'ers when consumers have never heard of them

education is valuable(and one can get that any number of places) but all that cert (and $1.89) gets you is a large froo-froo coffee at Circle K

..L.T.A.

I don't think this is true at all.

People take the classes and test every day. Most will probably want the tshirt. I assume many will renew.

The certification is there so that you can market it (and make them money). Customers may not know exactly what it is but they will know if you have it (or claim to) and others don't.

and you are only thinking carpet cleaning

Most vendor programs require certified firms.

That type of penetration just isn't likely in the consumer CCing market though.

besides, why do people want the IICRC marketing to their customers unless they are the only certified in the area

Last edited:
Reactions: Cleanworks

Mikey P

Administrator
Sorry I've been busy for the past few hours love the picture of the day but what the hell are we talkin about?

P MVIMG_20191220_132024.jpg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
and you are only thinking carpet cleaning

That's the vast majority of BDCC'ers.
Most aren't doing restoration nor in "vendor programs"

and I don't know what percentage renew, but maybe do a poll here how many were, but are no longer cert or cert firms

Yo...Mikee
what certs do you currently have?
and how long have you had them?

..L.T.A.

FredC

Village Idiot
That's the vast majority of BDCC'ers.
Most aren't doing restoration nor in "vendor programs"

and I don't know what percentage renew, but maybe do a poll here how many were, but are no longer cert or cert firms

Yo...Mikee
what certs do you currently have?
and how long have you had them?

..L.T.A.

I have a couple certs ( expired)

They have the best education system and they are reaching their target market which is carpet cleaners, restoration, etc not the general public. That is who wants the education and will likely purchase the tshirt to show that they have it.

The expectation that they should be marketing the certification for you to the general public or there is no value is misguided imo.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I went thougt the courses but they never would send me my new ID cards. Even after I called them and renewed, nope, no new card. Oh well. Can’t say it really had hurt or helped my business.

FredC

Village Idiot
If I did get back into it, and I may, I would most likely renew and include the certifications in my marketing

* I don't find them particularly relevant or authoritative but that doesn't mean I wouldn't use them to my benefit

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Most of the courses I took I found valuable and worth the money, excluding one dye course and one repair course. Lousy instructors. I gained certification in carpet cleaning, upholstery, commercial maintenance, mold remediation, water damage but have let everything expire. One of my biggest problems with the iicrc was that they never communicated with me. Never let me know that my certs were about expire, never any info about additional courses, nothing but a black hole where my fees went.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
although 2nd generation owner of my parents business, having come from 20yrs of large scale viticultural management I see certification slightly more cynically

If I had a brand new dumb as a rock employee, I would get them certified for tractor driving, quad riding and horticultural chem handling and spraying.
Not because our employees are our greatest asset and we believe in further education (the official lie)

But because when my dumb as a rock employee has a brain fart on my site, under my management, I can hang him out to dry.
My butt is covered, my immediate manager who would give aforementioned butt a kicking is covered, and the board of directors above are covered.

I'm not going to go into why the IICRC doesn't have a great rep in my locale... 😳

although I've taken other courses, I'm currently only certed on wdr and felt I learned something and had a good instructor.
I would like to do my AMRT as I've heard good reviews from those who have taken it.

But again its a butt covering exercise, if something goes wrong and I've followed an accepted standard it's not my fault

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

FredC

Village Idiot
But again its a butt covering exercise, if something goes wrong and I've followed an accepted standard it's not my fault

I believe this is another misconception.........although one used to the IICRC benefit (another big one is that its existence staves off government regulation)

If you did something that can be shown to be wrong the fact you did it according to a published "standard" doesn't necessarily get you off the hook

see disclaimer

*laws differ....ymmv

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I believe this is another misconception.........although one used to the IICRC benefit (another big one is that its existence staves off government regulation)

If you did something that can be shown to be wrong the fact you did it according to a published "standard" doesn't necessarily get you off the hook

see disclaimer

*laws differ....ymmv
which is why every business should have there own disclaimer above and beyond having an IICRC app or link

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom