Animal Hides? To protect or not to protect, that is the question.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
I have a client with a new cowhide rug (why????). She wants to know if I recommend applying protector. She wants to know how to spot clean it. I just want to know why she bought it! Wasn't there a nice area rug available at the box store?

I've done some limited spot cleaning of hides before, but I'm hoping someone can educate me further. Would you recommend protector? Solvent or water based? I'd lean towards solvent but I'm open to being educated. As far as washing is concerned, can you perform a full washing on a hide and then condition the leather so it's soft again?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've only dry cleaned with Capture or Host. We are always concerned with water or solvent damaging the actual skin.

We see all kinds of animal skins bear, cow, zebra. Mounted stuff comes in with fires too. We vacuum, chem sponge, dry compound clean.

e0ef1410-9647-4ba2-bb57-3b13f5692cb4_zpsc3f09099.jpg

ea2d33fd-ce52-45f7-b325-bda197e80d07_zpsbb6b612b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jeff Madsen

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Interesting. I'd like to hear more about that process.

Is it cleaned in one of your machines? What is the skin treated with? What's the average charge?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Capture? You're never going to hear the end of this!

If the hide is in OK condition: no mangy areas, soft hide, no tears or cracks, we'll use a low moisture furniture tool to wet clean. If subject to a lot of use we'll wash them in the Moore machine. If the hide is real dry you'll need to charge enough to cover the amount of conditioner a hide can soak up.

We had some arrive in garbage bags, solid with mud from a Montana cabin flood. Washed up great.

A fluorochemical protectant would probably be OK to use, particularly since you can get at the back to condition if needed. Never use a silicone protector on leather though, it stops the leather from being able to absorb conditioner, dooming the leather to dry out until it falls apart.

Reactions: Jeff Madsen

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Oh Boy have I got a client, Writer for Outdoor Life : )

Looks like I'll have to move from the hanging crew to the cleaning guy.
Jim has a Cape with snot frothing out the nostrils, his wife hated it so we put up a Kudu.
Both whipped outr azzez on the ladders that day : )

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I have a client with a new cowhide rug (why????). She wants to know if I recommend applying protector.

I've done some limited spot cleaning of hides before, but I'm hoping someone can educate me further. Would you recommend protector? Solvent or water based? I'd lean towards solvent but I'm open to being educated.

Jeff;

A solvent-based fluorochemical will dry so quickly . . .

that minimal solvent will even reach beyond the surface fibers.

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=78&products_id=1226

Larry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom