Another $5K day...

Able 1

Name
Keith
When I'm slow and I see other companies out cleaning I go out and do 3000 flyers.. I killed it with my last batch, I sat on my ass for 10 hours and got around $2000 in new business that SM will make sure I keep around.. Residential is great money, rentals just keep my guy busy when it's slow..

We still have 3 great months for cleaning!!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
No disrespect or gloating intended and appreciate Jimbo's comments too....

Just hoping the post is more about what you can do as a small business & owner operator types in a day....

I don't want to come off different as every day is a "bowl of cherries", or the "pie in the sky"....

We have those tough days and sometimes lucky if we make a $100 bucks.... (or even .10 cents)

And some days....it's just plain tough out there....

So, just keep on trying everyone...and we really wish you so much success and hope you are able to find something that can make your business a little easier.....

and afford at least a nice little trip south for a few days too after a lot of hard work in the cleaning season :)

Our Best to you all and thank you for being here too :)

hogjowl

Idiot™
I haven't said Mark was lying. I haven't thought that. I'm just concerned that in an ICS way we sometimes give off false impressions that can, at times, be harmful. If all you see are success stories of the grand time events, a guy going through a slow time can find him or herself thinking there is something wrong with them that may not actually be the case. Even the guy who claims he hands out 3000 fliers and gets booked up two weeks in advance is reporting things that are not experienced by others here, who tell stories of doing the same thing and getting two calls. There's always things left out of the conversation that need to be stated to get a clear picture of the events in practice.

It's like a conversation I had the other day with a guy who is purchasing a new TM and van. The dude went on about his unit and all and in the middle of the conversation he mentioned that his monthly payment was going to be less than a thousand dollars a month. He advised me to go through the same leasing company he did. What he didn't mention, and I had to actively drag out of him was he'd paid a $25,000 cash down payment. No big deal, and a guy in business as long as I have been knew to ask that question. However, a young dude might need to know that stuff before he got his hopes up and spent time and mental energy exploring an option he might not be able to afford.

Every now and then we just need a pragmatist to filter the pie in the sky information and back slapping that goes on here.

If you lemmings see that as a downer ... sorry, get over it.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
here is the deal doe. :winky:

We all love new trucks, tools & equipment. We all want to do a great job so that we continue to get referrals BUTT (don't cha hate that exta "T":lol:) what are you doing to ensure a steady stream of work will continue to come your way?

If its "I'm too busy to market" I'll wait until I get slow to market then you are the reason it slows down.

Now I'm not talking about a winter slow down, those in cold weather states can market till they turn green and you can't get work with 10-inches of snow on the ground. I know this bitch! :angry:

I'm tawkin bout a commitment to bringing in work by either face to face contact or money spent to do so. If a guy tells me he is slow I want to know what is he doing to stimulate business. If the answer is nothing then he is his own worst enemy.

If this is you, take the weekend, set a budget and map out the rest of the year. How much for each month, whom are you trying to reach? What is the best vehicle to do so. Devise a plan and stick to it whether you are slow or busy be consistent.

You have several major holidays that have enormous potential if marketed to properly and with adequate time.

I think you'll see that marketing will help keep work in your pipeline! Good luck! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Russ T. and Brian H

Brian H

Name
Brian H
If this is you, take the weekend, set a budget and map out the rest of the year. How much for each month, whom are you trying to reach? What is the best vehicle to do so. Devise a plan and stick to it whether you are slow or busy be consistent.

And here I thought i could just relax and drink beer all weekend!! :very_drunk:

Well put both Rich and Marty!!! :clap:

Reactions: Desk Jockey

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
and i would lik to add that i found mysef in a some what similar situation as Mark...
albeit different as i was in the honeyhole of the ghetto.......brag????? no jus tellin' the truff.....

keep on trucking Mark...you are an inspiration!

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I haven't said Mark was lying. I haven't thought that. I'm just concerned that in an ICS way we sometimes give off false impressions that can, at times, be harmful. If all you see are success stories of the grand time events, a guy going through a slow time can find him or herself thinking there is something wrong with them that may not actually be the case. Even the guy who claims he hands out 3000 fliers and gets booked up two weeks in advance is reporting things that are not experienced by others here, who tell stories of doing the same thing and getting two calls. There's always things left out of the conversation that need to be stated to get a clear picture of the events in practice.

It's like a conversation I had the other day with a guy who is purchasing a new TM and van. The dude went on about his unit and all and in the middle of the conversation he mentioned that his monthly payment was going to be less than a thousand dollars a month. He advised me to go through the same leasing company he did. What he didn't mention, and I had to actively drag out of him was he'd paid a $25,000 cash down payment. No big deal, and a guy in business as long as I have been knew to ask that question. However, a young dude might need to know that stuff before he got his hopes up and spent time and mental energy exploring an option he might not be able to afford.

Every now and then we just need a pragmatist to filter the pie in the sky information and back slapping that goes on here.

If you lemmings see that as a downer ... sorry, get over it.

Hmmmm....

Do I know this guy :)

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
I met Mark in FL a few months back and he is a true gem. He's got willpower we could dream of even though we think we are great cleaners. Last year he told you the rough part of his business a cold MN winter a challenging year, an employee who left who didn't believe a great opportunity existed, numbers were falling behind all year. Now it's Fall of 2014, thing are starting to happen. A great Entrepruener will always roll up his sleeves and show whats possible. If you never met Mark you have a true great friend and someone who will teach you....I promise you that much! Kudos Mark and Family!!!

Bryan S. Bennett

Supportive Member
Name
Central Steamer Professional Carpet & Upholstery Cleaning
A similar situation for me....back up 10 years, cash flow was poor 4 weeks left. Lost 75000 my first year as a new carpet cleaning business after working a successful career the last 13 years as the National Transportation Manager for Coca-Cola. Left a dream job that always paid 100% of my performance bonuses to be in biz for myself. My big dream was to always work for myself and control my time, not anyone controlling me. So I started my businesss, I volunteered to help with Katrina victims my first year because my newly formed business was bones slow. Took a chance. Helped others to the best of my ability and my last few days in Biloxi MN the phone started ringing for carpet cleaning jobs. I came back to PA after helping others in need and have never looked back. We love this work and life has been great, at least better than one could expect. I'm smart enough to know that it could all end tomorrow, but as any business Entrepruener would say..........my best will always exist to the very end. Ken Snow would say that without hesitation and Mark Saiger is brave enough to humbly say I will show you too!

Name
Marcus
This is not an easy business to make. A profit the first 2-3 years ...gotta cut expenses
As much as possible.
Carpet cleaning class said 1/3 owners drop out the first year and another 1/3 the next 2-3 years
Only 1/3 make it as owners in this business if I remember correctly.

That being said it is a good business if you can cut expenses and are. Self motivated

Able 1

Name
Keith
I think I did 42,000 in total sales my first year.. Maybe 55,000 the second.. :eekk: here was my first flyer from 05'
1441339652596.jpg

:icon_redface: I did 50,000 of them,and didn't get much from them... I think people are over ad's that state low prices. You will lose money at the prices shown above, and I did.. I made almost nothing in my first two-three years.

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
These guys bought an Oxi Fresh Franchise for 35k and make it look easy to make millions...

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/249252

"Our investment range [for Oxi Fresh] was under $35,000, since we purchased an existing territory. The $35,000 was used largely for new equipment."

They're probably not posting on this board.....

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Mark has built an excellent reputation in his market. THAT'S the hard part. Anyone with enough $$$ can usually figure out a way to get the phone to ring....and even add trucks. Where will their reputation be in 10 years?

If they have the integrity, work ethic, and passion then they will be fine.

Saiger's is a fixture in the cleaning biz. It didn't happen by mistake. He loves what he does and it's obvious.

My biggest days (yes, I've made half of that alone more than once) are pushing the Cimex in a big commercial building.

But that's how I've done it on occasion. I'm tickled with far less, most days.

How are YOU setting yourself apart from your competition? I began to listen to guys like Mark and yes, am building a valuable reputation in my market.

When you have that reputation, you're customers will gladly pay more for a better job than the new guy with a plastic wand and a dream.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Before we all start sucking each others dicks here, I'd like to say Mark and have family has set a precedent for what an owner op can accomplish.

Its one that owner ops can relate to and emulate. Its a credit to himself & his upbringing that he shares this freely with us, in hope that we too can accomplish the same.

Thanks Mark & the Saiger family! :cool::cool::cool:

You guys rock! :headbang: :rockon:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom