Baby Pictures...

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
I thought I'd post a, "baby picture", of the revised Predator design. Over the last few months, in addition to designing the heat exchange system I've mentioned here, I've also improved the frame design of the Predator systems.

The new design is open, which allows much easier access to the pump out pump in the event that the impeller requires cleaning.

It also features a motor plate that slides forward (with the motor in place), to allow easy de-coupling / re-coupling of the motor and blower. This allows quick coupling insert change, belt change, and, at the same time, does not affect the motor alignment during the process.

The one shown below is of one that was in the process of being assembled.

The HX system (I've all but decided on the name, "Prometheus", for it), is being built on a frame that's very similar to this as well...

More later...

DSCN1203.jpg

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
"Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated..."

No, the plan is to be up and fully operational early this coming springtime, after testing the new exchanger here in Atlanta for a few months with one of my friends who cleans carpet. The new system will be the basis of the 3 initial HX systems offered, but L.P. will continue.

I'm in no hurry... The main thing is to do it right this time with no partners...

In the meantime, I do build on a per- order basis and continue to focus more on chemicals and the new exchanger system, as I've said before...

Fon Johnson

I think you need to do a beta test on that new h/e system with someone in a slightly colder region (such as Knoxville :wink: ) to see how it will affect temps. 8)

Al

I was thinking the same thing Fon but the New England area, CT perhaps

Jay D

Name
Jay D
Looks like an EZ :shock: . You going to put sides and a front on it?
I'm glad your making them again Duane cuz we need the small t.m. manufacturers to put out good innovative new machines.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Thanks...

The idea of having someone local do the first HX system is all about having quick access in the event that there's a problem with it. I've always done that in the past. And with a completely new system, I see it as even more important for me to have the ability to see it as soon as possible, should a problem show up.

This isn't to say that I "expect" a problem. I've put a lot of design time into this particular concept. But by definition, a "bug" is something that the designer didn't plan for, didn't see, etc.

As for it looking like an EZ. Ge, thanks. You really know how to make a guy feel great... just, greaaat... :?

But seriously, it is a baby picture, as I said. The finished system isn't as sparse in appearance.

And, "No.", other than belt guards and an exhaust shield, I don't plan to enclose it.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Fon...

I'm willing to consider building two as a test, instead of just one.

And for the record, once they're tested and proven to my (and the owners') satisfaction, the price will likely give some of you sticker shock. There are a couple of reasons for it, however.

1.) The design, while extremely simple compared to other HX systems, is not less expensive to build. At first, I expected it to be, but I soon realized that, in order to make it as bullet proof as it can be, I had to design and have made a very costly diverter for part of it, in addition to the second exchanger that the patent is for.

2.) Unlike previous ventures, the new company will focus on gaining distributors, literally from day 1. In order to provide the stability and long- term growth that is best suited for a manufacturer / supplier in this industry, prices will need to be higher, in order to make national (and international) distribution feasable.

The anticipated retail for the "Prometheus" heat exchange system is between $12,000 and $14,000, which will include accessories. It will deliver in excess of 200 degrees ATW, via a #6 jet or equivalent. That's with a 20 Kohler / #3006 Tuthill combination as the building blocks, and all accessories (3 reels, 200 ft. of hose, wand)

(Prometheus, by the way, is a Greek god, who defied Zeus and gave fire to Man.)

Duane

Fon Johnson

I'm excited to see the outcome. Keep me posted on your schedule and results. If it comes to fruition at the right time, I'd love to try one. Is there a plan to build one with a bigger motor/blower combo?

The Preacher

i heard you considered calling it "The Sutley" because it was gonna be cheep and had few appealing fetchers!!!

Scott

Cool looking machine Duaneo, but "Prometheus"??? We're carpet cleaners, not Greek literary geniuses.

How about Silver Dragon or something easier to say and remember? Trust me on this - the name is a real pooper.

Scott

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Fon:

The whole "gotta have a bigger motor and blower" thing became in vogue, as a result of HX systems being built... not out of an actual need for larger components for airflow, but in order to have more heat capability. That's why people are paying in excess of $20,000 for a system now, to run one wand... It's hype promoted by the national companies, in my opinion.

But the thing is, that that "need" is based upon a different philosophy on heat generation... These systems will turn that philosophy on it's ear...

(I'm not saying here that buying a large component system is dumb. A motor adopted from the automotive industry will last longer, and that means the potential of a good return on a long- term investment... and to hook a #36 blower up to one would be humorous.. But a system like that should be able to run more than 2 wands at a respectable temperature and flow rate to truly reach it's full potential... and NONE do... to my knowledge...)

But, hey, if people want to pay more for something that ultimately doesn't benefit them, it's their decision. I tell it like it is, demonstrate that I'm telling it the way it is, and if someone still wants larger, "just because", I'll build it.

Scott:

I've thought about it as well, regarding "Prometheus". But it's a multi- layered connotation, that I really like. The "gods" said it couldn't be done. Prometheus told them to stick it and did it anyway. (He paid through the nose for it, BTW, but it was a price he was willing to pay, to help Man and defy the "gods". (They didn't want Man to have fire, because it made him that much closer to them.. But enough of the Greek mythology lesson...))

I thought about some "typical" names for a system. They're typically, "aggressive", like "Avenger", "Dragon___", "SpitFire", "Predator", "Dominator", etc. But this system will be anything but "typical". So, I don't want a name that blends in with everything else. The name needs to seriously be different, because this system is so different.

But I'll do this: To anyone who comes up with a better name, that I choose.... I'll give $100 in the chemicals of their choice, shipped to anywhere in the continental U.S., free freight.

Go for it...

Scott

Duane Oxley said:
I've thought about it as well, regarding "Prometheus". But it's a multi- layered connotation, that I really like. The "gods" said it couldn't be done. Prometheus told them to stick it and did it anyway. (He paid through the nose for it, BTW, but it was a price he was willing to pay, to help Man and defy the "gods". (They didn't want Man to have fire, because it made him that much closer to them.. But enough of the Greek mythology lesson...))

That's pretty much my point, Duane.

You're thinking about what you like about the name instead of what/how your customers perceive it.

I would wager a guess that the "multi-layered connotation" will be known by a sliver of a fraction of prospects/purchasers. If it was easier to remember and drew a mental picture (maybe Zeus?) I'll bet it'll "stick" better with your prospects and help make it more successful.

Just my .02.

Scott

Jay D

Name
Jay D
OOPs......Sorry not meant as a slight :oops: I just meant it looked simple like a EZ. I like simple machines. No junk to make it hard to work on.

Fon Johnson

Sounds good to me, Duane. I know what kind of dry times I get with my 33 blower. The last complaint I have is about dry times. I'll work on that name. Few carpet cleaners have enough education and intellect to get that one.. LOL

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Duane Oxley said:
Fon:

I've thought about it as well, regarding "Prometheus". .

Duane
Stick with designing you are good at that. :)

Prometheus sounds kike something my mother would have had in her flower garden.

You could use one of your supporters "The Fonz" but that may give too 8) an impression.

If you are stuck on the gods what about Titan.

roro

FastEddie

Awesome machine Duane. Ultra compact with balls. How about trying a new color for the frame? I was thinking a cool candy apple red or blue would make it really come alive. Could be an option as well. It still looks great though.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Is it going to shred couplers
or smoke belts prematurely??

I've "heard" that's an issue
with some of your's and the Nick-o-matics

..L.T.A.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
That can be an issue with any that shift and aren't re-aligned after the fact. But I have taken pains to be sure that this design can't shift.

Bolt positions for the components are much more close- tolerance located than previously, (so that there's less "wiggle room" and washers can't distort when tightened down upon), and as I said, when de- coupling, neither component shifts alignment...

Thanks, Eddie...

Fon Johnson

roro said:
You could use one of your supporters "The Fonz" but that may give too 8) an impression.

LOL I haven't heard that one in years.. 8)

I have only replaced on belt in about 7 years on my machine. I think the coupler problems were pretty much from the "Advanced Era" where someone else was involved.. :?

I really can't wait to see how this baby handles.. I wanna take her for a test drive! I love propane, but I would like a simple h/e unit for employees.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Scott and Ross...

Regarding names...

I also was considering, "Tesla", because 1.) I like the name and 2.) Nicolai Tesla is sort of a hero of mine, whose name has connotations that I think apply to my design approach.

But for the same reason... that carpet cleaners by and large wouldn't "get it", I decided to not use it.

I have had one name in "reserve" for years now, to be a HX version of the SplitSteam... (I know for a fact that I can build one, that gives the kind of heat a SplitSteam does, but does it via HX technology. It would have to have a 4 cyl. motor, though, for a couple of reasons...)

"Nemesis"...

Maybe it's time to use it on this first system...

Then again, maybe, "Big Dawg" would be more, uh, "acceptable"...:eek:)

G

Nemesis is a good name . Especially having heard your comments above regarding the national brands.

Jeff

T

The Magician

Duane looks like your going to run a muffler instead of a silencer?

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Yes, on these. I've built with everything from small Stoddards, to car mufflers (series, parallel and single mufflers), to larger Universals. And for a #36, the car muffler works fine. (i.e., no noise complaints from neighbors when the systems run in a residential setting).

Part of this is because I set them at 3,200 RPM, which decreases the noise level substantially. (Especially with the smaller "CP" systems... with a "continuous pump out", which have a smaller tank... the vacuum is very surprising. One customer was getting 2 hour dry times with a standard 1.5" wand, 16 feet of 1.5" lead hose and no Glide of any kind.)

Part of the "thing" with this particular layout is that there simply isn't enough length available to do one with a Stoddard.

I'm about to build one with a Cowl silencer, just to see how well it works. If it does as well as they say (as well as a Stoddard), then I may start using them, since they're quite a bit more compact than a Stoddard for the same size opening. (i.e., a Cowl with 2.5" ports is about 12 inches long, whereas a Stoddard, Universal, etc., is about 26" long, by comparison).

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Hi, Jeff...

Thanks. My girlfriend is suggesting, "Ambush", since it will have more power than comparable systems (i.e, something like the idea of a "sleeper" or "stealth" in the hot rod world) and will be a quiet system. (On the HX systems, that will be an area of focus as well...

Personally, I've always liked, "Nemesis", and have been intending to use it one day. Maybe that day has come...

Back
Top Bottom