Best Chemicals

Name
Austin Willoughby
Money aside what are the very best chemicals in general that you have found works best? Value wise. Asking about the general dirty carpet not super dirty but not clean.
Presprays
Rinses
Boosters
Protectants
Ect.

SteamwayPro

Supportive Member
Name
George
Prespray for Residential Carpet - Carpet Details

I've only use Odorless Presprays for Residential. I've had some complaints about some of the VLM Presprays I've used but no more. I only use Odorless Presprays now

www.carpetdetails.com

Pure Mineral Based
Odorless
Neutral PH
Powder
$279.00 25 Pounds Free Shipping
Phenomenal Product

I've never used Carpet Details for HWE but it works great for VLM and I'm sure it will work just as good for a HWE Prespray

VLM - Residential
Vacuum
Prespray with Worx Hydroshot and Carpet Details
Scrub with CRB
Extract with TOPS Odyssey and Cotton Bonnets
Groom

HUGE Profits using Carpet Details and VLM

It's not the 1990's anymore. The VLM Products we have to work with today are Phenomenal. They WORK !!!

Reactions: Jack Zipper Zerkie

SteamwayPro

Supportive Member
Name
George
Lol....isn't that a "90s" product or at least type/tech.....procyonish
NOOOOO !!!

Never used Procyon Powder for VLM

I have used Procyon Extreme a few times on lightly soiled Carpet and it did a good job

It's not the 1990's anymore

VLM WORKS !!!

SteamwayPro

Supportive Member
Name
George
Isnt VLM the old Padcapping?
Yes it's Bonnet Cleaning

But with New and Improved Equipment and Detergents

I Steam Cleaned carpets for 25 Years

Switching from HWE to VLM in 2019 is one of the best decisions I have ever made

VLM WORKS !!!

Reactions: AlienAgent

SteamwayPro

Supportive Member
Name
George
Would you mind sharing a few reasons why?
My TM was getting old and I didn't want to spend $30 Thousand Plus for another TM. So I was considering getting out of the Carpet Cleaning business

I had been experimenting with the VLM Method for about 5 Years. Mostly on rental Properties. I had a Orbot SprayBorg and Challenger but didn't really think I could run a Carpet Cleaning Business just using VLM. I really didn't think I could get the results I needed and I had a good reputation that I didn't want to ruin. I thought like most of the guys here on this Board. You had to have a TM to get Carpets Clean and be successful. I was WRONG and they're WRONG

October 2019 I decided to only use VLM. Most of my work is Residential so I was using Challenger and a CRB. It wasn't easy at first making the switch from HWE to VLM. For 25 Years I Steamed Cleaned carpets and now I'm using a Challenger. For the first few months I was just getting ok results but I knew they could be better if I had Steam Cleaned them. No real complaints from customers but I wasn't satisfied with the results. My biggest problem when I started was getting steps clean. But as time went bye I learned and got better and better each month. After about 6 months I was shocked at the results I was getting. I really didn't think it was possible to get carpets that clean with VLM

It's been 4 Years now since I started cleaning with VLM and I'm getting excellent results. The same results that I got with a TM and the encaps and equipment continue to get better and better

Thank You TOPS for the Odyssey Phoenix and Stepson. All Game Changers for me

Yes there are jobs VLM can't handle. Be honest with customers. Rat Nasties and Urine Trashed Shitholes need to be Steam Cleaned but I have been talked into cleaning them a few times

I also don't do Diners or Restaurants with VLM. I Steam Cleaned them for 25 Years but No more

Switching from HWE to VLM was one of the Best decisions I have ever made WHY ???

I didn't have to spend $30 thousand for a TM to stay in the Carpet Cleaning Business

And after 25 Years I was tired of dragging hoses through the mud rain and snow, pushing a wand, and all time used for repairs and TM maintenance. Trying to keep insects hot and cold out of a customers house. If something happens to TM how am I going to get it fixed fast. Worrying about TM freezing in winter. I don't have a garage so that meant heaters in my van with temps below 32 degrees. Worrying about losing electricity at 3am. When temps went below 10 I used anti freeze. That was a Pain in the Ass

Winter is no fun with a TM

Lots of Money Worry Time and Aggravation goes into using a TM

With VLM I have nothing to Worry about. No aggravation. I have very little maintenance or repairs. I have back ups for all my equipment if something happens. I sleep good at night and I'm making HUGE Profits

I will NEVER go back to HWE

NEVER !!!

VLM WORKS !!!

Mikey P

Administrator
My TM was getting old and I didn't want to spend $30 Thousand Plus for another TM. So I was considering getting out of the Carpet Cleaning business

I had been experimenting with the VLM Method for about 5 Years. Mostly on rental Properties. I had a Orbot SprayBorg and Challenger but didn't really think I could run a Carpet Cleaning Business just using VLM. I really didn't think I could get the results I needed and I had a good reputation that I didn't want to ruin. I thought like most of the guys here on this Board. You had to have a TM to get Carpets Clean and be successful. I was WRONG and they're WRONG

October 2019 I decided to only use VLM. Most of my work is Residential so I was using Challenger and a CRB. It wasn't easy at first making the switch from HWE to VLM. For 25 Years I Steamed Cleaned carpets and now I'm using a Challenger. For the first few months I was just getting ok results but I knew they could be better if I had Steam Cleaned them. No real complaints from customers but I wasn't satisfied with the results. My biggest problem when I started was getting steps clean. But as time went bye I learned and got better and better each month. After about 6 months I was shocked at the results I was getting. I really didn't think it was possible to get carpets that clean with VLM

It's been 4 Years now since I started cleaning with VLM and I'm getting excellent results. The same results that I got with a TM and the encaps and equipment continue to get better and better

Thank You TOPS for the Odyssey Phoenix and Stepson. All Game Changers for me

Yes there are jobs VLM can't handle. Be honest with customers. Rat Nasties and Urine Trashed Shitholes need to be Steam Cleaned but I have been talked into cleaning them a few times

I also don't do Diners or Restaurants with VLM. I Steam Cleaned them for 25 Years but No more

Switching from HWE to VLM was one of the Best decisions I have ever made WHY ???

I didn't have to spend $30 thousand for a TM to stay in the Carpet Cleaning Business

And after 25 Years I was tired of dragging hoses through the mud rain and snow, pushing a wand, and all time used for repairs and TM maintenance. Trying to keep insects hot and cold out of a customers house. If something happens to TM how am I going to get it fixed fast. Worrying about TM freezing in winter. I don't have a garage so that meant heaters in my van with temps below 32 degrees. Worrying about losing electricity at 3am. When temps went below 10 I used anti freeze. That was a Pain in the Ass

Winter is no fun with a TM

Lots of Money Worry Time and Aggravation goes into using a TM

With VLM I have nothing to Worry about. No aggravation. I have very little maintenance or repairs. I have back ups for all my equipment if something happens. I sleep good at night and I'm making HUGE Profits

I will NEVER go back to HWE

NEVER !!!

VLM WORKS !!!

What procedures did you learn over those 6 months that really made a difference?

SteamwayPro

Supportive Member
Name
George
What procedures did you learn over those 6 months that really made a difference?
Cleaning Commercial Carpet with VLM is easy but Cleaning Residential Carpet with VLM is much more of a challenge

SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN and let your machine do it's job. Scrub the carpet thoroughly with the CRB before extracting with your OP. VLM is a slower process than HWE

Put down enough Prespray. At first I was too concerned with getting the carpets to dry fast. I wasn't wetting the carpet enough to get them clean. The sprayers I was using SUCKED. I started using the Worx Sprayer and that was a Game Changer for me

Getting steps clean was my biggest problem in the beginning. I started using my 10'' CRB with short arm to scrub or a Right Angle Drill with Brush to scrub and sometimes both on trashed steps. After I scrubbed I extracted with TOPS Stepson. The steps problem was solved

But the biggest Game Changer was buying a TOPS Odyssey. Challenger did a good job but Odyssey is easier to use, more aggressive, cleans better, faster, and looks Professional. I do a lot of small homes with small rooms. Odyssey is easy to use and maneuver in tight areas

Thank You TOPS for Odyssey and Stepson

Thank You Worx for the BEST Sprayer for VLM

d3zerhdq8ufabftywvvuwtre4gd1.jpgimage000000 (12).jpg

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Cleaning Commercial Carpet with VLM is easy but Cleaning Residential Carpet with VLM is much more of a challenge

SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN and let your machine do it's job. Scrub the carpet thoroughly with the CRB before extracting with your OP. VLM is a slower process than HWE

Put down enough Prespray. At first I was too concerned with getting the carpets to dry fast. I wasn't wetting the carpet enough to get them clean. The sprayers I was using SUCKED. I started using the Worx Sprayer and that was a Game Changer for me

Getting steps clean was my biggest problem in the beginning. I started using my 10'' CRB with short arm to scrub or a Right Angle Drill with Brush to scrub and sometimes both on trashed steps. After I scrubbed I extracted with TOPS Stepson. The steps problem was solved

But the biggest Game Changer was buying a TOPS Odyssey. Challenger did a good job but Odyssey is easier to use, more aggressive, cleans better, faster, and looks Professional. I do a lot of small homes with small rooms. Odyssey is easy to use and maneuver in tight areas

View attachment 124974View attachment 124977

Im glad that I feel that I could have answered in the same way..

sassyotto

Name
Paul
Protectants
your going to get all different answers to all the other products but heres what we did on the Protector side.

we took a large white piece of used carpet, one where the factory protector was long worn off. then we cleaned it.

Then taped six or seven sections off and applied different protectors according to the directions to each section and no protector on one section.

Then we spilled a liquid on each section to test repellency

Then we spilled things like mustard, etc equally on each section

Then we put the carpet in the shop for three weeks as a walkoff mat

Then we cleaned it equally

The results were very surprising. But then we knew exactly which product worked best.

Name
Austin Willoughby

your going to get all different answers to all the other products but heres what we did on the Protector side.

we took a large white piece of used carpet, one where the factory protector was long worn off. then we cleaned it.

Then taped six or seven sections off and applied different protectors according to the directions to each section and no protector on one section.

Then we spilled a liquid on each section to test repellency

Then we spilled things like mustard, etc equally on each section

Then we put the carpet in the shop for three weeks as a walkoff mat

Then we cleaned it equally

The results were very surprising. But then we knew exactly which product worked best.
And the results?

Name
Evets
Pet urine jobs are a big part of our business and can easily double the invoice. Even if we went VLM, we would still need a way to extract pee jobs.
People w/money don't care what it cost to clean their little darling's pee mess up.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
jack zerkie
Had the worst job in 40years 4 ft circles all over trashed but I like challanges I used Carpet Designs in my hydra force 8 scoops and hit them hard nothing else needed to smell from the urine . Carpets cleaned uo great. I sent photos to Mikey before and after I don't know how to do that . If anyone wants photos I can send them to your phone. Just another day in carpet cleaning. jz

Reactions: Austin Willoughby
Name
Austin Willoughby
Not
Had the worst job in 40years 4 ft circles all over trashed but I like challanges I used Carpet Designs in my hydra force 8 scoops and hit them hard nothing else needed to smell from the urine . Carpets cleaned uo great. I sent photos to Mikey before and after I don't know how to do that . If anyone wants photos I can send them to your phone. Just another day in carpet cleaning. jz
Nothing like a rat nasty to get ya going!

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm sure you mean carpet details, not designs.

Condog

Name
Tony

View attachment 124974View attachment 124977
Hi George,

I started VLM with a Trinity Phoenix, bought two of them, one for tile & grout and the other for carpet.

Worked with Anthony Hernandez in New York for a few weeks, and was blown away by his 2 speed rotary on carpet and tile & grout.

Bought a used Challenger with 80 newish pads for $700 from Ed Kalina over a year ago.

Liked the Challenger for residential as it doesn't tear up pads like the Phoenix.

I find I use the 2 speed rotary on everything but tile & grout (Phoenix with weight wins there). I like the white bonnet with green strips (direct mops real astroturf) on commercial.

I just used Procyon Extreme and it did a great job.
I've also used Simix, Green Dragon, Carpet Details, and my favorite Cobb's StainResist which is for VLM.
Out of curiosity do you have a favorite, and why?

It's funny when I tried to read reviews of Procyon on Damon's site and Trinity's site comments were turned off so you can't read the comments.
Makes you think the Procyon won the debate, lol.

Condog

Name
Tony
There are a lot of good cleaning products.

I like Saiger's products, Encapstore, Bonnet Pro, Simix, Cobb's Powermax and StainResist.

I prefer VLM over my Rotovac porty, and Ninja, just prefer to avoid the hoses whenever possible.

Like the Kaivac Omniflex to rinse & extract over setting up porty's on hard surfaces.

Like Ninja to extract tile jobs when I want a hose-wand extraction.

I'm like George, Steamway Pro, I'm older (61) and don't want to spend $ on a truckmount at this stage of my life, or run a lot of hoses.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Hi George,

I started VLM with a Trinity Phoenix, bought two of them, one for tile & grout and the other for carpet.

Worked with Anthony Hernandez in New York for a few weeks, and was blown away by his 2 speed rotary on carpet and tile & grout.

Bought a used Challenger with 80 newish pads for $700 from Ed Kalina over a year ago.

Liked the Challenger for residential as it doesn't tear up pads like the Phoenix.

I find I use the 2 speed rotary on everything but tile & grout (Phoenix with weight wins there). I like the white bonnet with green strips (direct mops real astroturf) on commercial.

I've also used Simix, Green Dragon, Carpet Details, and my favorite Cobb's StainResist which is for VLM.

It's funny when I tried to read reviews of Procyon on Damon's site and Trinity's site comments were turned off so you can't read the comments.
They promote their own chemistry. Although Procyon can be used as an encap, it does dry to a powder, it lacks the crystallizing polymers that most true encap products have.

Condog

Name
Tony
I like the versatility of StainResist and it's price.
35# pail for $108 and $45 shipping, $153 + tax.

$20 cheaper than the next affordable Encapstore Green Dragon and Dragon Phire, which are out of stock.

Stainresist Powder neutral pH
  • This powder has a pH of 9.5 and meets specs of the major fiber producers.
  • It has no hazardous ingredients and a wonderful citrus-blend fragrance.
  • Non-buffered builders make it suitable for Wool Rugs & Natural Fibers.
  • Oxidizer Included for Stain Removal
  • Suitable for VLM Cleaning
  • High Water Softening Capability
  • 35 LB Container {Box if shipped by UPS, or 6 Gal. Pail if shipped by Frt.}

They all work great, there isn't one I haven't liked of those listed.

Reactions: kmdineen

SteamwayPro

Supportive Member
Name
George
Hi George,

I have a Phoenix but only use it for Commercial. I only use Microfiber Bonnets for Commercial. I scrub with a Fiber Pad first. If needed

My favorite Encap for Commercial is Excellent Supply Releasit DS2

I have a 13'' 175-300 Hawk. It does a good job but I prefer OP's. It must be carried up and down stairs and rotaries fling crap all over baseboards furniture tile

I never liked Green Stripe Bonnets. I guess they would be ok to scrub with first but a soft brush does a much better job at scrubbing

I only use no odor Presprays for nice Residential. I use a Worx Hydroshot to Prespray. Prespray gets into the air and I have had some complaints. If your using Phoenix the jets are only a few inches from the carpet so that's not a problem

I used Procyon Extreme a few times. It did a good job and has no odor

My favorite Residential Presprays are Carpet Details and Bonnet Pro NanoMAXX. Both have no odor

I use NanoMAXX at 2-3 oz and add some Peroxide. If needed

Carpet Details 4-6 oz

Unoccupied Homes and Rentals I don't worry about odor. So I use whatever Prespray I want

If I'm in a occupied Home with trashed carpet I warn the customer about some odor from Prespray and use what I need to get Carpet clean

I've tried most of the VLM Presprays out there except for Saigers and Encapstore products

Never heard of StainResist

I use a CRB and Trinity Odyssey for most of my Residential

I also have a Orbot Vibe TL for large Residential

Residential I scrub with a CRB first before extracting with a OP and Cotton or Microfiber Bonnets

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom