Black granite ?

Luis Gomez

Name
Luis Gomez
I have a customer that has black granite counter tops. She said that they are dull and the only way to make them pop is by using Granite gold's polish. Rob, I know that I need to take your class but I don't have time, I have the makita 922 and 7" pads up to 1800 grit. What do I do?
Thank you,

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
I have a customer that has black granite counter tops. She said that they are dull and the only way to make them pop is by using Granite gold's polish. Rob, I know that I need to take your class but I don't have time, I have the makita 922 and 7" pads up to 1800 grit. What do I do?
Thank you,

Forget the diamond pads. Using 7" pads will get you into trouble. Use stone scrub them MB20 wet to dry.

Here is a how to use video: http://youtu.be/LYrDTIGjZ_s?t=14m48s

Reactions: Art Kelley

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
Luis, listen to Ted. Don't touch that granite with the pads. First, those are marble pads and will not polish granite. Secondly that black granite is dulling for completely different reasons then a marble would. Many times black granites are not black when quarried. Dyes are added to give them a rich, dark black look. You are probably facing a situation where the die has faded or been bleached out. The is no permanent solution for this. Stone Scrub and MB-20 will help but won't solve the problem. A product called ICE will help as well. Call me if you need or want more information.

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
Luis, listen to Ted. Don't touch that granite with the pads. First, those are marble pads and will not polish granite. Secondly that black granite is dulling for completely different reasons then a marble would. Many times black granites are not black when quarried. Dyes are added to give them a rich, dark black look. You are probably facing a situation where the die has faded or been bleached out. The is no permanent solution for this. Stone Scrub and MB-20 will help but won't solve the problem. A product called ICE will help as well. Call me if you need or want more information.

I doubt ICE is the answer here but it is not a bad thing to have when you are in a pinch. Black granite is actually a very soft stone and it tends to dull over time from abrasion. Even the mildest abrasive cleaner will dull it if used over a period of time. Polishing the surface can be done pretty easily with mild abrasives like MB20 or potea. Rob's PolishPro is pretty good in this regard to provide a pop but in a situation like this I have found MB20 is my go to product.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
We see a lot of the dyed blacks here, one whole higher end complex has it in every unit.
Solvents sealers and cleaners lighten the dye considerably.

Name
cameron demille
If it's dull it has nothing to do with the dye. The dye can fade or come out leaving the Polish perfectly in tact. You need to determine whether or not it's actually dull or if there is a color issue. If it's dull enough to stand out like that I doubt stone scrub or mb20 alone will fix it. However my bet is on the granite gold polish. That stuff is dogshit.it builds up a film over time. My first step would be stone scrub. If it works, replace her GO with stone pro finishing touch

If it needs diamonds, get some training first

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom