BOXXER 427 STARTABILITY ISSUES..

breathe72

Started machine this morning, let idle for about 10 min while setting up, then machine just died.

???

Went to restart it and it would only crank, no start.

Checked dump tank, clean.

gas tank is full.

waste tank valve not open.

THEN.... after about ten min of letting her sit, she started right back up. Ran for approx 90 seconds then DIED.

Now will only crank, no start.

breathe72

Ok if I let it set for awhile, it will start.

Runs for about 2 min.

then DIES.

Im posting this from the custys laptop.

Time to roll up and leave?

Greenie

Sounds like as soon as you burn what is in the carb she quits....fuel pressure problem.

Probbaly an easy fix, but I think you are hosed unless you have a spare $30 fuel pump in the van (which you should in your survival kit).

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Are you sure its not an ignition problem. Check for spark at the plug while cranking if there is spark you know its fuel related.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
I would check all of your safety shutoff switches if it's not fuel related. It could be your overheat shutoff not reading right and saying it's overheating and shuting it down.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I had a similar problem with the 421. In my case it was severe back pressure when the wast tank got too full. It had blowback and clogged the air filter. Didn't think such a thing could happen, but it did.

Jerry

Supportive Member
I had my high water level shut off go bad on me one time, did the same thing. Disconnected and it fired right up. Also my fuel pump went out, similar situation. I now run a clear fuel filter so I can see the fuel sitting in it.

Greenie

Jerry, on a boxxer or another machine?

You mean to tell me they are still using NON-clear filters...? lol why..just one more thing to wonder about?
As a diagnostics tool, i think I would like a fuel pressure gauge on the panel...doesn't cost much.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I had a similar shutdown issue and couldn't figure it out. The manufacturer was leaning toward a fuel issue but it turned out to be a faulty coil.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
too late now i know, but take a gas can and pour a little directly in carb then start. pour a little more in while its still running, if it keeps going you know filter or pump.

if it still dies check spark if no spark then start disconnecting sensors or take to a small engine repair guy maybe quicker

breathe72

One symptom I should've included in this post, but didn't, was that this weekend my temp gauge began pegging out at its highest reading...

I did not include it because I wouldn't have guessed this had anything to do with the engine not running.

Chris had it right: The machine was being tricked into thinking it was overheating.

Disconnected temp gauge and she runs fine.

Will have to replace the part.

Stay tuned for the next fiasco, & thanks everyone who answered.

Becker

Name
Becker
Hope ya get it fixed.

You were on the right track from the start, but I wonder.. Why was checking the oil level not part of the trouble shooting.

That would have been my guess, seems about right.

It restarts because the oil settles back into the "pan"

Hope ya did not disconnect the kill switch to keep it running, an risk damage with low oil.

you guys know on the Boxxer machines there is a wire(white i believe) on the engine that you can disconnect and it disconnects all of the sensors...if you take the wire off and it runs good then you know it has to be one of your sensors...

T

The Magician

If its overheating and shuts off you need to pull out the brass plugs in front of the machine and clean out the filter and orriffices. They are clogged, don't mix up the them up they are different sizes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom