Brass flair fitting failure

Mikey P

Administrator
We had this off when we fixed the Cat last weekend so were fairly surprised to have it pop a leak today. it's connected to a male flair nipple on the GP Chemical pump right off the Cat.. The other end two feet away threads to the GPH meter shut off valve. That end looks like new.

Pulsation from the pump cause all them cracks?

20150321_185542_zpsyblvi8ig.jpg

Name
Lee Stockwell
If you have a toolbox of plumbing fittings it's easy to have a hairline crack or stressed fitting get "recycled" back into the box instead of being discarded, especially if it's "pretty".

Are you sure it was a NEW fitting? (speaking from my mistakes)

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
the only time I have seen that happen is if they get over tightened....to much torque spreads the brass.......

Reactions: dealtimeman

Mikey P

Administrator
If you have a toolbox of plumbing fittings it's easy to have a hairline crack or stressed fitting get "recycled" back into the box instead of being discarded, especially if it's "pretty".

Are you sure it was a NEW fitting? (speaking from my mistakes)

Yes, it's the original hose and fitting on the AT.

Possible , quite possible, my ham fisted employees are the culprit.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Having basic repair skills can be very important to business survival.

In the overall scheme of things repair costs usually aren't so bad, either guaranteed or out of pocket.

Even losing cash flow may not bother you.

However, postponing work and perhaps losing my customers' future business IS a BIG DEAL.

Do that to one or two key customers once too often and years or goodwill can go down the drain.

Thus I would repair the d@^n bearing and get back to work. Period.

Reactions: Mikey P

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Just did the same thing myself on Friday replacing all pressure hoses one of the trucks, it happens to all of us at one point or another from not paying attention and over tightening.

Reactions: Ray Burnfield

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I am sad everytime I have to replace a piece of brass now days, as when you compare the older piece to the newer piece, most of the meat or brass is just not there.

Reactions: Mark Saiger
Name
Lee Stockwell
Stainless isn't always better than brass, especially for fittings that don't leak.

Just learn the difference. As noted above not all brass is equal. Neither is all stainless steel.

Reactions: Mikey P

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
we have not had any repeatable failure of flare fittings but we DO NOT REUSE A BRASS FLARE FITTING ONCE IT HAS BEEN BEEN REMOVED FROM THE TRUCK TO SERVICE ANYTHING.

we just use a new brass flare fitting and actually try to use same for all brass fittings when possible, as 10-25 dollars in new brass will save many headaches down the road. pay a little now or pay a lot latter, we pay a little now.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Stainless isn't always better than brass, especially for fittings that don't leak.

Just learn the difference. As noted above not all brass is equal. Neither is all stainless steel.
I can only speak to the stainless that came with my current truckmount. Most have been off and reused with no problems. You have to be careful with stainless to stainless as that's the one I cracked.

Gene

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom