"But they were Professional.."

Mikey P

Administrator
I did a bit more than half of my Community Center tonight.

They asked for my opinion on their laminate flooring..

Management thought the satin floor would look better shiny and the Professional janitorial co didn't know any better. The first finish they applied wouldn't harden so they stripped it off and got a Betco gym floor product to stick.

It's wearing like hell and they now want to strip it again and try something else.

The else I recommend is LVP...

Check out this mess...

IMG_20170528_181129.jpg
IMG_20170528_190022.jpg
IMG_20170528_190036.jpg
IMG_20170528_190055.jpg

Probably 8000 feet..

Less than three years old. Ruined by an idiot.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
How do you remove that much gloss finish without using floor stripper, causing the lips to curl up? Is the floor ruined?

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
I would be hesitant to get involved in someone else's problem, it could become yours. That floor is already starting to delaminate.

Reactions: Jimmy L

steve_64

The idiot is the one who bought that flooring with the wrong finish.

Lvt won't shine like they want neither. Tile it.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I installed a whole house of laminant (glue together) back in the 90's. The lady called me awhile ago asking if I'd remove it and reinstall it in their lake house.

steve_64

Shine is for hospitals.
And schools.

Genny likes the shiny wood floors. I like the satin finish.

All of these laminate products are crap imo. I like our lvt but I couldn't see it in high traffic areas.

I can't blame the person who coated that floor to much. They did what was asked of them but I agree it should not have been done. They may have begged him to do it I don't know. Sometimes it's hard to walk away from a bad request due to someone's persistence and wanting to help. People can be cheap and not want to pay for a real solution.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Is putting some kind of "Restore" mop on product filling in some of the scratches and then buffing up a gloss an option?

Looks like a mess to deal with by stripping and recoating. Put a band aid on it to appease them.

Or pass on it.

J. Brightwell

Name
David Moynihan
Find a good wood flooring contractor and get a price for screening the floor. Screening won't remove all the finish but should remove enough to give you a better base to work with going forward and you should be able to change to a satin finish.

Josh

Supportive Member
Name
Josh
Same story at one of the gyms in Gville. I told them their last guy ruined their floor and I'm not touching it.

Onfire_02_01

Name
Jeremy Gray
Once the owners get an idea in their head they will find someone to do it for them. I have waxed both lvt and quarry tile and grout for people because no matter what, the floor had to be shiny for the vip's that were coming in. It didn't matter if it was right or not. The floor had to be shiny.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It took me two years to get the carpet, I have no intention of being That Guy who ruined the "hardwood floors" at the highest profile building in the valley....
What would a maroon pad do to the Laminate floor? I've only used maroon on regular hardwood and I heard you could do the maroon only one time on laminate floor.

Back
Top Bottom