can I get your help with this, please?

gimmeagig

Name
Roxy
Hi,
I'm a relatively new carpet cleaner and not a flood remediation expert. I'm hoping you guys who do this for a living can give me some advice.
I have a rental,single family home,relatively new construction, about 10 years old. Top level is finished, and has tenants living in it. The basement is still unfinished.All concrete walls and floor, basically like a big swimming pool.It is sunken half way into the ground with windows that have egress dugouts to the outside, for legal conforming bedrooms at some point in the future.
On the outside is a garden hose spigot which is a little below ceiling height of the basement. This spigot must have broken on the inside of the wall and when you turn it nothing comes out of the actual faucet, but inside the wall the water floods into the basement.That spigot had been on for about an hour before my tenant noticed the problem and by that time there was 2 inches of water through out the whole basement.
I got all the water out and tomorrow I'll have a plumber over to replace the faucet.There is fiberglass insulation on all the outside walls, that is covered with sheets of plastic and somehow tacked on. looks like a giant sofa. The insulation on the wall where the faucet is is completely soaked and that probably needs to come off for access to do the repair. But in the rest of the basement the water wicked into the insulation about 1 foot high on all the outside walls.
My question is. How can I dry this out? The insulation is behind plastic. So my blowers wouldn't do anything. Should I rip everything out or is there a way to use dehumidifiers and blowers to dry that basement up? I am hoping I won't have to pull all of that stuff out and replace it, but I'm also concerned about mold. Could that form on concrete and insulation? Nobody uses it except for a laundry room that's down there so there's no need to get this done quickly. But I do want to address it right away of course.
What would you guys suggest to do?
Thanks

Name
Tom Ingram
If it's just insulation held in behind plastic. Rip it out, go to Lowes and buy what you need to replace it. Set up your blowers for a couple of days before you replace the insulation...

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with Tom, that's the most cost effective route.

The fiberglass insulation would dry, and mold needs an organic source to feed on. It won't eat the glass but maybe the craft paper, although it might take some time. However the cost of drying while maybe only a day or two would likely be more than cost of replacement.

Back
Top Bottom