CGD Tiles Coming Loose

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I have an opportunity to clean the carpets in a facility that has CGD tiles that are coming loose and slightly lifting on some corners. I spoke with the manager and she said the carpet was installed less than 5 years ago which makes me think it has faulty glue. Is there any safe way to clean carpets in an environment like that without causing more separation of the tiles from the floor? I imagine that an orbital pad machine might be as risky as hot water extraction, maybe more so via physical agitation.

Wondering if carefully doing hot or warm water extraction making sure not to penetrate to the backing with moisture and being careful with my wanding technique to not physically lift the parts of the tile that are loose while extracting is a fairly safe bet or if cleaning CGD tiles in that situation is best avoided entirely. Any tips are appreciated!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Keep in mind CGD tile has a rubber backing. So whatever you spray on top of the carpet will never get in the glue. Maybe a little will seep down in the edges, but the majority will stay in place

I've cleaned tile in that exact same situation. Just clean it. If a few tiles pop up, it's not your fault. It's already damaged. you're just improving the cleanliness of the floor. Just make certain that a few tiles might come up and you'll put it back in place, but it's not your fault.

Brian H

Name
Brian H
I have an opportunity to clean the carpets in a facility that has CGD tiles that are coming loose and slightly lifting on some corners. I spoke with the manager and she said the carpet was installed less than 5 years ago which makes me think it has faulty glue. Is there any safe way to clean carpets in an environment like that without causing more separation of the tiles from the floor? I imagine that an orbital pad machine might be as risky as hot water extraction, maybe more so via physical agitation.

Wondering if carefully doing hot or warm water extraction making sure not to penetrate to the backing with moisture and being careful with my wanding technique to not physically lift the parts of the tile that are loose while extracting is a fairly safe bet or if cleaning CGD tiles in that situation is best avoided entirely. Any tips are appreciated!
Before you touch it, make sure to get them to sign off that there is an existing problem and that cleaning could make it appear worse. Bryce's Carpet Cleaning will not be responsible for any lifting of tiles during or after cleaning.

You don't want to pay to correct something that wasn't your fault.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
Some of the CGD tile because of how it was manufactured curls on the corners as it ages because of differential shrinkage. The glue used for CGD tile is designed to keep the tile from sliding back and forth, not from lifting. Some installation are done with full spread glue others you use glue dots. You won't hurt it but you will definitely not make it any better either.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Bless you guys, thanks for the tips.

Any pointers on making a waiver of liability form? I am thinking of making a nice printable document that has our business info as a header, a generic description of being waived of liability for... then leaving a blank field for me to hand write whatever it is that might come up on the job on a given day. Then having 2 printed lines for my signature and theirs with room for dates next to it at the bottom.

Maybe on bigger commercial jobs like this I should just type the whole thing out to look professional. But seems like it would also be helpful to have a more generic one printed out I can keep in my work truck in case other unexpected things come up on site down the road.

Luky

Name
Mario
Instead of coming up with waivers and all the precautions, why not fix the carpet first( glue the tiles or corner of the tiles) and make more money. There are widely available varieties of carpet glue, so why not use it?

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Instead of coming up with waivers and all the precautions, why not fix the carpet first( glue the tiles or corner of the tiles) and make more money. There are widely available varieties of carpet glue, so why not use it?
Great idea Luky. My plate is full and I haven't thought about offering much beyond my current services. But that is pretty stupid simple isn't it. Thank you :)

Name
Nate W.
Carpet tiles use a pressure sensitive glue.. In it's original idea, it was made to be able to switch out the dirty/damaged tiles with new ones.. It actually pulls up easy if installed correctly..

I do agree that you should notate down everything prior to cleaning or you'll be on the hook to fix it.. CYA

Back
Top Bottom