Chemical Shelves

Chads

Supportive Member
I'm looking to make some for my truck just trying to get ideas who here has built their own and has pictures of their set up.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I normally just go the hard ware store and build my own out of 1x8 and 1x6 pieces of wood, yeah its prolly not as good looking as it could be however I like it better than the stuff sold by suppliers with aluminum you get black stuff on the bottom of your jugs, with metal you get rust on the bottom, because at some point something will corrode whatever metal your shelves are made out of, wood does not do this and has none of the problems, I also normally drill paddle bit holes so that I can take all the jugs out and take a water hose to my shelves every now and then and rinse them out

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
Look at Bluelines Stainless Chem shelf. That is my shelf of choice for my customers because of the quality and that it's stainless. It is going to cost you a little more than other shelves but it will last you the lifetime of your van.

http://www.bluelineequip.com/van.asp

Hopefully you have a local supplier that carries Blueline that has one in stock.

If not let me know.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
steve g said:
I normally just go the hard ware store and build my own out of 1x8 and 1x6 pieces of wood, yeah its prolly not as good looking as it could be however I like it better than the stuff sold by suppliers with aluminum you get black stuff on the bottom of your jugs, with metal you get rust on the bottom, because at some point something will corrode whatever metal your shelves are made out of, wood does not do this and has none of the problems, I also normally drill paddle bit holes so that I can take all the jugs out and take a water hose to my shelves every now and then and rinse them out

I did the same thing and I painted them gray. They dont look bad at all, and the jugs stay clean.

MerCrewser

The worst is when they rust, rust gets on the bottom of the containers, and you dont want to set them down anywhere. I have a prochem metal shelf, and I have had to put cardboard under the containers. Next shelf will be stainless, I dont care what the cost.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
We like the stainless shelves also. They take up less room than wood types.

Here is a photo of the stainless one installed on the right side of a GM van:

08rear534.jpg

Larry

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Built my own, along both bulkheads, from parts from Lowe's. Similar to Whisker's, but not as neat. Galvanized, perforated angle iron and 1X6 pine. Didn't paint them.

If you build you own they can be tailored to your equipment and the exact dimensions of your truck.

Chads

Supportive Member
whiskers looks nice , i like the stainless ones but why in hell do they need to cost that much its like a gallon of gas just no justification in being that pricey.

Greenie

MerCrewser said:
The worst is when they rust, rust gets on the bottom of the containers, and you dont want to set them down anywhere. I have a prochem metal shelf, and I have had to put cardboard under the containers. Next shelf will be stainless, I dont care what the cost.

Why in the hell would someone build a chem shelf out of steel, Anodized alum. or stainless is all that belongs in a TM.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
well done Wiskers.
some of the "home made" shelving i've seen looks pretty poor.

Your's looks clean and professional.

..l.T.A.

Chads

Supportive Member
does any one know the thickness of the metal shelves. i have some sheet metal that i might just go and find a sheet metal break and shear and just make my own i need dimensions too if any one could get them for me that would be great but i need to know how thick they are i might have to thin of sheets they are galvanizied so i will have to paint them up real good then line them.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
If you build you own they can be tailored to your equipment and the exact dimensions of your truck.

That's why I built mine. 2x2's and 1x's for the boards. Painted gray. Use screws instead of nails in case you want to reconfigure them at another time. I'll admit mine look like crap after 4 years though. Most of the chems are in a dyi shelf on the back door, I hate getting inside when working.

Albert

DRScrivner

Air King Rack on Driver's Side- Wire Shelves from Home Depot
AirKingRack.jpg

Chemical Shelves- Wal-Mart, Particle Boards Coated HEAVILY with Herculiner from Pep Boys
Chemicals1.jpg

Inside Driver's Side Door- Wire Shelves From Home Depot
DriverDoorInside3.jpg

Front Rack- Wire Shelves From Home Depot
FrontRack1.jpg

Inside Trailer From Back Door
InsideTrailer3.jpg

Front of Trailer- Olympus M200H Portable, Checmicals Shelves on Driver's Side
Portable1.jpg

Greenie

Del, you run that Olympus on the GenSet from the trailer?

I don't see any 2" hose?

I do see an AMF wand and Rotovac. :)

DRScrivner

I am running 1 1/2 hose. With the Rotovac being 1 1/2 would I get any benefit out of going 2 inch?

I run from the generator only as a last resort. Some properties with no power, I got a good deal on the generator so I figured I can work just about anywhere I needed that way.

DRScrivner

Oh yeah, and no I don't run it from that trailer off the gen. I run the cords into the house.

Never tried more then 25 feet of 1 1/2 hose, just don't think it has the guts for it.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
DRScrivner said:
Oh yeah, and no I don't run it from that trailer off the gen. I run the cords into the house.

Never tried more then 25 feet of 1 1/2 hose, just don't think it has the guts for it.

Is that a power pro generator from pep boys? i have the 3500 watt version and it is more reliable and easier to start than my honda powered 5000 watter

Chads

Supportive Member
Man I love see everybodys different setups it always seems like you see something done that is better than your I think everybody should post a pic of there set up. And dangit Les I now need one of those second hose reels for my hose reel set up all I have is the single solution hose reel. Is any body doing anything with the area between the two front seats? I love to be organized I just cant seem to get there yet and need some help in the front of my truck too.

Greenie

DRScrivner said:

Swap out the 1.5" waste tank barb with a 2" and threaded 2" PVC elbow and report back, it's not too hard, just need a 2 3/8" hole saw and a steady hand, maybe $15 in parts, Then pick up 50' of 2" hose, it may very well be money in the bank for you in time savings of leaving the machine on the front porch for filling and dumping and keeping noice outside as well as humidity.

DRScrivner

Is that a power pro generator from pep boys? i have the 3500 watt version and it is more reliable and easier to start than my honda powered 5000 watter
Yes it is Anthony. It does not get many hours on it, but it starts and runs like a champ when needed. And for the power output it was a SMOKING deal compared to other brands.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Re: Chemical Shelves HEY DEL

you doubled up those shelves didnt you???

cuz i have looked from here to hell and back and cant find them with the lip UP....I looked at yours closer, and you have 2 sets, 1 regular, and the other flipped upside down huh???

DAMN why couldnt you tell me this earlier????? wasted oodles of time looking for this :x :x :x

DRScrivner

Re: Chemical Shelves HEY DEL

floorguy said:
you doubled up those shelves didnt you???

cuz i have looked from here to hell and back and cant find them with the lip UP....I looked at yours closer, and you have 2 sets, 1 regular, and the other flipped upside down huh???

DAMN why couldnt you tell me this earlier????? wasted oodles of time looking for this :x :x :x
Are you referring to mine Doug?

If so yes they are the same brand but two different depths - AND - one was originally a four shelf unit and the other a five shelf unit, but I used some of the supports as the fronts to keep jugs on the shelf, so each is only 3 shelves high.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom