Chevy Express

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I really like my GM vans. My current main van is an 04 Express 3500 6 litre. It has 113,000 miles on it and have had only a couple repairs. At 65,000 miles the flex plate was badly cracked and was replaced by local dealer. Now with it sounds like its cracked again. I guess its not uncommon but am surprised it happened again as I am a very gentle driver. Anyone else have these issues?

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Matt Ross
That is a common problem with easy aftermarket fixes. That engine is put into rock crawlers, hot rods, buggy's, etc with strengthened tranny's and flywheels. I guarantee you someone sells an upgraded flexplate that won't brake on you. Any decent tranny shop should be able to fix it right.

Name
Matt Ross
If your second flexplate failed really quickly after the first, then I would look more carefully for crankshaft bending or torque converter trueness. As it has been awhile, I would just have a good tranny shop change it. They should be able to tell you the cause if it was improperly torqued bolts or installation.

Name
Lee Stockwell
GM has some crankshaft problems with out of concentric threaded holes that put the flexplate in a bind.

My son Jason has one in a Venture van. The factory bulletin said the fix was a new motor.

Name
jack zerkie
My 04 2500 had 4 flex plates replaced and then a rebuilt tranny. My problem was a ticking noise at idle then a damaged flex plate. The Chevy dealer never found the cause. A private tranny shop found that my problem was the Bendix on the starter was faulty causing damage to the flex plate. New starter and now seems to have fixed the problem. And this started as a new van in 04. jz.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom