chuck dewalds american drying institute?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
has anyone attended this school?

if so what did you like/dislike?

i am thinking about attending jondon sponsord class as they will have the rx heat trailer present to do comparitve drying, one side of house using conventional dehus setup and th other side using the heater setup. really interested in using heat to dry as not many use it in my market.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
POSITIVE: It was a great class, Chuck taught it, at the time it was the first of it's kind.

NEGATIVE: Having it at the Morristown location wasn't the best, but again it was the first class.

Morristown is small, and Chuck's house is out in the sticks. Some of us went out in the evening, and it was a drive just to find anything. Did I mention it's out in the sticks?

I hear nothing but raves about Chuck III, I'll eventually send a couple of guys to attend one of his classes, but I think I'll send them to the one's the put on the road.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
I went to Chuck's class a few years ago, both Chuck jr and Chuck III were instructors. It was a great class and I learned a lot.
Chavez is right about Morristown, it's a little different than I am used to. I walked over to a Charlie's restaurant from the hotel and bellied up to the bar. I ordered a martini to relax after listening to and being challenged by the Dewald's all day, only to find out you can't get booze in the restaurant only beer or wine. Then the guy sitting next to me lit up a cigarette right at the bar, it was like the twilight zone.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Michael,

How often do you dry with heat ? I'd be curious to others responses as well. Especially that Kevin dude from CT. I wish I would have got a chance to meet him while I was in CT.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We don't do anything all the time.

In fact nothing will get you in more trouble in our company than to say "this is how we always do it."
We expect them to think and make decisions based on the situation.

The severity of the job determines the type of drying we setup. Conventional most the time, however ifthe situation is more severe we will probably use heat to some degree or set up the TES trailer.

Wood floors, plaster, crawl spaces will all start with heat first.

Name
Al
Amen Richard.
If you are looking for a silver bullet it has not been made, if it had I would own it. Heat, any dehumidifier, any type of blower is just another "Tool in the Tool Box". At ADI you will get a taste of everything and learn how to try the fastest without doing any more harm to the building. Go to it.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
sorry guys as i look back at my post i worded it wrong.

what i meant to ask is, on certain jobs do you use heat without dehus?

do you have a discharge point based on cfm and vent from there using a precise temperature being controlled by a remote thermastat?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Michael,

There have been situations where I have been able to use the cooler dry air from outside. I was stuck in a bind and all of our dehus were out. I had to vent in the cool dry air, and apply heat directly to the materials, and then used three exhaust points(windows) to dehumidify the area. It would have been easier to use a desiccant!!! :lol:

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Mikey I am not sure at this point as I was invited by Jondon to adi and they will be doing a side by side comparison of heat drying vs conventional drying including pros/cons to both procces.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes there are times when there are only small amounts of moisture we are dealing with like bound water in hardwood that we may not use a dehumidifier. Depending on how dry the air is.

kmdineen

Name
Kevin Dineen
Ditto Steven
I do not own a real stand alone heat drying system. If I did enough WD to justify the cost of a heat only system I would go to the Reets Drying Academy then purchase one. I use conventional drying (I use Phoenix HT's and Phoenix focus air movers mostly) and use ( I have two) 240 volt E TES when I can justify them (I get $220 per day for the E TES and $30 per day for the air mover), either to increase the ambient air temperature (in cool basements for instance) or to directly heat slow to dry material.
I have used the E TES with the exhaust controller to dry parts of jobs such as in a crawl space, to dry the bottom of a floor with a dehu and injectidry on top or on smaller jobs such as carpet, pad and some sheet rock as a mini heat drying system.
I have also used the E TES on class 1 drying jobs when people will only pay $250 to $500 to dry small areas. I may or may not extract water, I cover the affected area, floor and partial wall with plastic and everything is usually dry with in 24 hours. As Richard said there are conditions when a dehu or exhaust controller is not necessary keeping the cost low for the customer and I can still make a profit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom