Cimex in Res

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
There's been a bit of talk about the Cimex lately and how guys are cleaning the commercial carpets with them and getting great results.
Just curious, what's been the experience on residential cut pile?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I don't do it on resi. But, encap with a brush pro type machine has been a growing way in my area and across the nation

They use catch phrase words like, Fresh, Clean, Green , Enviromentaly Safe and Fast Dry.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Its bad enough these janitors are using this method in daycares, doctors offices, dental offices and creating dirty socks in hotels. Scrubbin in boogers, urine, fecal matter etc. Its sick and wrong. These kind of situations should have the operator placed in jail.

Golden Boy

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Scrubbin in boogers, urine, fecal matter etc. Its sick and wrong.
Dude we's just clean'n them, we didn't put them there!

The swirl marks can be difficult to remove on some pile carpets if you allow it to dry without grooming. We only use encap in the commercial setting, not residential.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron Werner said:
Just curious, what's been the experience on residential cut pile?

not resi, but cut pile in some empties.

"stiff and crunchy" is how I'd best describe it if using today's common encRapoos

regardless, wouldn't sCampooing res be a DEvelution to 30-40 years ago?

yea, yea, i know, we gots new pixie dust sCampoo now-a-daze...it's still out dated, inferior and a crappy way to clean res

..L.T.A.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
ENCAPSULATION is the new marketing term for SHAMPOO.

Have to think up a new term for BONNET cleaning so it sounds more hip.

ROTARY PAD EXTRACTION?

Bob Foster

I can't believe it was Ron that started this thread. It's so opposite it what he believes.

1/2 day of vacuuming
Cimex for 3/4 hour
another 1/2 day of vacuuming...

G

Waldo said:
Its bad enough these janitors are using this method in daycares, doctors offices, dental offices and creating dirty socks in hotels. Scrubbin in boogers, urine, fecal matter etc. Its sick and wrong. These kind of situations should have the operator placed in jail.

Golden Boy

Hmmm, there is some great marketing material in this message. :lol:

Grant D

That would be the ultimate encap test. Have Ron pre-vac a carpet. Then encap it. Then have Ron go back a day later and vacuum again. I'm sure he could take plenty of pictures showing how much soil vacuumed out. Seems like there ought to be a LOT of it if the carpet is pretty dirty.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
When my pump busted a valve on me last winter (it was -30C and so I could not not fix it) just after pre-spraying the carpet I had no choice but use my Procaps to clean 100 sg ft of white residential nylon.

It was not fun and took way longer than steam cleaning. I pity anybody who chooses to go with that business model thinking it will be faster and cheaper, because it sucks and costs more when you factor in the actual chemical and spotter costs.

Bob Foster

If your looking for something to try out try an Momentum (edit) vacuum exclusively for a month and report back to us.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I was upset about the latest Zerorez ad claiming other carpet cleaners were immoral and left potentially dangerous things in the carpet. Then I thought about all the guys that are perfectly happy using encap on residential carpet and realize that Zerorez may be intentionally misleading in their advertising but may not be complete liars.

Moser Bros.

I use my Cimex for heavily soiled residential, but just for scrubbing with a low residue pre-spray. I tried using encap shampoo once on residential, I only tried it cause the Realtor was cheap and didn't want to pay my steam cleaning prices. When the Realtor came by to see the job she paid me more to steam cleaning the traffic areas. So, yes shampooing doesn't do much for residential unless the customer is so cheap and you don't want to lose the job.

It takes me longer to pre-spray with a hydroforce and scrub with a Host machine, then it take to scrub with a Cimex with gravity feed. I use a ramp and only use it on the first floor.

And there is a place for shampooing on commercial, it's called maintenance cleaning. Not every job need to be steam cleaned and not every client can pay for it every cleaning. I've did a quick encap after steam cleaning on trashed commercial and the job always looks better then my competitors cleaned it.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Call it temporary insanity. :roll:
I know in some places, as Shorty was pointing out, even portable work is too much pain to use.
Though most often the only situation that arises is commercial highrise, not residential.

What's an Evolution Bob? Is that a new vac?
I saw a Bissel in Home Hardware yesterday which has the same multi-funnel system as the Dyson. Didn't take long for that to get copied!

That would be an interesting test of the Cimex method, prevac, Cimex, give it a couple days, then vac again. I would imagine that its dry to the touch after a couple hours but those crystals will most likely still have some moisture after 24, much like HOST needs a good day to dry before vacuuming.

GRHeacock

The key to encapping residential is the same as commercial- a good, THOROUGH vacuuming prior to the cleaning.

I tried it out first on my own house- as I suggest you do the same, so you can see what you are facing the next day, week, etc.

Then when you are satisfied whether it works or not, then proceed.

After good results in my own house, I did not have any qualms doing it in vacant houses, rentals, and as maintenance on regular customers who have it done frequently.

I do suggest a 17 inch roto instead of the Cimex though. More maneuverable, and lighter to carry in, up and down stairs, etc.

Gary

G

Waldo really got me thinking about this type of "cleaning". I have a 2 1/2 year old, and all the kids at his pre-school are always sick and we end up getting sick too. I agree that encap should probably not be used in daycares or places where health is a concern. Today one of my customers told me her kids were told to stay home from school, because of a lice outbreak there. With the price of commercial jobs going down (because of encap), I wander if some of these health issues would not be as bad, if HWE were the primary cleaning method used. I know not everyone can clean with high heat, but if you can get 180 at the wand then you can say not only are you cleaning, but you are sanitizing. This might be a way to offer 2 types of cleaning the cheaper and the better (package pricing for commercial ;) ). Good point to bring up Waldo, it got my brain thinking again.

Bob Foster

What's the difference if their are kids on the floor or not? This is not the right thing to do to a home.

Stevea

For what it is worth, a Cimex used in conjunction with HWE and following all of the proper standards, is a fantastic system. I am not talking about encap work and then let it sit and dry vacuum, I am talking about proper pile lifting followed by vacuuming; then pre-spray followed by the use of a Cimex (15 inch works great in res. work and fairly easy to move around) but use nylon brushes not pads. This is, IMO, the best and easiest way to prepare the carpet for HWE. The results are great, it makes easy work of beat down traffic areas and the last inch before a transition area.

I have been cleaning this way for almost 35 years, started this way in 1974 and never changed it. I have been through all types of scrubbers and rotary machines and always found the Cimex to be the heart of the operation.

Use the same system, with oriental rugs; wall to wall wool carpets and anything else that needs it. By the addition of a shampoo solution used through the Cimex, the ability to remove a lot more soil is easily accomplished. Shampoo lubricated the soil along with the high impact of pre-spray, great results and soft hand to the carpet when completed.

Here is a little clip to show it as an agitation machine with the brushes. Notice how easy it is for even a 'Girl' to use it, (only kidding, I work with several woman). This will go across the edge of a carpet, even a small one and not cause damage. When you see it run over its own cord that should help one see it does not cause damage to a carpet, a seam or anything.

th_685d66d7.jpg

Just my humble opinion but after 35 years of use, I simply would not clean carpet with out the Cimex as part of the program.

SA

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom