Cimex in Res

-JB-

Name
JB
I used it ONCE, on a RATT NASTY vacant that a lady bought as her, "dream retirement home", (yeah so much for the dream :roll: ) Rented it out in the mean time, and after evicting the tenants, decide to sell it, this thing was GROSS, way heavy dirt, soil, and oils, but, NO PEE!
Got there late on Friday, showing open house noon Saturday, i was fairly confident this thing would take a good hosing to get 'er clean, so there was no way it would be good to go at noon the next day, also was quite sure it would be a "wicker". Told her about the Encap process, explained the pros n cons, she was glad there was some kinda alternative. Vacuumed the heck out of it, Mexed it, did a quick cotton bonnet follow-up.

She was THRILLED! Called first thing Monday AM, raving about how awesome it all looked, and was totally dry for the open house. She went so far as sending a real nice handwritten note of gratitude.

Say what y'all want, but, yeah. There is a time and a place.

PS

I slept good that night too. :wink:

Stevea

Ron,

Most of the work I do is based on 45 cents per sq foot with 20 cents for protective coating. I simply combine them together in my bid. I believe the work is much easier due to letting the equipment do the work for me. I am a small operator and most of the homes I work in, we tend to do a lot more than just carpets.

My rug cleaning is 3.25 per sf unless it is something that needs to be hand cleaned and then it is a little more.

I see you are in BC, I will be there in a few weeks putting on a RRT Class.

Take care,
SA

Stevea

Ron,

Sorry, I think of it as all the same. I will be in Richmond at Sycorp Environmental. That's all I know about the area. I spent about 2 weeks in the area before and also went up to Whistler area for several days. Other than all of that I have no idea where I will be. Does that tell you enough?

SA

Stevea

Ron,

Chris got it - Repair and Re-installation.

My wife took a day trip to look at some gardens on the island and she loved it. I hope to go look at them someday also.

SA

Moser Bros.

I've never tried brushed on cut pile. I use pads, More of the fibers touch the pad, but the brush probably scrub deeper into pile. I've used brushed on commercial the first couple time that I rented one, that was before I bought my own Cimex. The brushes don't work well on cdc, not enough surface area touching the loops.

need to buy a good used set of brushes.

Stevea

Lyon,

Brushes and use in residential is a major part of what ones miss when they have a Cimex. There is a completely different process of pile lifting and agitation when one uses a brush verses a pad. Beat down traffic areas suddenly become easier and simpler to improve and or correct, where they do not seem to as well with just HWE.

I can share experience after experience of how well this has worked and how much easier it makes the cleaning process but until someone sees it themselves they probably will not appreciate what it will do.

This is referring to using the Cimex, with brushes, in conjunction with HWE, with pile lifting and vacuuming, all together to really clean a piece of carpet.

I would not suggest a used set of brushes, get a new set. If you need help with a set, let me know and I will help you get a set, and I will help you save money on them.

SA

Captain Morgan

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Morgan
Steve, please clarify.

When you mention brushes.. are you talking about counter rotating brush machines or a Cimex with brushes instead of pads? Wouldn't a Cimex with brushes damage cut pile residential carpet (even if they are soft bristles?) I can agree that would significantly agitate the fibers and lift the pile but it's like using a hammer to kill a mosquito, isn't it?

Not trying to stir the pot and cause any problems.. just asking qustions to learn more. I've been torn between purchasing a used Cimex vs. a CRB machine.. mainly for commercial (which I don't have a ton of at the present but want to attack that market) but also want a piece of equipment that can multi-task more ie residental carpet, tile/grout, etc.. I feel the cimex has the commercial carpet hands down as far as aggitation and speed, but might have the edge on tile/grout. The CRB is close second on commercial but way ahead on the Cimex regarding residential carpet because of it's smaller footprint and yet can still be used on tile/grout, etc.

I appreciate your explanation or anyone else's for that matter.

Stevea

Bill,

Fair questions and I do not think you are causing any problems, just asking questions.

I am talking about the Cimex with brushes, not a CRB Machine, although I also use one and have for many years. The Cimex I have used for 35 years now and with brushes and in a residential setting, (as well as commercial).

The Cimex has superior agitation and does not do harm. I was invited some time ago to a very large manufacturing company that produces carpet and asked to share in come lab testing. They wanted me to bring a Cimex and make comparisons, which I did. We compared cleaning and possible distortion by using the following:

1. Just pre-spray and extraction
2. Pre- spray and agitation with a grooming tool
3. Pre-spray with CRB Maching
4. Cimex, with brushes added to the pre-spary

Hands down the Cimex ran away with the results, I even have the photos of it.

Plus from that testing, if I ever recommend a Cimex and their carpet is in use, they will ok the use of the Cimex. It is not in print or anything but I have done it on a few occasions and they will confirm they will allow the Cimex with brushes to be used on their carpets. In print, they do not want a floor machine with brushes on their carpet nor do they want a rotary extraction system.

Having said all of that, I have used the Cimex with brushes for all these years on residential and just do not have a problem. Try running a single disc machine over a weak seam in a residential carpet, it can open it up and tear it up, the Cimex will not hurt it nor tear it open. Try running a single disc machine over the edge of a carpet or along the transition metal and see what bouncing and problems occur, try doing this with a pad system. This can easily be accomplished with easy by a Cimex and it will agitate and scrub the edge without damage to the carpet. Try to run a single disc machine over its own power cord and see what happens; you can do this with a Cimex and it will not wind it all up and pull it out of the wall, thus demonstrating it does not do damage to carpet.

I will attach two little video clips to show this. Notice also how the cleaning of a small hook latch rug is done with the Cimex as part of a system. Try to do this with a single disc machine, over and over, and then see if there is damage. The Cimex will not damage the rug as long as it is in reasonable good shape. I have cleaned oriental rugs with it for years and it does not hurt them.

If you really want to have a machine that will cover all of this as well as work on tile and grout, the Cimex is the machine. If you want speed and coverage on commercial, the Cimex is the machine. You can add numerous brushes to do many other surfaces as well. It is also very easy to operate and use.

If you have other questions or need help getting a Cimex, let me know, I will be glad to help.

Here is a clip using it on a cut pile residential rug to show some of the use, notice the edge cleaning as well as the part with the machine power cord.
th_685d66d7.jpg

Here is the clip with the small hook latch rug, This has been cleaned once or twice a year for the last 8 years like this, notice there is not a damage problem of any sort.
th_CleaningStepsPileBrush-Vacuum-Cimex.jpg

Here are shots of the rug before and after, notice there is no damage.
Before
IMG_1949.jpg

After
IMG_1953.jpg

Hope this helps with your questions.

Take care,
SA

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
I bought a used 15" Cimex a couple of years ago. Great scrubber, but way too much of a PITA to get in & out of the truck. I never really adjusted to it - I had a lot of long hallways and it took me nearly twice as long to use compared to a rotary.

I did sell it to a friend and he LOVES the thing, said it's the best deal he ever got. Go figure!

steve r

ron,

i tried using just the cimex in apartments last winter.i also used a 175 and cotton bonnets at one point.i didnt tell the complex managers what i did because i was curious if they would notice a difference.

well after a few jobs they asked what and if i was doing something different.they thought it wasnt looking as good as normal. normal is the bane without prespray except on the nasty ones.

i also didnt like carrying the machines up 3 flights of stairs neither.

the apartments have been a great training ground for me.im not afraid to try something new there and have done a lot of experimenting.

i did have one job where a woman was running a daycare out of her basement.blue commercial glue down.after i baned it she got black socks.i encapped it with releasit and cotton bonnets the second time.i also vacuumed before both cleanings by the way.still black socks.

3rd time i used the 175 and cotton bonnnets but used banes brown out.carpets came out wonderful.soft to the touch and no more black sock.this was a very picky lady and she was at her wits end with me but i hung in there and learned a very valuable lessen about commercial glue down.

i think encapping in a commercial setting works because everyone wears shoes but in a home where white socks are common this is not the best approach. but bonnet cleaning with banes brown out on berber and commecial gluedown works for me in a residential setting.

DavidVB

Re: Steve Andrews has me beat by a decade

Steve,

I bought my first Cimex in 1982. I agree with everything you are saying. Brushes have become very underrated. I have learned though that Cimex is not very consistent in their brush construction. The new set I have now really needs to be soaked before using or they are stiff enough to possibly do some damage on a cut pile. I've had others so soft, they wouldn't even hold the machine up.

If I remember right, you don't use a TM. I see you used the Steamin Demon for extraction. Is that what you are using in houses? We tried that a few years ago and found it awkward. Plus the humidity exhausted in the home was not good. Do you also use a portable? What about stairs, edges etc. If i were to use something portable, I would want to either set it outside or exhaust it outside.

Like you, we do more work not using the TM than we do using it. I continue to think about moving away from the TM and using a system like you are describing. I love the Cimex. I don't love TMs. Tell us a little about your extraction phase.

How's the hard to reach window business going for you?

Thanks

Stevea

Hi David,

Nice to see your thoughts. As for brushes, they make a HD and a Light Duty set of nylon brushes, the HD is great for most everything and the light duty I use for wool area rugs. I have never had a problem with a properly lubricated carpet and the brushes.

I do use portables and I am heavy into dry soil removal and grooming work with pile lifting and vacuuming. I do not seem to have a problem with the SD inside, although in my area it is not uncommon for me to use dehu's in probably 20% of the homes I work in as well as air dryers.

Steps and hard to reach areas I just use hand tools like everyone else. I do not find the SD hard to work since I have used drag wands for a long time and the process is very similar. I do not want anything outside due to the homes I work in and the type of work I do, just works for me.

The "High and Hard to Reach Window Cleaning" is fine and active, season just getting started and moving along.

Been busy working on several projects related to Carpet Repair Work as well.

Good the see your post and have someone that really understands the added value of a Cimex when brushes are included.

Take care,
SA

SuperUser

Steve,

All I can say is WOW. Thanks for sharing your tips of the trade and the process you use for cleaning carpets. I was really inpressed with the video as well. Just one question (at least for now)...

With the thourough cleaning you provide your customers, do you find that they are in need of getting their carpets cleaned less often because they stay cleaner longer? Trying to firgure a marketing angle for increasing the SF price with implementing a method such as yours.

Again, thanks for everything you have already shared.

Sam

Stevea

Sam,

Thanks for the kind words. In my own mind I have believed for a very long time that the old adage of people saying to wait for as long as possible to clean one's carpet because it gets dirtier faster, has a lot to do with we never really remove much soil to begin with. If we follow the standards and really focus on the principles of cleaning, we will have a carpet that stays nicer longer. (I know, a very ambiguous term)

Anyway, I like to clean, clean carpet. I focus on the clientele that will refer me and use me over and over again. It seems the nicer homes and people with the funds for it, will have the carpet cleaned on a very regular basis. If you perform very well, it makes it hard for someone to follow what you do, if they are not willing to perform the same way.

I like what a lady one told me about the work we perform and competition and so on, she said, "The Cream Always Rises to the Top". I think there is some truth to that in cleaning as well.

As for the time it takes or pricing, I think using the correct methods actually makes the cleaning easier. I do not find it takes any longer to do and it makes it simpler, IMO.

where in Fl are you located? I spent 18 years in Fl. Ft Myers; Orlando Area and panhandle area.

Hope all goes well for you.

SA

SuperUser

Steve,

I currently on the east cost of Central Florida and have only been cleaning carpets for about 6 months. But have I lived all over the Orlando Area. I was just up there about a month ago taking the WRT class at Crown Cleaning Supplies. I have not taken a carpet class yet and don't think I will be able to anytime soon. The company I work has a higher Revenue from Water Damages than carpet cleaning.

We already have a large customer base with the clientele your are referring to. The reason they go with us is because we are the best in the area and they have been using us for many many years. With that said, I think we still fall short of the quality of work you seem to be performing on every job. As a relative new comer to the carpet cleaning world I found your post to be very enlightening and think the process you use is definately one of the best, if not the best way to clean. I think it has been a great help to me in understanding not just what to do, but why.

Currently I am just using a TLC as pre-spray with Ultra-dry for the tough to clean spots followed by HWE. The results are good and the customers are happy but sometimes I am not, and the traffic lanes always pose a problem even with my TLC. But unless I can get the boss to spring for a Cimex and pile lifter, and can convince him of the advantage to spending longer at a job to get the best quality, I'll just be cleaning the best with what I have.

Sam

Stevea

Sam,

Very nice words and attitude you have, it would seem any boss would want to help someone with your thoughts to help make progress for the company. If I may ever be of any help please feel free to contact me.

The cost of these tools are minor when you compare what they do.

Take care,
SA

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
SA said:
Sam,

Very nice words and attitude you have,

The cost of these tools are minor when you compare what they do.

Take care,
SA

If I may, I would say that the cost of the tools are negligible compared to the end result, customer satisfaction and the R.O.I. that will be repaid many times over when your customers see the end result.

Steve's combination has been proven over time by a master of the trade.

Ooroo,

:roll:

PS ::: I am really cheesed off that I cannot get a Steamin Demon in 220/240 volt out here. :( :( :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom