Cleaner died here this morning unnecessarily

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
count me in. get me an address or might be better if Mikey contacts them or a dist here like Olson and get them a check asap. they will most probably have immediate expenses. Guy was running what looked like an unmarked van and a portable. Poor guy was probably just starting out. If you end up handling it John just pull $100 from my CC on file and get it to them. God Bless
Sad....

Billy, if you find out more about the guy (perhaps thru a disty), let us know if there is a family or kids that will be in serious need. I'm sure some of us could pitch in for a quick help with a check sent to them. 20-50 bucks from a handful of guys here could make a difference.

Billy

Name
BH
count me in. get me an address or might be better if Mikey contacts them or a dist here like Olson and get them a check asap. they will most probably have immediate expenses. Guy was running what looked like an unmarked van and a portable. Poor guy was probably just starting out. If you end up handling it John just pull $100 from my CC on file and get it to them. God Bless

I will try to find out more info on him Monday from locals that may know him.

So far I can't find much accept he seems to have started sometime in 2007 or before. I didn't think it was appropriate to call today (especially with me not even knowing him) in case he has a family trying to grieve.

Last edited:

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
This morning a cleaner set his truck up in a garage of a house being prepped for rental & died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. I know it is cold but all of us should above all remember safety when trying to stay warm while cleaning.

We heard about this because clients have been contacting us to make sure it wasn't one of us.

We added an on-board Carbon Monoxide Detector to our truck last year for safety.

then you say something happened ... in another thread...
did you do it for safety..??....or was there a problem.....??

I only ask because you put this on here and if there is a concern...then I would think that you can tell everyone what it is and what happened as to why you added one so that in the future....someone else does not get hurt..or god forbid die............

you have a box truck...not like you have a van with a machine and exhaust inside....so I would be concerned of others welfare if there was an issue...

Last edited:

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
First off, let me state that I feel very sorry for his family, this is very tragic for them.

But this guy gets the Darwin Award...

He died by running a Van/Generator/Truckmount in a CLOSED GARAGE,

...To ME, that's just as careless and moronic as checking if a guns loaded by putting it in your mouth and pulling the trigger.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
:eekk:

I agree. :neutral:

He couldn't have been thinking it all the way through or he would have never pulled the door shut. So very sad, a simple mistake in judgement cost him his life.

Was it an electric TM? or do they keep calling the powerplant "the generator"? Not knocking ETM's but if he was used to using electricity and if they didn't have any yet, that might explain some of why he wasn't more aware.

It almost sounds rediculous but maybe manufacturers should have "Warning Do Not Operate in Enclosed Spaces" stickers on the units. Distributor could have posters on their walls with the same. You would think most people would know this but if a sticker or a poster saves a life then it would be worth the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GCCLee

FredC

Village Idiot
:eekk:

I agree. :neutral:

Was it an electric TM? or do the keep calling the powerplant "the generator"? Not knocking ETM's but if he was used to using electricity and if they didn't have any yet, that might explain some of why he wasn't more aware.

Looks like he was powering a porty from a generator in the van. Guessing no electricity at the home yet.

View attachment 3740

Becker

Name
Becker
Not sure if this is appropriate but the news just showed a Pic of Al Batson, Jr.

View attachment 3730

Now they are saying he could have been dead for quite some time because he was scheduled yesterday.

Looks like a nice guy. Any word on family?

I'm shocked to hear of things like this today. But then again Dave parks in clients garages and claims his propane heater is 100% safe. Hmm. Wait a min. Where has Dave been?

Maybe a national campaign to have bright warning notices posted at all distributors that sell truck mounted machines. I realize manuals warn, but used machines don't come with manuals. And well. Some people don't read manuals.

I'd like to see all distributors post this article in their shops.

WA started a new law. All rentals and resells or new home no matter the source of heat or utilities to the house require CO alarms.

Senseless death!!

Becker

Name
Becker
This morning a cleaner set his truck up in a garage of a house being prepped for rental & died from Carbon Monoxide poisoning. I know it is cold but all of us should above all remember safety when trying to stay warm while cleaning.

We heard about this because clients have been contacting us to make sure it wasn't one of us.

We added an on-board Carbon Monoxide Detector to our truck last year for safety.

I can't imagine that helps at all unless you take the detector into the job with you.

Reactions: bob vawter
D

Deleted member 51539

Looks like he was powering a porty from a generator in the van. Guessing no electricity at the home yet.

View attachment 3740

To me, it looks like he took out the 175 pad driver and mop bucket to make room for a small heater. To do this the garage door has to be open because of space constraints.

It appears the power must have been on, otherwise the garage door opener wouldn't work, and if you disconnect the garage door drive mechanism to open it manually, the door would sag down a little- that and the cable guy was coming over the next day.

I would say he was using a truckmount with fresh water tank, If it was an ETM- I would think he would use house power, and it wasn't a portable, most guys don't have hose reels and shelves with a portable.

From the pic, you can see the grey 2" hose and grey pressure line on the ground so I can only assume he was cleaning upstairs when the fumes overtook him.

The guy owned Big six entertainment since 2002 and All Star Floor Care since 2009.

In any case It was a sad and tragic accident.

View attachment 3743

Reactions: Billy and FredC

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Never a bad idea to have a CO detector on the van. I have one that rides with me in the cab. In the winter, the van is closed up more than normal and quite a bit of CO builds up in there. This way I know when the cab has been cleared out enough to hit the road.

Also not a bad idea to set the unit in the clients doorway on summer jobs. Even when parked fairly far away, the fumes can find their way into the home. More than you might think.

Detectors are cheap and well worth it.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Does anyone make an Affordable Wearable CO alarm?

Maybe Involve the Insurance Companies in this as well. That will get the ball rolling on CO issues within the Industry.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
To me, it looks like he took out the 175 pad driver and mop bucket to make room for a small heater. To do this the garage door has to be open because of space constraints.

It appears the power must have been on, otherwise the garage door opener wouldn't work, and if you disconnect the garage door drive mechanism to open it manually, the door would sag down a little- that and the cable guy was coming over the next day.

I would say he was using a truckmount with fresh water tank, If it was an ETM- I would think he would use house power, and it wasn't a portable, most guys don't have hose reels and shelves with a portable.

From the pic, you can see the grey 2" hose and grey pressure line on the ground so I can only assume he was cleaning upstairs when the fumes overtook him.

The guy owned Big six entertainment since 2002 and All Star Floor Care since 2009.

In any case It was a sad and tragic accident.

View attachment 3743

Inspector gadget.:clap: Funny thing is that I have always said that a cc is like being a detective. You seem to have it down pat.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Does anyone make an Affordable Wearable CO alarm?

Maybe Involve the Insurance Companies in this as well. That will get the ball rolling on CO issues within the Industry.

http://sensorcon.com/tough-waterproof-us-made-carbon-monoxide-tester-meter-co-inspector/

[video=youtube;bV8mL9gkAGk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bV8mL9gkAGk[/video]

These are normally $149, but they are backordered till 2/3/14, so they are offering a $30 off for your trouble - that's $119 + shipping!

Last edited:
Name
Lee Stockwell
Thanks Dan. I was shopping for them before I got on the board today.

Until it's in I'm attaching a 9v one to the side of the Hydroforce...most likely to be brought in to every job.

Reactions: dgardner
D

Deleted member 51539

I would hang a battery powered one on the point of entry's door.

What happens if you are in the back cleaning with the alarm and the custy is in the front reading a book... will your alarm protect your custy?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
I would hang a battery powered one on the point of entry's door.

What happens if you are in the back cleaning with the alarm and the custy is in the front reading a book... will your alarm protect your custy?

So, maybe carry the personal one for when you're working alone, and put out the portable one when others are present?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
So, maybe carry the personal one for when you're working alone, and put out the portable one when others are present?

or how about just keeping your dang trucks away from the doors.........

most the homes I am in have the detectors already in them.....the newer homes that they are putting up have them built into the smoke detectors.......

that being said.....hell would freeze before I trusted them or any portable ones that I can bring in....never trust your equipment....

Just use your head and keep your exhaust away from the doors.....even if you have to turn your van the other way.....or keep it out on the street....the little bit of inconvenience may make the difference......

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Well, I certainly wouldn't point my exhaust at the door because "my meter will protect me". But what if I'm careful to keep my exhaust away from the doors, but the wind shifts or some other unforseen event happens - the monitor is just an another layer of protection, nothing more.

Reactions: Billy

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Well, I certainly wouldn't point my exhaust at the door because "my meter will protect me". But what if I'm careful to keep my exhaust away from the doors, but the wind shifts or some other unforseen event happens - the monitor is just an another layer of protection, nothing more.

I agree to a point....but I can see people getting way to comfortable with in the back of there head.....they think they have it covered because they have something in place.....

and we will be reading it on here next year........99.9% of the time...if we just use our head..we won't have any problems....people have cleaned carpets for years with out any problems.....I have yet to understand how anyone could be so stupid as to do what this poor man did..........it happens I guess....but it is not like it is a common thing.......

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Yeah, that's the tragedy of it all, the guy who has the presence of mind to use a detector will probably be safety-minded and never actually need it - it's the poor guy who doesn't think that would need one, and he most surely won't have it....

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
And for better or worse - we all have come to trust our "equipment" rather heavily. When you step on the brakes, you have come to expect that they will keep you from crashing into the car in front of you. Ever get on an elevator, ride in a jet airliner, etc.? We literally put our lives in the hands of technology every day. The only people that actually expect their equipment to blow up in their faces are Little Giant owners.....

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Yeah, that's the tragedy of it all, the guy who has the presence of mind to use a detector will probably be safety-minded and never actually need it - it's the poor guy who doesn't think that would need one, and he most surely won't have it....

Its not like this is a brand new discovery that everyone is sitting back and saying OMG we can't do that....until yesterday....not a single one of us have thought about the need to implement a detector to our daily cleanings.....

now all the sudden...we all have to have them....to me that just does not make since....you have been smart enough all these years to do the right thing....don't worry about it now....just keep doing what your doing......

Billy

Name
BH
I can't imagine that helps at all unless you take the detector into the job with you.

We mounted it inside the Box to protect us from hidden possible exposure. But in terms of the current topic I do believe it would have possibly saved his life mounted in his van. Because it would have sounded long before it became dangerous making him aware of the imminent danger he created in the Garage. I know the one we have is quite loud.

I will never have another truck with a machine in it without a CO Detector which incidentally is very cheap to have even if never needed. As for the need for one inside, I don't see the need for one because we are very careful to setup thinking of safety.

Just last year we rerouted all exhaust for the soot & our safety to non working side of our truck. Even if you park what you assume is a safe distance there are other factors to take into account such as obstructions, wind etc.... I always try to err on the side of safety even if others make fun of me or tell me what I do is overkill or unnecessary for what ever reason.

I really didn't want or intend this post to be about me or my situation, this was a tragic & as many said preventable occurrence IMO.

Last edited:

Becker

Name
Becker
I'm sorry billy. I strongly disagree! CO is a heavy gas. And with most tms that gas is forced out the front of the machine. Co levels could be fairly low near the van. But extreamly high is the lower parts of a home. I'd also wonder. With sucking large volumes of air out of a house while cleaning, well that air gets replaced. If a guy sets up wrong. He is just sucking co into the house.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom