Cleaning a burgundy velour sectional

Name
Jeff T
582FC5DD-BB67-46AF-9637-8AF1F8B36E11.png
758CC3F1-9ABE-4277-817D-C03B7933C298.png
64965878-CD82-4442-884D-58B51A0C887C.png
I’ve got a client that wants to know whether we can clean this couch. The fact that it is red, and also velour(velvet?), is a little concerning to me. Obviously I would want to test for color fastness, keep my chems down on the ph scale, speed/force dry and post brush with a carding brush. Anything else I should be concerned about? I do believe the brand is Broyhill( if that makes a difference). Thanks in advance).
@Jim Pemberton
Jeff @ SCC

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Much depends on whether this is made from natural or synthetic fibers.

If synthetic, it will be likely cleaning a microfiber, and while you might get some red dye crocking, when its done it should look fine.

If its natural, the texture will change significantly. You'll be able to groom it to remove wand marks and leave it soft, but the "crush" will be gone, and it will look like a conventional velvet sofa. You also might have it lighten up a few shades.

I wonder how old this is; I was cleaning pieces like this in the 70's....

Name
Jeff T
Much depends on whether this is made from natural or synthetic fibers.

If synthetic, it will be likely cleaning a microfiber, and while you might get some red dye crocking, when its done it should look fine.

If its natural, the texture will change significantly. You'll be able to groom it to remove wand marks and leave it soft, but the "crush" will be gone, and it will look like a conventional velvet sofa. You also might have it lighten up a few shades.

I wonder how old this is; I was cleaning pieces like this in the 70's....
Thank you Jim for your response. I’m really looking forward to the March class.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If you need me for any quick answers, call 412-414-9129. I'm leaving for a class out of state, so I won't be on line much, but will be able to answer my phone, including this weekend.

The class will be fun. You'll inspect, test, spot, clean and restore things more than you'll sit.

Jim

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom