Client allergic to lavender

Cody Ransom

Name
Cody
Hey I need some help I have a client that had a cleaning company coming into the house right before they bought it and they used a product with lavender in it all over the carpets. She is extremely allergic to it and can't even touch it. I tried cleaning it and rinsing it out really good once, she said it's better in some places the same in others but not consistent. She is still reacting to it. Do you have any advice on how to get that lavender out the carpet?

Cody Ransom

Name
Cody
Next time I can try a rotary extractor. But when I cleaned it in their living room I did 4 wet passes and she was still reacting to it. I even bumped the psi up and went pretty slow to rinse it out. Is there a product that could help rinse it out? Thanks for your response.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
What was her original reaction? Did she break out physically? Skin irritation? Respiratory? Is she reacting physically or psychologically at this point. Is the hint of the residual scent causing her to react? If its scent, may have some residue in the heating and cooling system. Try to find out what the exact product is then call the chemist to see if there is a counteractant to reverse the action or find out what you can use to dilute or remove the residual product. That would be what I would do.

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
Judson makes a product called Quat-A-Lot. I might try pre-spraying with that - allow to dwell for 15-20 mins and then rinse. Or just use the product as the rinse. The customer might just be looking for replacement carpeting by working up an insurance claim too.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I just remembered years ago this guy stopped by representing some company that sold odorless deodorizer called Cast Away. He asked me to rub onion juice on my hands then he sprayed them with Cast Away which removed the onion smell without any odor of its own. I thought it was pretty cool. They wouldnt sell less than 5 gallons at a time and it was very expensive so I lost interest .

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Assuming she's not a nutbag and genuinely allergic to lavender, then if she is having a real reaction it has to be due to the presence of an actual component of lavender, most likely being lavender oil, as opposed to just a synthetic lavender fragrance, so you have to focus on removing the oil.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
You've gotten a lot of great advice here. I've dealt with this problem a few times.

A few thoughts:

1. Is she under a doctors care, and if so, what does he feel needs to be done? If she's this sick, she is self diagnosing and this isn't a good idea to get too deeply involved in.

2Most of these deodorizers that cause this reaction are oily in nature, but invisible to the naked eye. You should use a prespray that breaks down oils, but that doesn't have a strong fragrance or VOC's. Its difficult to know if she is reacting to THAT perfume oil, or to any oily substance that has a smell. That's why "Step 1" is so important.

3. If you are comfortable doing so based on medical advice, use the strongest and lowest odor prespray you have access to, prespray and agitate the carpet (think of invisible restaurant grease), then hot water extract using a rotary jet extractor or high flow wand. She should not be in the home while you do this, as hot water will likely cause more of the odor to release into the air, such as it will with urine.

4. A truck mount is important to be used, or if you only have a portable, one strong enough to leave on the porch. Recirculating the odor from the lavender oil you pulled out of the carpet into the air will make her feel worse.

They may have used that product on other surfaces. They could have used the same product or fragrance in everything.
Good advice from Dave on this one. If that stuff is on walls, baseboards, vents, etc...she has a major problem.

6. And don't forget the best advice you were given above:
BTW are you collecting for a restorative type cleaning? Sometimes we feel obligated to offer endless cleaning attempts for free until the issue has become resolved. Just keep in mind you are there to help her with her problem.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Last edited:

rjwood

Faux Fosythe
Name
Me
Hey I need some help I have a client that had a cleaning company coming into the house right before they bought it and they used a product with lavender in it all over the carpets. She is extremely allergic to it and can't even touch it. I tried cleaning it and rinsing it out really good once, she said it's better in some places the same in others but not consistent. She is still reacting to it. Do you have any advice on how to get that lavender out the carpet?
You haven't told us what you think of the smell. How bad is it? Does it become worse when you wet it or does heat cause any change.

steve_64

I would try an anti allergen treatment. Just apply it to any area she is having issues with.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I wouldn't "try" anything without heavily considering Jim p post above, DONT MAKE HER PROBLEM YOUR PROBLEM.

ALL YOU ARE THERE FOR IS TO HELP HER WITH HER PROBLEM.

at this point you would need a "protocol" of some sort from her physician detailing how they believe it should be remedied and do it like they stated.

How do you know if you come in and clean it , she won't be all of the sudden allergic to orange oil, d-limonene?

steve_64

If you can solve her problem you will be a hero and have a referral machine.
If you dont solve it and the next guy does well you wont be the guy to call when needed For regular cleaning neither.
No risk no reward big risk big reward.
I like being a problem solver. With the info given here this is a solvable problem just charge accordingly.

F

FB7777

I disagree...

RUN!!

Had a customer years ago with severe chemical sensitivity that ultimately ended up on oxygen during the last years of her life

Insisted we clean with HOT water ONLY

Lectured me on the evils of tolulene , body sprays, perfumes, fabric softening sheets and how they are killing us all

Last service appointment, my helper had to sit in the truck the entire time because he was wearing cologne .

The panic that washed over the woman's face when she detected the fragrance on him would have led you to believe he had done something criminal in her home.

It is great to be a hero, and this situation, while unique to me , illustrates the extreme importance of the "pre game discussion ' regarding expectations to avoid the possible transfer of responsibility for this problem

I would have made this a one off attempt..." Lady, I will introduce a detergent that will assist in the removal of the lavendar oils, if you are satisfied , Great!
If not, then here is the name of my favorite and most respected carpet retailer"

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
How do you know if you come in and clean it, she won't be all of the sudden allergic to orange oil, d-limonene?
This would be my concern. That the solution to her problem creates a different one now. One that you caused trying to correct the other guys issue.

Sensitive people can be sensitive to more than fragrances.

You need separation from the initial problem and an authorization to proceed releasing you from possibly making things worse. Get it down on paper and make sure it is signed.

People will agree to your plan until that plan goes South. They you are also to blame despite what was discussed before hand. Document it and everyone remembers what was stated.

She needs to be out of the home both during and after until completely dry.

Mikey P

Administrator

Mikey P

Administrator
I too would be real concerned abut creating a new odor for here to freak on

Ever work with someone who is allergic to orange oil?

These are not normal allergic reactions with these people. More like Chem Trail and Illuminati rashes...

Reactions: Scott S. and D Luke

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
I have a job lined up for this week, with the same concerns. My approach wil be with the psuedo quasi world famous RotoVac StairPro with a soft water rinse @ 185 degrees. Flu season has (s)hit this house, if you know what I mean. I plan to sneak up on the offending areas without their (the carpets) knowledge and rinse the daylights out of them before they have a chance to react. Pow!
Same as I do all the time...Lady mentioned 'chemical smells' from previous cleaning attempts, by others.Shouldn't be to hard to eliminate her concerns. She was recommended to me by a long time client.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Most I ask what they wash their cloths with and then proceed. It's always funny when they say cheer or all. For the worst of the worst customer I just use peroxide with a rotary. I still have some dfc left for the more normal. Just let them know the cleaning probably won't be as good.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Interlink has been having ads on here about there vapor clean machine. I have not used the one they have you can clean with it and use many towels to remove oils and scent.
You can clean hard surfaces and walls to. Charge by the hour until she is happy. The carpets have already been clean more than once.

Reactions: Mikey P

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Some good advice above from Jim P and others.

I would not introduce any new chemical. Unless her doctor says differently, it is hard for you to know if the reaction is to the specific odor or maybe she would react to many different odors. (I doubt this is an allergy). No telling about some who are chemically sensitive.

Rinse / flush with plenty of hot water.

Wipe down other surface with damp towels or steam vapor and towels.

Use vetilation to remvoe odors that are present. Heat can speed up the process of eliminating odors. Diluting with fresh air will be the most help.

She may need to move out for a few days while fans, air movers or hwatever along with open windows are used to bring in fresh air and move outold odors.

Change the air filter in the HVAC system.

Cody Ransom

Name
Cody
Thank you for all of your feedback and help and she could be crazy. When I was done cleaning she put her hand on it and her skin turned red and some hives appeared. She was happy because it was better but I use a high ph to make sure to cut though ever thing and she went out for breakfast so i didn't have to worry about her reaction when I was cleaning. I did 4 wet passes to flush everything out and there is not a lavender smell I'm just dealing with her reaction. I just don't get it I used a good prespray and scrubbed it really good and cleaned it slow .

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Until a product and process exists that will remove the lavender oil from her mind, she will continue to have such reactions.

This is not unusual, as there are people who still see the disfigurements in their faces after successful plastic surgery.

Compared to that, smelling lavender oil is nothing.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
Some good advice above from Jim P and others.

I would not introduce any new chemical. Unless her doctor says differently, it is hard for you to know if the reaction is to the specific odor or maybe she would react to many different odors. (I doubt this is an allergy). No telling about some who are chemically sensitive.

Rinse / flush with plenty of hot water.

Wipe down other surface with damp towels or steam vapor and towels.

Use vetilation to remvoe odors that are present. Heat can speed up the process of eliminating odors. Diluting with fresh air will be the most help.

She may need to move out for a few days while fans, air movers or hwatever along with open windows are used to bring in fresh air and move outold odors.

Change the air filter in the HVAC system.
what about clean free, i use the shit out of that stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom