Cobb job has no belt tensioner, belts keep slipping

Name
Lyon
24hp dynachem, Cobb says they don't use belt tensioners and so I can't tighten belts and they slip after a couple months of use.
I should install a belt tensioner. Can't figure out how to download video from iphone.

Name
Lyon
5u6uba9a.jpg
pumesady.jpg

New belts and some useless ones that are barely worn

Name
Lyon
Hey!!

YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT MY ADVERTISERS THAT WAY!!!

My Dynachem is a great machine, it's 10 years old and the only problems I have is with the belts, the only thing else I replaced is spark plug wires on the 24hp Honda motor

Last edited:

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Is that the exhaust running right over the top of the belts? Wrap some exhaust tape 'round it to lessen the heat!

Reactions: SamIam

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I just can't see where you are going to be able to install a belt tensioner on that thing...there is just not enough belt to play with.......
I hate the idea of moving something and trying to reset it just to install belts...sooner or later it is not going to go back right........and your just looking for trouble...
the pipe needs wrapped..but heat rises and I can't see where it is effecting the belts enough to worry to much about it.............

wow...........

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
He's not distracted at all.
Laser focused is the word, Richard was looking for.
For example: Last night Larry was trying to get even with Mike, persuading him to use Vol 40 + his magic lantern on a super expensive wool carpet in billionaires' row.

The man got priorities.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
the pipe needs wrapped..but heat rises and I can't see where it is effecting the belts enough to worry to much about it.............

Heat doesn't rise (per se), the heated air around the pipe certainly does rise due to convection, but a heated surface also radiates heat in the form of infrared energy. Ever eaten at a restaurant outside on the patio when they have the propane infrared heaters going? the heated surface is usually way above your head, but the heat energy radiates directly toward you, and can be uncomfortably hot. I wouldnt't discount the radiated heat......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
When did it become a problem? If its ten years old and just started, could it be something else the problem and the belts are just the product of it?
or Has it always been a problem?

Name
Lyon
When did it become a problem? If its ten years old and just started, could it be something else the problem and the belts are just the product of it?
or Has it always been a problem?

The belts slip with little wear since they have to be big enough to slip on by hand, we used to use automotive belts when I worked at for a cleaner that had 4 dynachems. They'd break after a few months. I started using cog belts after a machine shop told me to and they are cheaper, they grip better for a while. I wrapped the pipes a few years ago and the fiberglass started to fall apart after a year or so. I've talked to the mechanics at Cobbs and they said they don't use a tensioner cause it wears out the belts faster. I've heard that you can still use a worn belt longer with a tensioner. It wouldn't be a problem if I could get a year out of the belts

Reactions: Desk Jockey

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Looking past the engine at the blower pulley, does the pulley turn clockwise or counter-clockwise?

J

JS41035

You could still put a slide style tensioner on. It would be tight but you could do it. But if your gonna bust out the welder I would scoot the blower to the right. It would lengthen your water pump belt but give you a bit more room. As far as tensioner wearing out belts......huh? That's just silly. Proper tension saves belts. Look at WM,Butler ,(not you ,prochem 405 Arrrrgggg)they use them and the belts last for years. Also look at cars ,lawn mowers , snow blowers etc.
If the machine works fine and you have some years on it. Don't mess with it. Just buy some extra belts and make sure your next machine has a way to tighten belts.

Last edited by a moderator:

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Clockwise

That's good news. When the engine pulley turns, it "pulls" the belt on one side of the pulley, creating tension on the belt, and "pushes" the other side, creating slack. The tensioner pretty much always goes on the slack side, where it does the most good (and lives the longest due to reduced force on the bearing). Since yours turns clockwise the slack is on the top, where it will be easiest to place the tensioner.

Reactions: Moser Brothers

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
This is just a thought -

If you can't find the room to place a standard v-belt idler (which has to go under the belts - and thus between the pulleys), and you just can't bring yourself to unbolt and start relocating things to make more room, consider using a serpentine-belt tensioner (with a smooth, flat surface) on the backside of your belts, pushing down on the belts. it will add tension, and also increase slightly the surface area of contact between the belts and pulleys.

Like this:

View attachment 4619

Reactions: Moser Brothers

Able 1

Name
Keith
So, there are no slots to move either the engine or the blower?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Ahem, this is where the manufacturer chimes in with accurate information to help the cleaner in distress......

Calling Mr Cobb?

I'm not a manufacturer...
but i DID stay at a Holiday Inn one time.....
THIS is the proper way to tighten yor belts...
a BRACKET with two concentrics.....
i've got templates for most 45's and 47's
i believe this is Chris' machine

SGTIGHTNER.jpg

Last edited:

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I'm not a manufacturer...
but i DID stay at a Holiday Inn one time.....
THIS is the proper way to tighten yor belts...
a BRACKET with two concentrics.....
i've got templates for most 45's and 47's
i believe this is Chris' machine

SGTIGHTNER.jpg

thats the kind of bracket I was thinking of. I can tell if you have room from the picture. Belt tensioner do not wear out belts faster,improper adjustment does. The idea is they always keep the tension correct. I just changed out belts that had over 10k hrs on them, just cause. Heat will ruin them quickly which is why I have a electric radiator fan on mine. Everybody I know that has a belt problem is from heat and solved it with a fan. Look at the new SAffires

Gene

Reactions: Art Kelley

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom