Common Tool Questions

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
I have a 10 and 15” crb, with renovators on both. Renovators are easy on and off. For agitation, whether doing low moisture or hwe, they are awesome. I cleaned 6500 ft by myself yesterday. Crb for pre scrub coffee stains, then Cimexed afterwards. You can do the same with hwe. Crb just glides along. Rotovac is not the same and slow even with brush head.
Thanks for sharing... got a number of questions as a newb:

i.) What is a renovator?
ii.) What is hwe?
iii.) What is Cimex
iv.) I would assume the only difference between the 10" and 15" is the smaller one lets you get into tighter places? Like there's no functional difference correct?
v.) Can you please link the product you have so I can take a look?

Thanks,

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
I am in the process of selling my Rotovacs. I have both the 360i and the 360 XL. Great machine, especially with the brush head but I don't use them often enough. I don't run into trashed carpet that needs it very often. I also have a CRB which use more often when I feel a carpet needs more attention. The Rotovacs hook up to your truck mount and spray and scrub and extract in one motion. Very effective but can be slow making sure you extract well. Most guys use a wand afterwards to extract a little more and get rid of the swirl marks. The CRB is just a scrubber but a very effective one at that. You prespray, scrub, them extract. Works great.

By the sounds of what you, and others, have shared, the CRB is the clear cut winner for what will be used in most homes. I will be sending you a PM now to further discuss.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Sorry, I can’t keep up with who’s who here. 10” crb is pretty much all you need for residential hot water extraction for agitation. Renovators are attachments that snap on that catches debris such as hair and lent. You can also use the crb for low moisture cleaning in commercial applications. Don’t worry about about a Cimex, only Janitors use em😄 How’s that

Reactions: Mikey P

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Hello,
I've put together a list of items I'll be purchasing and wanted to make sure these look okay. I have linked all products, and welcome feedback!

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Spend a little more money, and get at a minimum an electric sprayer for treating the carpet. In my early years working as an employee, I used a pump up sprayer and it was one of the tools that made me hate this work

The PMF swivel stair tool will give you frustration as well. Save a few dollars and get a non swivel head westpak version. I know the popular guys on here love it, but I hated it because it swiveled too much out of control when I was trying to use it

And you want the black brush version of the carpet rake. The one you posted is too stiff and does a bad job at "grooming" the carpet properly.

Reactions: alexcarpets

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Spend a little more money, and get at a minimum an electric sprayer for treating the carpet. In my early years working as an employee, I used a pump up sprayer and it was one of the tools that made me hate this work

The PMF swivel stair tool will give you frustration as well. Save a few dollars and get a non swivel head westpak version. I know the popular guys on here love it, but I hated it because it swiveled too much out of control when I was trying to use it

And you want the black brush version of the carpet rake. The one you posted is too stiff and does a bad job at "grooming" the carpet properly.
Matt - Thank you so much for taking a look at the items. A few points:

i.) Noted, and thank you for the heads up! I'll add the Hydro-Force, and maybe keep a pump up as a back up.

ii.) There are 2 version of the Westpak 6" wide (24" wide) and 10" wide (40" long), which do you recommend?

iii.) May be a dumb question, but can I not just rotate the whole wand if I go with the Westpak (or similar)? Or, will it be a hassle and cause issues, such as pressure hose binding?

iv.) Great catch on the carpet rake, and thank you for the heads up! Can you please link the brush you recommend? I don't want to find out I got the wrong one on the job site. LOL

Edit: v.) Thoughts on the linked vacuum, please?

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Matt - Thank you so much for taking a look at the items. A few points:

i.) Noted, and thank you for the heads up! I'll add the Hydro-Force, and maybe keep a pump up as a back up.

ii.) There are 2 version of the Westpak 6" wide (24" wide) and 10" wide (40" long), which do you recommend?

iii.) May be a dumb question, but can I not just rotate the whole wand if I go with the Westpak (or similar)? Or, will it be a hassle and cause issues, such as pressure hose binding?

iv.) Great catch on the carpet rake, and thank you for the heads up! Can you please link the brush you recommend? I don't want to find out I got the wrong one on the job site. LOL

Edit: v.) Thoughts on the linked vacuum, please?

Thanks again!!
If you can find a 40” long in this shape, you’ll like it. It’s my favorite length and shape out of all of them. I used them all and this one cleans the risers great too. Yes you can rotate it without pinching hoses.

I’ve owned every shape and length stair tool and this one is the most user friendly and your back isn’t wore out after using it.

It’s not the “s” shaped wand and that straight tube going to the 10” head is what makes is better to clean the risers, but you still need the curve at the handle to make the cleaning enjoyable for your back so you can stand up straight

here's the carpet groomer I mentioned

IMG_6251.jpeg

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
Well looks like you're going to get a bunch of different opinions

a rotovac or rx20 is great at cleaning and if you have and use one at every job quality will never be an issue but the drawbacks can be that they are slow and heavy and most guys don't want to use them. I would always follow with a wand after to help pull out more moisture and groom.

the same can be said about the crb I would bet a lot of guys have them and don't use them they sit in their truck and all they do is prespray and wand as fast as they can to get to the next job

Crb price is overkill but like many have said they are good at a lot of things I think for most situations prespray, crb and wand will do a great job I like the 15 inch crb the best the 10 is too small for me.

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Well looks like you're going to get a bunch of different opinions

a rotovac or rx20 is great at cleaning and if you have and use one at every job quality will never be an issue but the drawbacks can be that they are slow and heavy and most guys don't want to use them. I would always follow with a wand after to help pull out more moisture and groom.

the same can be said about the crb I would bet a lot of guys have them and don't use them they sit in their truck and all they do is prespray and wand as fast as they can to get to the next job

Crb price is overkill but like many have said they are good at a lot of things I think for most situations prespray, crb and wand will do a great job I like the 15 inch crb the best the 10 is too small for me.

Agreed, 10 is too small for me too. I’m looking for a 15” crb that is reliable. Any recommendations?

alexcarpets

Name
Alex
Reminder..
Mikey, I’ll be happy to do business with you. Can you please let me know which 15 CRB from your site you recommend? Looking for something that can do both carpet and tile.
I also watched the stair tool video and was hoping to get the link for the 40” tool with dual jets and glide.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Mikey, I’ll be happy to do business with you. Can you please let me know which 15 CRB from your site you recommend? Looking for something that can do both carpet and tile.
I also watched the stair tool video and was hoping to get the link for the 40” tool with dual jets and glide.

Thanks!!

Every new cleaner should have a 175 floor machine..

Scrubbing greasy carpet ( CRBs don't do much to grease, especially on commercial glue down

Scrubbing hard surface

Stripping coatings

Encap/ shampooing with a removable shampoo tank

Stone resurfacing when a weighted driver

Try and find one used locally or online

New they run around a $1000...

1.5 horse
1" head
90#-105# range

CRBs and OPs are lighter, and easier to use and train, but far costlier and not as versatile

I have all three, and carry the 10" and a OP all the time.

The 10" is the best choice for residential work, by far imo.
Works on stair cases, around furniture, can be carried in one hand and takes up less room in your vehicle, you'll want the stock blue, and softer white brushes

Keep in mind, the opinions I express are of a collective, and not just mine...

Reactions: alexcarpets

alexcarpets

Name
Alex

Scrubbing greasy carpet ( CRBs don't do much to grease, especially on commercial glue down

Scrubbing hard surface

Stripping coatings

1.5 horse
1" head
90#-105# range

CRBs and OPs are lighter, and easier to use and train, but far costlier and not as versatile

Works on stair cases, around furniture, can be carried in one hand and takes up less room in your vehicle, you'll want the stock blue, and softer white brushes

Great info! Thank you so much!! What is an OP?

Name
Swani

Scrubbing hard surface

Stripping coatings

1.5 horse
1" head
90#-105# range

I'm curious as to why you like the 10" better than 15". Is it only because of stairs? I've personally only used the 15", but my thinking was it would be faster than the 10" and is pretty easy to carry. Should I be looking at 10" for my next CRB?

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm curious as to why you like the 10" better than 15". Is it only because of stairs? I've personally only used the 15", but my thinking was it would be faster than the 10" and is pretty easy to carry. Should I be looking at 10" for my next CRB?

Keep in mind, I've used them all for extended periods

10, 15, 17 & 20..

The ten is fun and easy, and can get to where the others can't

Reactions: Living The Dream

alexcarpets

Name
Alex

For the hydro force sprayers, is there any that allow you to go easily from 8:1 to 4:1? What’s industry standard for not having to mix yourself? 4:1?

Mikey P

Administrator
Curious..

If there was a vocational school that used Zoom, a video library, and in person training and skill assessment that taught how to clean every type of floor and furnishing as well as business accumen, and helped you when apprentice programs and financing the 2 year education, what would you be willing to invest?

Ongoing education, community support, advanced skills training and discounts on equipment included..

Reactions: Living The Dream

Mikey P

Administrator
Tell ya what, buy a CRB from me and instead of the free Glide offer, Ill give you an hour of my time on the phone.

We can save you many headaches and many thousand$ of wasted time and dollars in an hour...

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Tell him a 10” crb is not too small if he’s doing residential. If he’s doing a lot of wide open commercial areas like me, then 17 is the ticket. Oh, tell him the 10 is awesome around chairs and furniture in commercial as well too🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Tell him a 10” crb is not too small if he’s doing residential. If he’s doing a lot lot of wide open commercial areas like me, then 15 is the ticket. Oh, tell him the 10 is awesome around chairs and furniture in commercial as well too🤷🏼‍♂️
If it's that large an area, I'm using a 17" brush or fiber pad under my 175 or OP to scrub in my pre-spray

Back
Top Bottom