CRI Seal of Approval, Five Years Later

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Since the test soil doesn't accurately represent real soil (non-water soluble, etc.), and there are several non-cleaning variables that can affect the XRF reading (migration of soil during cleaning, moisture present when readings taken, fiber placement, etc.), it seems that a manufacturer might be tempted to design an extractor and/or method to specifically produce great results during testing, irregardless of the results obtained during actual cleaning. How sad.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Debbie;

Here is a photo of the XRF gun from my ICS post in 2005:
tracerii.jpg

Let's see, that was five years ago that I was shocked to learn that the 28 PSI Rug Doctor Extractor had passed the testing.

Lee Stockwell was also miffed in the post by that approval.

The original video link of the XRF testing procedure is no longer valid.

Is it still on the CRI website ?

It did show the ASTM 6540 resoiling drum test.

Larry

Name
Deborah Lema
Larry Cobb said:
The original video link of the XRF testing procedure is no longer valid.

Is it still on the CRI website ?

Larry

If this link http://www.carpet-rug.org/media/SOA_XRF/SOA_XRF.wmv gives you trouble, try this page: http://www.carpet-rug.org/commercia...pproval-products/deep-cleaning-extractors.cfm and click on the video link near the bottom.

First they demonstrate the NASA gun (note how the metal sample they show is right up on the nose of it), and then later they show the other model (as in your picture) in the rig over the carpet.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Name
Deborah Lema
Ron Werner said:
...I noticed that the manufacturers were requiring SOA approved chem and equip AND CERTIFIED Firms to do the cleaning. So how does a Rug Dr even qualify even if it did pass the "test"?

A little off topic of the XRF gun.

It doesn't.

Tongue in cheek: But maybe that could change if Rug Doctor got homeowners to waive any Rug Doctor liability? Maybe then they could get written in to the warranties as well?

I remember with CR Mitchell told the IICRC about XRF in Florida at the certification counsel meeting. I think that was 2005. I knew then that it was all wrong. Is it not amazing that many IICRC instructors believe in XRF and that a pH 4 solution will always neutralize a pH 10 solution, and that Wools of New Zealand made a 4.5 to 8.5 rule? Please challenge these people when you hear these falsehoods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom