Customer didn't even realize their floor was dirty

Name
cameron demille
Most of the time, when someone requests to have their marble clean, it's not actually dirty. Most marbles are pretty dense and have a high surface tension, and won't really soil. Except Bottocino. This bastard marble will get filthy and it's a pain to refinish. It is often confused with Crema Marfil, which is very easy to work on and doesn't really soil much. They look very similar and in some cases can look the same, but they do not polish the same way. They are both Compact Limestones from Italy.

I went to this house to refinish their bathroom counter. When I mention the floor, the lady said "Oh it's dirty? I didn't know I had to clean it" Mother of God.

If I can do this without a truck mount, surely you guys can do it faster.

Because it was a tumbled finish, I didn't need to worry about etching or scratching. A tumbled finish is just marble tile that's put in a tumbler. It has a matte finish, with chiseled edges and some minor pitting in the surface. They just basically beat the hell out of it and sell it.

I used a 180 grit Malish brush, our honing powder and some Alkaline cleaner. I think I used Aquamix Heavy Duty Tile and Grout Cleaner. I did this probably 4 years ago or more.

Put the cleaner down and let it dwell to get the dirt. Throw the honing powder everywhere right before you scrub.

The cleaner gets the dirt, the 180 grit brush scrapes the grout and tile thoroughly, but not enough to damage anything, and the honing powder ensures a consistent, swirl free finish.

6vywKmt.jpg

UgoajDE.jpg

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Nice job. I like to lift a rug when available to show them the dirt. Most when that bad realize it but the film they just don't see. It's spread so evenly from mopping. I don't see much tumbled marble except as decorative inlays.

Gene

Reactions: Cameron DeMille
Name
cameron demille
Nice job. I like to lift a rug when available to show them the dirt. Most when that bad realize it but the film they just don't see. It's spread so evenly from mopping. I don't see much tumbled marble except as decorative inlays.

Gene

Yeah the rug thing always works. They never think to lift it, then when I show them they get disgusted with themselves. Then I like to sneakily reinforce the idea that they are filthy and should have the work done. I am never pushy, but if they're leaning, I don't have a problem giving them a little nudge.

Mikey P

Administrator
so the honing powder remains effective while "submersed" in the cleaning solution?

I've done the same by scrubbing in a O2 boosted alkaline with a 400 Monkey

Name
cameron demille
It's the 220, the Soft Cut we have on the site.

The honing powder is very heavy. if the solution dries up, you can re-wet it and continue to use it. It's much harder than the marble, so it doesn't break down. If you could contain all of it, you could theoretically start with a handful and do a 1000 square feet, but there is waste, some gets stuck in the pad, etc.

For flat and smooth surfaces, honestly the fiber pads are better to use these days. More finishes to choose from and no powder to clean up. But for rough and textures surfaces, honing powder is king, especially when used with grit brushes.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom