Customer wants me to bid on VCT floor strip/wax

G.C.S

Name
Stephanie Barber
What I have:
Insured/Licensed
Sqft Approximately 3,000
Supplies/Equipment/Pads, fyi the company wants to provide its own strip/wax
I plan on applying 6 coats and it was my experience from using this product previously that it dries fairly quick, I think the last time was around 30 minutes per coat. They order from Grainger, not sure of the name for the product tho.
Stain removal is extensive mainly in the break room however the buildup of dirt around all the baseboard and corners is thick. Just to let you know we did their other building and had a hard time getting the floor around the baseboard to look nice and clean. It appears whomever did the floors did not bother to strip it down to the bare essentials before applying new wax. I applied the baseboard stripper (aerosol) directly to the baseboard and stripper to the floor around the baseboard/corners, let set for a few and then I used a doodle bug and although it looked way better it still did not look as good as I would have liked it to so any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and I did get on hands and knees to use the razor knife but that really didn't do much good either.
I have (1) helper his hrly rate is$15 per hour and I estimate approximately 1 hr or less to move what little bit of furniture there is to move.
We will have to move 7 round tables and 21 chairs, coffee stand a few other items but nothing to heavy(x2) meaning there and back.
Estimating it to take us around 6-8 hrs to fully complete job
I live in Missouri and although I have come across a few calculators to help me with this I would like to hear what others in this profession would most likely charge for a job this size.

Basically I don't know where to set my sqft rate.

Any of you ever purchase the janitorial blue book? whats your thoughts on that?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Blue book is old news and not valid pricing wise for us.

I have some concerns where you used the baseboard stripper and it didn't emulsify whatever is on the floor.

What color is the vct? I ask because I want to know if it is colored(anything but white) if the area of the floor turned white or not. In other words did anything happen chemically and or to try and identify what is on the floor.

Did you attempt to strip the same areas more than once?

Or did you just throw stripper and hit it over and over with poor success?

Sometimes neglected floors need to be stripped more than once to get them back to a clean and wax ready state.

Do you have pictures?

You can call me 817-829-4708 tomorrow anytime.

Last edited:

G.C.S

Name
Stephanie Barber
Blue book is old news and not valid pricing wise for us.

I have some concerns where you used the baseboard stripper and it didn't emulsify whatever is on the floor.

What color is the vct? Off white with some specs of Brown. I ask because I want to know if it is colored(anything but white) if the area of the floor turned white or not. In other words did anything happen chemically and or to try and identify what is on the floor. The floor stripper worked well on the floor, it was the baseboards and corners we had difficulty with. I used the aerosol and when that didn't work I applied the stripper from the jug to the areas and that didn't even do the trick. Apparently they used the same product because we stripped/waxed the floors in the other building this weekend and it was just as bad and primarily around the baseboards and corners.

Did you attempt to strip the same areas more than once? yes

Or did you just throw stripper and hit it over and over with poor success? Yes

Sometimes neglected floors need to be stripped more than once to get them back to a clean and wax ready state.

Do you have pictures? Yes and I will upload them.

You can call me 817-829-4708 tomorrow anytime.
sorry just seen this

G.C.S

Name
Stephanie Barber

Attachments

• IMG_20151115_131339.jpg
    IMG_20151115_131339.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_20151115_131442.jpg
    IMG_20151115_131442.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_20151115_131413.jpg
    IMG_20151115_131413.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 370

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
That is bad and will need to be stripped multiple times to correct many years of subpar workmanship and or lack of maintanence.

All that trash and hair in the wax is very unprofessional.

G.C.S

Name
Stephanie Barber
Yes, that is my opinion as well. This is how it was when I took over and I know there is a way to provide this company with a better service but since I'm new to the floor care side of cleaning I don't know much about it and I'm just not a text book sorta gal...and believe me I have tried...I've searched all around KC and as fas as Springfield, mo for some hands on training and let me tell ya there is NO one that offers such a service, of course I do understand to a degree but nonetheless Imy more hands on type person, if I do it then I learn it.....a person that enjoys doing this sort of work could make a killing offering just the training needed to provide a quality service. This company doesn't seem to care all to much though however I'm thinking we are going to have to get them to understand this shouldn't be acceptable. I do not want to provide this sort of service, I want to do wayyyyy better, after all it's my business reputation at stake too.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Maybe its the years of doing this crap and the cynic in me..

1st, odds are you will never get it 100% right the 1st time, there are jobs that i have done 4-5 times until things look right.. there is a chemical bonding that goes on that makes it so the finish wont come off the floors as easy around the edges...part of life

2nd, i have never been a huge baseboard cleaner unless they are paying for it...1 it takes a helluva long time, 2 you can start making that baseboard bleed out (it is a rubber/plastic product and the chems we use break down those things) 3 you can make them look worse, and thus the customer unhappy....4 i am a floor guy not a wall/coving guy...thats just me

3rd you will find a very small % of people/companies will pay for what you the professional thinks needs done... hey if Lockhart has found those good for him. For me i am to busy working or looking for work then worrying about the few "big ones" i might reel in... adjust accordingly....if you have an area that will pay for it...then go for it. But dont be down troden when they are few and far between...

Like i said, maybe just the years have made me a realist

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mikey P

Administrator
Use the "New Posts" page as your home page on you PC and your phone and everything that happend since your last visit is right there waiting for you, assuming you stay logged in.

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/index.php?find-new/1209837/posts

or try our new app on your phone, especially if you like alerts.

http://mikeysboard.com/forum/index.php?threads/mikeysboard-android-app.280974/#post-4403148

Let compare the two options..

MB is like a library or really good old fashion book store.

FB is like a magazine stand.

Do you want ADD pop culture, flashing titties and look at me I'm special postings, or do you want easily found volumes of information, and the occasional man boob?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yes, that is my opinion as well. This is how it was when I took over and I know there is a way to provide this company with a better service but since I'm new to the floor care side of cleaning I don't know much about it and I'm just not a text book sorta gal...and believe me I have tried...I've searched all around KC and as fas as Springfield, mo for some hands on training and let me tell ya there is NO one that offers such a service, of course I do understand to a degree but nonetheless Imy more hands on type person, if I do it then I learn it.....a person that enjoys doing this sort of work could make a killing offering just the training needed to provide a quality service. This company doesn't seem to care all to much though however I'm thinking we are going to have to get them to understand this shouldn't be acceptable. I do not want to provide this sort of service, I want to do wayyyyy better, after all it's my business reputation at stake too.
I would think most Jan/San supply houses would help you if you buy the products from them. Have you checked with Purozone? I've seen them out in the field with product support at Fraternity & sorority houses.

Back
Top Bottom