Dark Day

Soxpac

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Well this just sucks. No whining, bitching or blaming from me. It seems I may have become a stat. I think I may have to shut down. I have done everything I know to do but can't stay afloat with the amount of work I have. I have return clients and reoccurring accounts but just not enough. My advertising budget is wiped out. I'm going to keep going for a bit just because I'm not a quitter but reality is kicking me in the boys. Any last ditch advice?

Connor

Name
Connor
Join a BNI?
Market to realtors?
ValPak?
Start a bulletin board?
Door hangers with a magnet and coupon helped me when I started out. Maybe you should try that if you can afford it.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
go after commercial work. print up at home a simple marketing piece and put it along with some biz cards into an envelope and hit the pavement. hit office parks.

do you live near a city? lots of business parks, but even in the suburbs there can be tons.

do you have a VLM machine? great for CGD and much easier to offer Free Demo's. oh yea, mention all over your marketing piece that you offer a Free Demo where you'll drive out and clean their worst area for free and give them a free quote at that time ... no obligation. get the D.M.'s name. call back and keep good notes.

that is the cheapest way to get new biz period.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Pick up a part-time job or full time and keep carpet cleaning biz part-time.

My first year still had a full-time job and 2nd year still worked 15 hours week. You need to take the day to day pressure off of making enough money to survive, starting a business is about the LONG TERM.
Cleaners fail because they are thinking in weeks/months instead of 3-5 years. Everyday we need to be "planting seeds" and laying the foundation for the future, which you cannot do in desperation.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
that is better than nothing (if you can't make up your own 1-3 page material with color photo's in it.)

then just do a biz card. dress the part, smile and be confident. have a binder and pen to take down info (biz name / number / D.M.'s name)

push the free demo if that is something you can do.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
B2B is a slow death you need residential. Offer your church members and friends and family a spring special. Offer referral gift cards ($10 Walmart cards work) for each booked and completed job. Dres in a new uniform and walk the neighborhood and hand out fliers personally. Make sure you have your solicitors license if your city requires it. Offer a free room to anyone that books on the spot. If you can't book Several thousand doing that then you need to look at what it is that your doing to turn people away. Maybe hire an sharp dressed young returned LDS missionary to go door to door (don't laugh it is what they have been doing for the last two years) if this still doesn't work then maybe it is time for you to get a job.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I was where you are at one point. Door hangers got me a bunch of work. I also got a part time job at UPS in the evenings. I was able to work during the day and make a little money at night. It wasn't a lot, but it put groceries on the table.
How is your internet presence? You don't need to pay a bunch of money to someone to do it for you. There is enough info here to get you going. If you have time (it sounds like you do) and are willing to do the work, then do it yourself.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
bfaaf591-2549-4598-b920-01b4b3c26679_zpsd0e13f84.jpg

Chris A

Name
Chris
if you can hold out a little longer maybe you'll get a nice spring cleaning boost and can get through the season? I'm noticing my busy season is takin its sweet time gettin here this year, for what it's worth.

ThaBeast

Name
Dave
Door to door B2B will work but it is a slow process. Key to success is good record keeping and setting up a route to revisit the same potentials every 28 days. This is applied in many different industries at varying intervals, 28 days is what seems to work in floor care. Be confident, offer to go heads up against their current cleaner and take the most soiled portion of the job. Offer demos and do the heaviest soiled traffic lane (half of it if you are really confident). Above all be personable. I split with a long time business associate--he made the evening news, I kept the entire book of business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I am not fully aware of your situation, but for quick steady money I would go after a few restaurant accts. go early 8 am and hit 4-5 every morning offering a free demo on the spot. It only takes a few to get some steady money rolling in. I would do anything and everything possible to hold out a while longer cuz spring fever is in the air! Hit neighborhoods daily and u will land a few jobs. Anything I can help u with feel free to call.don't forget the restaurant income will be there next winter when all else dries up!

pull out All The Stops! Before giving up!

Last edited:

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Would you guys go b2b handing out cards?
Absolutely. Try to get to the decision maker. Offer to clean an area of their choosing as a demo, 100 to 200 sq ft. They tend to choose a pretty nasty area. A great chance to make a good visual comparison.

If you don't have my articles on how to market when you have more time than money, send me an email. I will attach them to the reply. scottw@bridgewatercorp.net

spotman123

Name
Wayne foster
Pick up a part-time job or full time and keep carpet cleaning biz part-time.

My first year still had a full-time job and 2nd year still worked 15 hours week. You need to take the day to day pressure off of making enough money to survive, starting a business is about the LONG TERM.
Cleaners fail because they are thinking in weeks/months instead of 3-5 years. Everyday we need to be "planting seeds" and laying the foundation for the future, which you cannot do in desperation.
Excellent advice Shane. IMOIMO

Chris A

Name
Chris
Yeah no offense towards the rich dad poor dadders who say it is a sin to have a part time business I think one would make better decisions when the financial pressure isn't so extreme.

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
I am not fully aware of your situation, but for quick steady money I would go after a few restaurant accts. go early 8 am and hit 4-5 every morning offering a free demo on the spot. It only takes a few to get some steady money rolling in. I would do anything and everything possible to hold out a while longer cuz spring fever is in the air! Hit neighborhoods daily and u will land a few jobs. Anything I can help u with feel free to call.don't forget the restaurant income will be there next winter when all else dries up!

pull out All The Stops! Before giving up!

Billy
Is right go door to door to restaurants.

A few questions?

What type of equipment do you run? I hope you are not trying to use a buffer and call yourself a carpet cleaner.

What are your monthly costs? Do you know them? You need to have the number you are working to every month.

What over head costs can you cut and what is not negotiable.

How big is your customer list? #

Now lets talk targets to market to.

Realtors - do drop boxes. Wear a shirt and tie

Churches. Don't go in smelling like smoke

Doors hangers or mail box drops in the paper box.

Do not give away money in gift cards big mistake. Cash is king right now and you do not have any. Print up a business card that looks like gift cards. PM me and I will do one up you can send to got print and get severa l 1000's for a few bucks. I give these away for a $50 value in cleaning.

Get a part time job to take the pressure off this week. Get something you can do at night a few hours each week. Look at being a janitor most companies can't find good help and will hire you this week. Get a job in a restaurant on the weekends so you do not get in the way of working nights commercial and days for yourself.

Do you have mentor? This is not the time to go alone. You need someone you can tell all yours sins to and give you honest feedback. You might not like what you hear but listen.

I still have my full time job and we run 3 trucks. Give me a call if I can help.

Hope this helps.

Soxpac

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I do not have a mentor but Doc helps me sometimes. I have a porty, RV, 175 ect. I use good chems(mainly prochem)My overhead is relatively low ins, google ect. I am looking for som part to somewhat full time work . I appreciate straight forward talk.

Jimbo

Lots of good advice so far!

There is really no shame in having a job for a while...I like the get a part time job advice...Charlie worked at UPS...no doubt learning how far he could huck packages into a truck!...but I bet he got benefits with that part time job...2 of my 3 children worked at UPS for a while...package loaders...with benefits!

Mr Olsons' advice is spot on also...and I like the referral group BNI or LeTip club...if you can find one without a carpet cleaner...you would be the guy who gets the referrals...I had one 1/4 when I received 34 real job referrals in BNI...

Dan...you have a 'family owned business'...make sure you have a 8 1/2 by 11 picture of your family in your estimating book...and when folks ask about it...brag your family up a bit! EVERYONE loves helping a family out...might as well be your family!...And when you get the check on each job...pull out the picture again and make sure Mrs Holly Householder knows that your FAMILY would like to say thank you!

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom

Are you kidding me! Commercial will save this guy.

What give away $10 Wal-Mart cards? This guy has no money. Give away $50 in free cleaning cards.

Go door to door people find this threatening in this day and age. Hire people to do this? Again he has no money he is about to close.

The uniform is a good idea

Flyers might work if they look great.

Marketing is about knowing your audience.

Last edited:

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I owned a CC biz in Montana. I met my wife out there but she was visiting from Iowa. I moved to IA and sold the biz in MT for what I thought was a small fortune back then. I was able to buy a van and some equip, get a sharp looking image created, and do a little marketing. The money went fast. A year into it and we were really struggling. My wife was pregnant with my now 3 year old son. It was time for daddy to man up. I got a job working the 3rd shift as lead custodian at a community college. The job had great benefits, steady pay, vacation time...all the joys of having a state job. Biggest problem was, it was 67 miles from home. I pushed myself like crazy, mostly to show my wife I wasn't a complete Bozo. I would almost fall asleep on my way home every morning at 7am. I used to pull over for a while to nap so I'd make it home safe. Anyway, that state job was a big reason we were able to move about an hour east where business is much better. We never gave up on it and are still pushing it today. I left the full time job almost a year ago and 2012 turned out to be our best year yet. Get to know electronic marketing. If you have the time to do it, you can do it yourself. Get a good website, Google Places and Pay Per Click were an immediate boost for us. I HATE cold sales but I'm a good cleaner with integrity who's good with people. Know your strengths and weaknesses. Be honest with yourself. Know your competition. Be willing to change, adapt, learn, grow...Have faith.

Russ Terhaar
The Clean Machine of Iowa LLC
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

Reactions: Derek

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
well said Russ. nice website you have to.

Back
Top Bottom