Day in the life of 2 Butlers with Saiger's Steam Clean

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I'm not thinking I'd want to go with the 2.5 inch set up. I don't like wrestling that anaconda all day and you can only get 150 of hose on a Butler reel as it is. If you put 2.5 inch on it, you then have to hang 2 sections of 2 inch on a wall somewhere. No thanks.

Now, if you have some secret about how to get that much heat, then I'm all ears.

How am I going to be able to carry a vacuum, a 175, a rotary extractor, a medium water claw, a rotary tile tool and a tile edging wand on that thing if I take up half the minuscule space available with two sections of 2 inch hose?

Piece of cake :)

Throw it in....stand back and slam the door quick....LOL!

Seriously should not be problem.

The heat is not a problem either.

2013-05-16115316_zps212adba3.jpg

If don't want the 2.5 inch hose, still consider getting the reel that is longer for 2.5 inch (if it isn't standard) Will hold more 2 inch yet.

Keeping the heat is just making sure the pop off on the tank is correct. We just take out the cotter pin and adjust as needed and add a locking nut to the top. (By the way...it is 9:35 pm and I did get out of my easy chair and went and took these pics for you....I am here for you)

2014-09-12213135_zps3b3db0ac.jpg

2014-09-12213128_zps807b63fa.jpg

Still no problems with heat....even from get go. I am running 12 flow and burning the crap out of me daily

If none of this works, we will send our Grandson....and a broom. They both clean very well....LOL!

2013-12-25115425_zps4054a1cb.jpg
[/URL]

He can even handle a wand if you need.... :)

Seriously if you have questions and I know you are making a big investment, get ahold of me! Will do my best to help out :)

2014-03-14160929_zpse587b75c.jpg

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Dam right you are! I appreciate the post and photos, Mark. Anything showing how others work/set up/order of things done/price etc. is very helpful.

Are you running estimates? Pricing over phone? Do they get a per/sqft from call?

We mainly do a lot of over the phone "Guestimates". We tell them we charge .38 cents per square foot, $2.80. per step.

This is some of the Speil we give them over the phone

We will tell them that Living Rooms can average between $68-98, if you have a LR-DR combo, it is going to be on the higher side and maybe around $125

Halls $12-20 (and can go higher)

Bedroom open areas (walking paths)$28-38 but sometimes we have seen Master suite open areas be as big as a Living Room

If they are having and entire Bedroom Done, can be as much as a small living room and maybe more.

Furniture we have average prices we can give them too.

We tell them, we have no extra fees for spot and stain removal (if there are pet situations, there can be a fee for certain treatments, and sometimes we recommend replacement)

We do not charge mileage (but are making sure in certain areas we have a minimum that will cover us).

We will move your furniture such as couches and chairs and clean under them. We typically do not move entertainment centers as we would need a five year old to help us hook up all the wires again :)

We rarely have to do an out in the field estimate....but sometimes, we get a sense that the job could be very large, and we will make an appointment to go out and see the place. We try to do that the same day they call so we secure the job. Usually that will be between jobs during the day, later afternoon-evening, or even an early morning appointment.

I have a very raw script that we follow (I had someone ask me for it so I did write it down).

If someone wants that phone script, just send me a pm with your email, and I will get that out.

I want to also say here, some of things I have learned have been over time, but also from learning from others on these forums as well.

We just take someone's ideas and modify it to fit our model....or even make it a goal to shape ourselves to that type of improvement.

I hope by sharing that this will happen for others!

Best wishes and continued success everyone!

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Hello Mark,

What's your job average?

Are your jobs sold over the phone, your wife, or do you do estimate to do on new customers?

3 weeks out,2 trucks, only 2 techs, no helpers.... I would be getting me some helpers and doubling your gross.

Although you have that winter thing I don't have ....

Thanks for sharing

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
The same day as this post, we did receive a call asking us to come clean a new move in for a 4000 sq foot house on a lake about 45 minutes away....

I gave them the same spiel and also said....that is a pretty large place....

Shot them some prices, asked if they wanted this Saturday (we usually take off the weekends)....and they said "Yes Please" :biggrin:

Asked what time is best for them, they indicated they could be there by 8 am, I asked how does 10 am sound....and said..."even better"!

2 vans are going out to make good money on an empty....no mileage fee was also big as well as they had seen us on the internet and our Facebook.

KaChing!!!

I imagine should be quite a view....

Will try and get pics to share here!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Hello Mark,

What's your job average?

Are your jobs sold over the phone, your wife, or do you do estimate to do on new customers?

3 weeks out,2 trucks, only 2 techs, no helpers.... I would be getting me some helpers and doubling your gross.

Although you have that winter thing I don't have ....

Thanks for sharing

Hi Carl,

I bet my post came up after you posted...some of this info is just above your post.

As job averages, we have been fluctuating again, but around $200-$300 right now. Our averages have been getting blown out of the water with some crazy big jobs, so I have not had the opportunity to run that average in a few months.

My wife has been answering the phones a lot lately (thankfully) and I also answer phones as needed.

We use QuickBooks and Google Calendar so we can book anywhere we are, as well as transfer phones to where ever we need (cell phones, ect...)

The dang winters are always the killer for us, and you can have people standing around that you pay to do very little.

We are very particular about who we hire, and that is known in our community.

We really think we are going to have to hire another helper for this coming year if it remains this crazy.

Again, if anyone interested, I can email our phone script that has worked for us....just send me a PM

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Mark what kind of steamer are you using for red stains? How long does it take to warm up? You ever get color loss when steaming them?

Golden Boy

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark what kind of steamer are you using for red stains? How long does it take to warm up? You ever get color loss when steaming them?

Golden Boy

Hey Waldo,

It is a Black & Decker Wall paper steamer I got off ebay.

This model is not made anymore, but I know Larry Cobb has the same unit (maybe different color) on his website.

I actually really like the unit because you can basically set it there and keep working on other things without worrying about it.

I have not had a color loss with it yet, but not saying it can't happen I would guess. As we both know, red stain removal can have it's color loss risk. I have had color loss with Iron transfer and wet rag in my past....

Here is Cobbs unit. I am actually going to pick up one of these for the other van and probably a couple of his spendy UV lights for urine....don't care the price if they work, and I have heard the do work :)

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=5025

Able 1

Name
Keith
I'll be interested in what you find.. Though we both know 3 guys two trucks is the sweet spot. Working without a helper is a waste of time PITA! Not that it matters with those invoice sizes! Do you guys at least pull each others hose? lol Good work though!

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
hows the wife after Vegas?

She is doing quite well actually :)

We had an overnite guest (2 year old one and only grandson) so she is in heaven right now. (not much sleep with a 2 year old that wants to party all night because at grandpa and grandmas for an overnite, even though we have him here most days)

She is feeling physically better each day yet, but I have to tell her to be careful at times yet....just can't not lift that grandson (she is still limited on weight lift restrictions). Those little arms come out to be lifted and those eyes....you cannot resist!

But life has been good....busy....but good :)

Hope all well with you too.

Heading to the lake with my new set of waders and gonna get the pontoon, PWC's, docks and lifts out of the lake here soon....BRRrrrrrrrr......

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Can you tell me what here job description is at Saigers Steam Clean?

If you can keep up to or out work the owner.....you get to stay :)

Simple job description....LOL!

We really don't advertise for workers, we search for them and then invite them to try it.

Our fire crew was on invite only and from those fire crew workers. They were responsible for side by side training.

If the worker didn't pan out, the person that brought them on would usually apologize and that said worker would be thanked, paid, and they usually didn't want to come back....LOL

For the carpet cleaning, pretty much the same way. We tell them it can be hard work, we are trusted in peoples homes and we want to make sure the clients know how much we appreciate the opportunity to be of service and how much we value their homes too.

For an actual job description, we have never had to advertise, so I really don't have anything written down.....sorry

Probably a good thing to get on someday, but we have not been in a position we haven't been able to work with anyone and make it work between both parties. (lucky if have to say)

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
I so missed the "her" part of that....went right over my head honestly...

So my wife says she does the following :)

Balance the books

Prepare work orders

Answer phones and do bookings to take that stress off of me

File completed work orders

Pay Bills

Helps out in the field if needed (yes she can run a Butler with High heat, and 2.5 inch hose....and not complain Marty....LOL...had to get my shot in :) )

Protect me from solicitors

In charge of the Business employee day care (babysits our grandson :) )

Keeps track of employee time cards

Prepares time sheets for our accountant which we do payroll on the 1st and 15th of each month.

Errands to the bank and others (deposits) Mail, pick up and drop off

Meet people who might drop of area rugs or such

Set's up appointments for me such as Yellow Book meetings or such

Runs us parts or similar if we need from the shop

Took care of an order situation with Jondon the other day (and things such as this)

I forgot to return a key the other day to a front desk drop off at a townhouse 30 minutes away (so she picks up after me....LOL!)

Scolds me when I spend too much....this is daily....Really tries to keep me on target, because I would have bought one of everything at Vegas!!!

Makes sure I have clean underwear everyday :eekk: ....unless she is mad at me :rockon::smile:

And she makes sure I have clean Blue shirts (which she hates....LOL) everyday. Nothing like loving a man in a blue bowling shirt and blue shoes everyday! :rockon::biggrin:

And she probably does a lot more besides putting up with me....but this was all I dare list with her over my shoulder with a frying pan......oh wait she doesn't cook :stir:

OUCH!!!

Got to go now....going out to eat....LOL! :razz:

(actually pretty lucky guy) :headbang:

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Mark, I can't believe you use 2 trucks on so many jobs. I think I could show you guys how to be more efficient with one truck and only double when you have several pieces of furniture. And I mean double off 1 truck.But you must use a cordless sprayer. No hydroforce. I realize you're charging big bucks to cover everything but I could show you how to do it with 1 truck.

Able 1

Name
Keith
Mark lost me when he gave up his helper.. Two trucks, three guys is the way to go! Though, I think he knows this..

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Mark lost me when he gave up his helper.. Two trucks, three guys is the way to go! Though, I think he knows this..

Will see this coming Spring who we can find that fits our model of business and quality.

Right now, I am getting things in order for the new year and hope to find someone of quality that want's to work, be personable, and come to work looking good.

If this winter stays as mild as it has, I am hopeful we might have a great Spring start and make some good money again!

2 vans and 3 guys is the goal again.

Reactions: Able 1

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom