Di-Chlor Drama with its use in a Centrum Force® Wash Tub

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Some people have made big drama about use of Di-Chlor in water when washing and processing some rugs. The use of it is no secret with some Centrum Force® Starr Wash Tub users and other rug wash operators when processing rugs.

In the past, for personal benefit, a couple of us wash tub users tested its use for its effectiveness in preventing cross contamination with rugs that we were washing at the same time. We were pleased with the findings.

Now we wanted to know if the dilution used damaged the textile. The following is how we set up the more recent test:

General Procedure

A sample of cleaning compound “Di-Chlor II” commonly used on water treatment of recreation and sport facility pools and hot tubs was tested to determine is safe to use on floor covering textiles containing natural wool fibers with any long term affect. Three samples were prepare using different dilutions of the Di-Chlor II along with an untreated control sample and subjected to an accelerated sunlight exposure along with an accelerated heat aging process. The three dilutions were 6oz/1200gl (as use by wash tub users), 12oz/1200gl, and undiluted concentrate powder.

Does anyone really care about the Findings and Conclusions?

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Definitely interested.
Were the three samples wool from rugs or exactly what did the test samples consist of?
Were the sample fibers dyed? if so, what type of dyes were used?
Also wondering about exposure to a dry powder. Was poder just sprinkled on a fiber or how was sample exposed to dry powder?

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
You can't just lead us on like that : )

Of course we want the results.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
For fun, one recent experiment was conducted with the following piece:

Axminster 36 oz Commercial Cut Pile

Multi-Color

80/20 Wool

It was subjected to multiple washes. Dried each time in between a wash cycle at 140 degrees for 72 hours.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
140 degrees! What did they do put them in a Toaster!

The wet test specimens were place in an air circulating oven and incubated for 72 hours at 140 degrees Fahrenheit at 98% relative humidity. Then the test samples were removed from the oven and placed in a controlled room at 70 degrees Fahrenheit at 50% relative humidity for 24 hours. After that, the samples were then evaluated for any adverse affect, and the results were rated and recorded.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
The process was repeated 4 times with the same specimens. Including the elevated heat each time as well.

High intensity light was used between wash cycles. AATCC 16E Colorfastness to Light (Xenon Arc) The AATCC Gray Rating Scale was used to measure affects. By the end of the cycle 4, 160 AFU was used. The Lab report stated that is "Approximately 0.5 years of South Fla. Sun exposure."

Result: NO impact on the wool samples when product was diluted in water as described in the test procedures. Absolutely NO adverse affects were found to the wool using the wash tub dilution as suggested, much less hiking it twice the amount normally used!

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
The process was repeated 4 times with the same specimens. Including the elevated heat each time as well.

High intensity light was used between wash cycles. AATCC 16E Colorfastness to Light (Xenon Arc) The AATCC Gray Rating Scale was used to measure affects. By the end of the cycle 4, 160 AFU was used. The Lab report stated that is "Approximately 0.5 years of South Fla. Sun exposure."

Result: NO impact on the wool samples when product was diluted in water as described in the test procedures. Absolutely NO adverse affects were found to the wool using the wash tub dilution as suggested, much less hiking it twice the amount normally used!

As a reminder, the reason Di-Chlor use became of interest to me and others, was from the result of another test we did years earlier. It was about establishing our company protocol for handling rugs in our shop that were contaminated either knowingly or otherwise. Some of what we did was contained in another post here on the forum. We decidedly chose to have science disclose the findings, not otherwise. I contracted Michael Pinto (Wonder Makers Environmental http://www.wondermakers.com//) for our project to develop and implement testing protocol to evaluate effectiveness of bacterial reduction. In the process and testing, we found the low amounts of Di-Chlor we used in dilution during the wash provided satisfactory results.

Here is the link: http://mikeysboard.com/forum/showthread.php?263003-Rug-Wash-Tubs&highlight=pinto

After this personal test, another cleaner did one similarly with added elements to explore such as heat drying. They had great results. Robert Pettyjohn is the guy that did the test and is passionate about the results he achieved.

Then earlier this year, Joe Gabel (another rug washer), started a study using a binocular microscope with an USB camera to document any possible changes to wool over repeated washes with Di-Chlor present in the water at the dilution levels already discussed. He has repeatedly washed the same hand woven specimen and compared it to the original donor rug that was unwashed and found NO measurable degradation to the wool as of Rug Summit 7. He is still washing the same specimen months later and documenting the data. It should prove interesting.

Last edited:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Were the samples tested for long term effect not limited to the effect on dyes?

Such as: Did the treated wool become more fragile, loss of resiliency and matting. Strength of staple fiber. Loss of natural repellency and higher susceptibility to accepting dye stains. Damage to cotton foundation and increased or premature fragility?

Last edited:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Were the samples tested for long term effect not limited to the effect on dyes?

Such as: Did the treated wool become more fragile, loss of resiliency and matting. Strength of staple fiber. Loss of natural repellency and higher susceptibility to accepting dye stains. Damage to cotton foundation and increased or premature fragility?

One test I commisioned involved using an independent lab, Wonder Makers Environmental. It's aim was to observe di-chlor's use for its effectiveness in preventing cross contamination with rugs that we were washing at the same time. (One of specimen was contaminated by raw sewage for 7 days and then washed with a brand new uncontaminated specimen)

Robert Pettyjohn had a test done by the same independent lab. His objective was to observe the health condition of a rug processed through its various phases of a protocol he determined for the experiment. He used a rug that had been subjected to raw sewage too. Di-chlor was only one element that was introduced in the procedures that he used.

Another test recently was done by an independent lab that is familiar with textiles and chemistry. The nature of the test was to observe the appearance of the wool strands/yarns in the specimen when repeatedly washed in a dilution of water and di-chlor as described previously.

As you can see, these 3 tests didn't cover everything you asked about.

Reactions: ruff

Nathan544

Name
Nathan Koets
So if I understand all of this correctly, using your procedures alone (some disclosed, others undisclosed) was enough to prevent cross-contamination, but high heat for an extended time was required to fully decontaminate a rug. Fair enough. Dr. Pinto is a completely thorough guy, the best in the business. We use him for all our testing as well.
I was talking with Lisa Wagner, and she & I agree that all of these attacks are just ridiculous. We are all professionals trying to do the best job we can, as safely as we can. While I choose not to use Dichlor on wool, I do use it on nasty olefin rugs. It is just another tool in the toolbox, one that like many others, can be used carefully or carelessly. I would urge you to publicly release all of the testing, to once and for all silence the divisive voice(s) who want to fracture the rug washing world... Peace!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
While I choose not to use Dichlor on wool, I do use it on nasty olefin rugs. It is just another tool in the toolbox, one that like many others, can be used carefully or carelessly. I would urge you to publicly release all of the testing, to once and for all silence the divisive voice(s) who want to fracture the rug washing world... Peace!

Nathan;

What do you use to reduce biological contamination on contaminated wool ??

An oxidizer . . . or an antimicrobial . . .

Larry

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Hello Tom, may I ask how do you rinse your rugs after they come out of the wash tub?

Good question! I flush them out with clean water while our centrifuge spins the rug. (Most centrifuge users I know do the same thing)

Note: It mimics the rinse/spin cycle on the common household clothes washing machine.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Anyway, I care lets hear it !

My short answer:

Because of the minimal amount of Di-Chlor used in the tub, it has NO measurable adverse effect to the wool. Hence, Di-Chlor produces desirable results for maintaining the water during washing of soiled textiles in a wash tub environment.

The reason why is developed better on the other thread entitled, "Washing Wool - Shall we talk chemistry and reality?"

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
140 degrees! What did they do put them in a Toaster!

Is that really that hot. I can't find a thermometer that goes high enough to show the temp in my drying room. I know you can't touch anything wood or metal in the room after the heat has been on for awhile. Is that damaging to the wool?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Many dry rooms are set at 140F and people that have gone from lower to higher tempratures say rugs dry with a softer hand and with far less browning issues. Remember that the rug isn't going to reach 140F until it's dry, as heat is carried away with the moisture.

I've been told that dry rooms aren't set higher only because if browning does occur, temps over 150F can make it more difficult to remove.

Reactions: KevinL

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Starting the paperwork:

100_3854_zps2b50ccdf.jpg

100_3853_zps8149b922.jpg

Getting really serious:

100_3855_zpsaba3169d.jpg

It was fun working with Michael Pinto on the project. I had to get dolled up too for the environment we had to deal with.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom