Diamond polishing marble thats been compromised by crystalisation

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I have a diamond polishing job lined up but it has been compromised through the use of crystalisation In the past. Is their any suggestion as to the best way to handle this ? It is very rough and dull. Surface almost feels like a rough sand paper.

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I'm going to guess that John will be along to tell us the Trinity could fix it with just a Tuway pad and some playground sand.

LOL I am doing research on it and do understand it but would like some input from the few guys on this board that have dealt with this. I am sure that their are many different approaches but do not know. It can be a high risk job due to the damage that the acids have caused. Dr. Fred Houston on youtube said he did a floor like this and the marble literally crumbled under the machine.

Last edited:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yea i havent done any with that issue...but in chatting with guys over the years.....you need to start pretty low in the #s to cut it

where??? well thats going to be up to you.....as always start save test an area, and work back to nasty...

which is why i always hated when people where all so excited to see the time and what not that crystalization crap does....

in the end its just bad.... but hey they aint there to get the blame

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Dr. Fred Houston on youtube said he did a floor like this and the marble literally crumbled under the machine.

WTF was a doctor doing scrubbing floors? Has Obamacare come to this?

John G

[video=youtube;O9ow-oTyMOk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9ow-oTyMOk[/video]
Fred Heuston is the Doctor of stone... THE manh who knows stone like no other, he also supports TRS equipment for doing natural stone grinding and polishing...

Reactions: Mardie

FredC

Village Idiot
I'm going to guess that John will be along to tell us the Trinity could fix it with just a Tuway pad and some playground sand.

Its almost like you're a prophet or something...you even guessed the exact video he would post :eekk:

but you missed the "I'm just replying to Mike's smart ass comments" angle he would use to drop it.

Reactions: Luis Gomez

FredC

Village Idiot
Pretty sure that is what I said :oldrolleyes:......................RIF

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
uhhhhh i would take RIcky Gs brother David, any day of the week when it comes to stone floors....

he just plain knows his shit

Reactions: Jeremy N

John G

Most likely starting at #2 Cheetah pads will do it, however, if it is horribly rough, start with the #1 Cheetah pads.

Name
cameron demille
Does a video exist that shows these pads being used on a realistic floor, with lippage, from start to finish, with no editing, no additional products? I'm tired of seeing these demo floors that have been ground perfectly flat, it doesn't represent an actual floor. You have to deal with lippage on just about every floor, and leaving dull edges isn't going to cut it. I'm not hating, I'm asking a serious question that has been dismissed for years.

Reactions: Art Kelley

John G

Not dismissed by me though.. yes I have vids on Youtube.. no editing, sorry, ain't going to upload long 1028 HD vids with my connection, however have done several and am always willing to SHOW it when in the area.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Not to offend anyone...but that "interview" was absolutely painful to watch...

Stupid questions and repeated stupid questions...and not allowing the the guy to give his answers/explanation..

Edit: talking about the video uncle Rich posted.

Last edited:

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
Does a video exist that shows these pads being used on a realistic floor, with lippage, from start to finish, with no editing, no additional products? I'm tired of seeing these demo floors that have been ground perfectly flat, it doesn't represent an actual floor. You have to deal with lippage on just about every floor, and leaving dull edges isn't going to cut it. I'm not hating, I'm asking a serious question that has been dismissed for years.

No it doesn't Cameron The reality of the situation is I have met nobody, NOBODY! that has had success with those pads. In fact, I get panic calls from guys all over the country trying to get out of a bad situation. A situation the pads put them in. I'm sure you and Ted get the same type of calls.

Reactions: Mikey P

Rob Fairfield

Supportive Member
Name
Rob Fairfield
Not to offend anyone...but that "interview" was absolutely painful to watch...

Stupid questions and repeated stupid questions...and not allowing the the guy to give his answers/explanation..

Edit: talking about the video uncle Rich posted.

I agree! None of it makes since. Is there any documentation to back up anything that is said? If so, where.

The fact is too much of anything results in damage. I have seen many floors that are powder polished to the point of no restoration.

It is no secret that in most cases powders produce more color and clarity. Crystallizer offers slip resistance and scratch resistance. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Both have their place in the industry. And both are here to stay. The method you choose should depend on setting (residential or commercial), your customer expectations and what you are being paid. The bottom line is, if you only have one of these processes in your arsenal you loose at least 30% of a possible customer base.

John G

Is there EVER anything truthful and serious on this bbs? Seriously>

Don't worry, many are going to be shown over the next month, you will hear about it....LOL

Name
cameron demille
Mardie, using the same argument that the pad guys like to use; If you can use a floor machine, you can use diamonds. There is no more risk using resin diamonds to refinish a floor than there is using synthetic pads. I RARELY use anything below 220 unless I am grinding or doing spot repairs. typically it will be 220-1800 and sometimes 3500 if it's limestone or something problematic. Then you finish with a compound.

The fact is, as we sit here today, there is not a more efficient system to deliver the same results as resin diamond pads and polishing powder. The synthetic pads are a great alternative when a situation arises where they can be used. I still don't believe they work as advertised in the real world. I do believe they are a hug step in the direction of what will inevitably be the next evolutionary leap in our industry. With that being said, how much faster can you honestly sand a rock?

Please don't be afraid to try resin diamonds. They are a lot less expensive and work as fast or faster than the synthetic pads. 20% less in cost for a set of resin diamonds and a bucket of polishing powder.

Name
cameron demille
Is there EVER anything truthful and serious on this bbs? Seriously>

Don't worry, many are going to be shown over the next month, you will hear about it....LOL

I've been hearing this same BS for years. "You'll see" When?

The comparison data provided is absurdity. It's deliberately misleading.

1. Resin diamonds and powder are cheaper
2. resin diamond work faster
3. resin diamonds last longer
4. resin diamonds are as easy to get the hang of.
5. resin diamonds use the same equipment

I'm not condemning the synthetic pads, it's just absolutely misleading and horrible information being presented.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom