Does wool need to be "re- conditioned" after cleaning

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If I got it right, the Artisan owner said that they "re-condition" the wool after cleaning.
My assumption is that it is something that re-applies the lanolin (protects the amino acids?), a conditioner of sorts.

1. Does wool need to be re-conditioned after cleaning.
  2. Is something essential to the longevity of wool being removed (even with mild "WoolSafe" products) that needs to be reapplied.
  3. If yes, what is it that is being removed?
  4. What product (or what is it) that you reapply?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Does wool need to be re-conditioned after cleaning.
Nope.
Is something essential to the longevity of wool being removed (even with mild "WoolSafe" products) that needs to be reapplied.
Nope.
What product (or what is it) that you reapply?
Don't know what Artisan is adding, if they didn't say they may consider it a trade secret. It may just be an acid to neutralize any remaining alkaline cleaning detergent or give the wool a nice shine.

There is a common myth that lanolin is removed during cleaning and must be replenished. There are plenty of rug books that mention cleaning in a way that won't remove lanolin, which just proves the author is quoting bad information from other books.

Unless the wool is going to be used for gloves or fisherman's sweaters, wool is scoured to remove greasy oils (lanolin) because it will make the fiber difficult to dye, will attract soil, and the oils can oxidize to yellow or cause odor. If lanolin remains after scouring, not much is going to remain after the boiling acid dye process. Often old-time cleaners will claim that the use of "coconut oil soap" will "replenish natural oils" and make the wool feel silky. The wool will feel silky, but soaps or added "oils" will attract soil.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Bryan is spot on as usual.

The conditioner often used is comparable to the least expensive hair products found in the marketplace. (It's on the acid side of the ph scale)

As Bryan said, "It may just be an acid to neutralize any remaining alkaline cleaning detergent or give the wool a nice shine."

Many rug plants implement this procedure in caring for their client's rugs.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
These two blokes are correct (as usual), as any Wools of New Zealand or Woolsafe technician knows.

I believe that Artisan is trying to "pull the wool over others eyes" in this regards.

As has been stated, an acid rinse will help neutralize any alkalinities and give a nicer lustre or shine, to a degree.

Any added oils WILL attract soils more readily.

We apparently have less RG in the wools down under than you guys have up top over there.

http://www.sgs.co.nz/~/media/Local/...sidual-Grease-on-Scoured-Wool-A4-EN-11-V1.pdf

:yoda:

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thanks everybody that's very helpful.

Just to correct the issue, Shorty, that was my understanding of what Artisan's owner said. I am sure he is not "trying to 'pull the wool over others eyes."

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Ofer quit antagonizing the herd would ya : )

Jus use Aussie conditioner, comes in da purple bottles at wally world!

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Yep, Re-applying lanolin makes a rug dirty faster and smell funky. This was a common treatment of mid century turkish rugs
they come in looking grey when they are washed the water looks kind of milky.

Back to the original poster question there are wool is always changing it's a complex structure but there's nothing you can
put on it to make it new or whole again.

Reactions: ruff and J Scott W

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Ofer quit antagonizing the herd would ya : )

Jus use Aussie conditioner, comes in da purple bottles at wally world!

Done a search and can't find either down under.

Can you send a box down please, you know where to get it. :winky: :icon_razz:

:very_drunk:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Well I'll be doggone damned............. :eekk:

Aha, no wonder, it's made in the 'states by Proctor & Gambol.

Never, ever heard of it before.

Sneaky devils.

I wonder if it'll do any good for my chrome dome.???

:yoda:

Name
Nate W.
Yep, Re-applying lanolin makes a rug dirty faster and smell funky. This was a common treatment of mid century turkish rugs
they come in looking grey when they are washed the water looks kind of milky.

Back to the original poster question there are wool is always changing it's a complex structure but there's nothing you can
put on it to make it new or whole again.

I've heard people's opinion of the Barry Oconnell... but my question is this....

What's your thoughts of the Barry Juice from Chem Max? http://dev.chemmax.com/popup_image.php?pID=102&osCsid=u2jkvju6dv1aaomons80ebdju7

I respect Paul Lucas of Chem Max and been using his Ultra-Dry from the early 90's.....

knoxclean

Supportive Member
Name
David Gargan
Barry juice is for old rugs that are damaged or dried out. I have used it a few time but found it very oily. I ended up rinsing it out because I was afraid it would attract soil. Others have had great success with it restoring antique rugs

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I've heard people's opinion of the Barry Oconnell... but my question is this....

What's your thoughts of the Barry Juice from Chem Max? http://dev.chemmax.com/popup_image.php?pID=102&osCsid=u2jkvju6dv1aaomons80ebdju7

I respect Paul Lucas of Chem Max and been using his Ultra-Dry from the early 90's.....

I've never used paul's product, I don't know even know what's in it so I can't comment on it specifically?
One can use product's to make wool look, feel better or look brighter and shinier. From a purely technical standpoint
you can't take old damaged wool and pour something on it and repair it on a molecular level it just doesn't work that way.

Reactions: Nate The Great

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom