Does your tile cleaning charge go up as the tile size gets smaller?

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
Or do you charge the same no matter what the size of the tile is? 12" tile has a whole lot more grout lines than does 20" tile. Seems like more work would call for higher costs but when I've seen pricing mentioned here no one mentions a sliding scale for pricing.

Kevin B

Name
Kevin Bunce
I would charge more if tile was smaller like in a commercial setting. I charge plenty for 12 inch, and let the 18s make me easier money.

Reactions: Barry-QDCC

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Or do you charge the same no matter what the size of the tile is? 12" tile has a whole lot more grout lines than does 20" tile. Seems like more work would call for higher costs but when I've seen pricing mentioned here no one mentions a sliding scale for pricing.

Right now we do not, many variables factor into the job. Tricky landscaping can add another 20 minutes to the job for example. Like to give us some margin of error for the little stuff.
The really small chicklet types in commercial restrooms are easier, IMO. Just spray and squeegee the sealer.

Color seal would be different.

Barry-QDCC

Supportive Member
Name
Barry Rhoads
It kind of goes without saying..

Less grout, less $$

Well that's what I was thinking too.

But any posting that I've ever seen here where someone posted their prices I've never seen anyone mentioned the price chages as size goes up or down. I started thinking maybe my price thinking was off. :hopeless:

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I assume you're not cleaning w/ a spinner?

If you have a spinner w/ the right psi, it shouldn't matter the size of the tile, most t/g guys do not scrub every single grout line, let the chem dwell, than clean, now if you have to clean every inch of an 1x1 w/ a grout brush than price higher.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
When cleaning tile and grout I am cleaning the tile and grout. Square footage is charged regardless of density of grout lines.

Sealing and color sealing grout is where the charge should be essentially based on lineal footage of grout lines.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
For me anyway, the sliding scale is more related to total sqr ft of the job then linear feet of grout. You gain production on larger jobs because the set up time is pretty much the same weather 200 sqr ft or 2000.

The other big variable is density of space, you can move super fast on 1000 sqr ft wide open but 300 ft of small rooms with lots of corners can take forever.
Good question but not the one that really matters, imo.

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I charge the same sf price for 12" and 18" tiles. I use the same amount of cleaning product and labor to get both clean.

Beeks

Name
J.R.
no extra charge for t/g, like was previously stated tile spinner does all the work for you if you let chem dwell long enough, maybe a little elbow grease here or there.. sealant price varies on tile size

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
We charge up to a quarter more per square for the chiclet like tile. It used to be labor intensive until we started using crb to scrubb the grout lines and we just keep the up charge for all of the difficult areas of the floor we encounter.

todg

Name
Michael Marcus
Nope...Same price, same smile. I heard of people charging more for everything like, sealers, polishing, taping, portables, dryers, as owner/operator, I bunch it all together as 1 price...

Weebco

Name
Gary Wiebe
I got a little depressed when the customer tells me for a quote two bathrooms upstairs laundry room downstairs hundred feet from the nearest entry point. I have to charge more for all the small little rooms all separated from one another

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom