Double Sided Adhesive Mess

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I have this commercial carpet .. the guy put double sided sticky tape on pretty much the whole 5x7 mat that has made a huge mess. He said it damn near pulls his socks off when he walks over it. I spent about an hour trying to remove it and probably removed 90% using all of my products on board.

Im going back to remove the rest and Im looking for the best product that will quickly disolve and remove it. I used a quart sprayer to apply everything that I had. Ive been told to use gel products and I want to but the area 5x7 is too large to gel.

Can the gel product be diluted enough to spray down through a quart sprayer or would it compromise the effect of the product? Maybe I'll pour the product into a painters pan and use a deck brush to apply and brush in.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Spray carb cleaner and wipe with a towel or rag a little at a time.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Dip a bonnet in a solvent and 175 it?

That's what I was thinking... Not the dipping in in! :eekk:

I'd imagine something like Larry's(cobbs) stain solve would work very well. Maybe a red pad, if you have one/some. If not...

Citrus type solvent should work, acetone, etc...

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
GOR-6055002-2.jpg

This is what they used to hold a 5x7 area mat down .. see where it says in the bottom right corner - bonds permanently !! No wonder Im having a hard time. I went back today with Cobb Stain Solv .. also used Citri Gel and OMS. I spent an hour appling and brushing in with a deck brush and also used a tamping brush scrubbing back n forth. Still a slight sticky residue. I gotta get a hold of some De Solv All. Im gonna call the Gorillas and try and get an antidote. I about had it with this project.

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
From their website-
Gorilla Tape can be removed, but with some difficulty and it may leave some residue. To remove any excess residue, we recommend using the tape itself as a blotter.

Like Mark said- The residue is just on the fiber tips so don't over use your products.

I about had it with this project.

Reactions: Spurlington

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We've used a Cimex and fiber pads to agitated with great success on the protection film residue. However its not as sticky as gorilla tape.

I'd be sure to advise them this is a salvage situation. Too much solvent work could easily damage the backing. Even if not immediately, but a month or two down the road.

steve_64

Construction adhesive and gorilla glue are permanent on carpet. Maybe use a razor blade to get the worse of it out

I'm surprised you got any off with cleaning.

Reactions: Spurlington

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
This tape is mashed down in a heavy traffic entrance !!

I got about 75-90% off.

If you've made a major improvement tell them to put some proper walk off mats down over what's left and problem solved. Sounds like the area needs it anyway.

Spurlington

Name
Spurlino
I called the gorilla people and the lady says its not meant to be removed and they dont have an answer as to how to remove it .. in fact she says it may cause permanant damage to carpet. Package does say permanant bond. I wanna tell them they gotta put another mat over it or something ..

... after I try De Solv All ..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom