Dry Foam upholstery cleaning

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Can you "out" him, so he can tell us why? And how is his process being performed?

No, up to him..

Its unfortunate that he feels like he can't post his questions and comments directlyI've learned that there isn't that "Olde Steam Religion" bias against other methods when it comes to upholstery cleaning that surely exists in carpet cleaning.

Even Mr Ladwig sees that there is sometimes safety and wisdom in cleaning upholstery with a low moisture system.

In any event, what I think some of this comes down to is this:

1. Is the choice to use dry foam as a cleaning method being done because its the safest method, or just to save time?

2. Is the method in question one that uses the "mountain of suds and a sponge" technique, with just wet vacuuming as a follow up, or is it a mist and towel extraction technique? Both save time, but the first does leave a great deal more residue on the fabric.

This has been, and can continue to be a good conversation here.

One last thought: Given the choice between leaving too much shampoo residue on a fabric, or leaving it saturated with oily dry cleaning solvent, I'll take the shampoo residue. There is far more risk of skin (and respiratory) irritation with the solvent than the shampoo.

-

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I actually think it takes us longer. :errf:

A better pre-vacuum, hand work with whipping foam takes along. (a foamer, pump-up would be faster). Post wipe down with terry towels. I feel HWE is much faster and hate to slow down to hand work unless absolutely necessary. Such as safer due to using less moisture with that method.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I can't speak to that Mike.

I can say that I am impressed with how well the encap products I tested on upholstery worked. But I also worked hard to remove the residue, as there is no benefit that I can see from having them remain on upholstery textiles.

Mikey P

Administrator
The gentleman in question was excited about ease of use, time saved and yes, outcome.

But just like carpet rinses and de'limoline based presprays, you never really know the out come for a year or more when loads of 2nd visits start happening

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The gentleman in question was excited about ease of use, time saved and yes, outcome.

But just like carpet rinses and de'limoline based presprays, you never really know the out come for a year or more when loads of 2nd visits start happening

I like seeing people trying to improve their craft. Ask if he's tested protector after his cleaning method, if protector is important to him; it might not be after all.

Mikey P

Administrator
CCA will bring this Foamer unit to both Atlanta and Nashville for us to clean Kellie and Meg's bufonts with..

xVQJu2rP9Q8RKkaZygDFBtX7ZXDAgua91-u4HQORXwOR9ijRAQBlJJaO2CifEBP_3aBQ4WdhdqRfY3-ykg=w1327-h996-no.jpg

Reactions: Mark Saiger and CCA
Name
Danny Strickland
I just sold my VS Esprit and prior to the sale i cleaned my micro fiber "love couch" with a well forulated encap product. It looked as good as any HWE i've done and it still looks good a few months later!

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I can't speak to that Mike.

I can say that I am impressed with how well the encap products I tested on upholstery worked. But I also worked hard to remove the residue, as there is no benefit that I can see from having them remain on upholstery textiles.

Great post.

Great post.
Jim, depending on the products used, what problems do YOU foresee with encap products remaining in the upholstery.

Most will be aware of the young & very old or those with respiratory problems, but anything else that others may not be aware of??

Thanks,

:yoda:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Unless someone has sensitive skin, probably nothing serious. I will add that I am not convinced even now that dry vacuuming alone removes as much encap residue and soil during the "morning after" dry vacuum extraction technique on carpet.

In upholstery cleaning though, most cleaners are using towel extraction, often with an orbital buffer. This system removes a great deal of residue and leaves fabrics soft and bright. Other than a few hypersensitive white natural fibers that could brown out or very unstable dyes that could bleed, encap products can replace shampoo in most cases.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Unless someone has sensitive skin, probably nothing serious. I will add that I am not convinced even now that dry vacuuming alone removes as much encap residue and soil during the "morning after" dry vacuum extraction technique on carpet.

In upholstery cleaning though, most cleaners are using towel extraction, often with an orbital buffer. This system removes a great deal of residue and leaves fabrics soft and bright. Other than a few hypersensitive white natural fibers that could brown out or very unstable dyes that could bleed, encap products can replace shampoo in most cases.

I also am of the opinion that the action of sitting on a sofa, etc; is enough to expel a fair bit of the encap; residue from the furniture.

Thanks Jim.

Blus%20Bros.jpg

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I wouldn't worry about the encap residue if you use an orbital buffer afterward. Even wet vacuuming will remove some of it. If you think of it, we do neither for the most part after we apply and agitate encap products to carpet.

With towel extraction, you leave less "stuff" in the fabric than you would with conventional dry foam processes.

Reactions: Shorty

Enge

I just sold my VS Esprit and prior to the sale i cleaned my micro fiber "love couch" with a well forulated encap product. It looked as good as any HWE i've done and it still looks good a few months later!

We've gotten very good results with our VS system.

Name
Lee Stockwell
The last upholstery I entirely cleaned with foam was very early 80's.

As Jim noted, mixed results and sometimes noticeable residue. It's still useful.

Easy on overuse of sodium laurel sulphate though.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Sodium laurel sulphate is the common ingredient in most shampoo products. Since its usually used as a shower feed or "sponge dipped in foam" technique, I can't speak to how they might affect you when sprayed.

I encap our office and a friends place of business and never have any negative reaction to what I spray when I do it.

But, to be fair, I grew up in a dry cleaning plant breathing perchlorethelyne, and used to custom mix the cleaning agents for our cleaning company with 2-butoxyethanol and sodium metasilicate.

Most anything is mild compared to that.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Marty, are you using Ricks tea oil based encap.
There are many that do not contain it, he does too. And surround has a fragrance free one.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I use their green encap and I don't get any gag reaction. And I hate most perfumes, even if they call them scents or even more "deceitfully"- fragrances :winky:

If you prefer a fragrance free one try Surround's. Never used them as I hardly use encap products (still trying to get done with existing inventory, unfortunately I am a secret chemical hoarder) . However, I've heard that they are very good.

Unless, of course, Ricky G. finally gets off his damn wagon (I like Rick and I think he runs a top notch business) and makes a fragrance free one. Mr. G?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom