DUNS # for you commercial guys

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Have any of you commercial focused companies gone to the trouble of using the Credit Builder Program put out by Dun and Bradstreet?

It was pitched to me that until you forceably start a credit file with them, most vendors do not report to them at all in order for your company to build a solid credit rating. When you have the number, which is required for gov't bidding, they run a report to see your status. The sales person stated that not having anything or being setup is the worst ranking of all thus hurting your company when being search by either big companies that you are listing with or bidding for. I never did this with my previous company.

Not sure whether the $300 is worth it to get this going. Can anyone guide me in the right direction or comments?

Thanks.

Trevor Truitt

I've just started looking into business credit.

I think you can "self-report" to Duns, that is YOU add to your credit file, rather than waiting for your supplier or whoever to do it.

Like I said, I've just started looking into this, so I may be wrong.

Check out this site on building business credit:

http://www.businessfinance.com/books/Bu ... ookTOC.htm

They are trying to sell something though.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
This is what they sent me.

A benefit or sales pitch?????

Thank you for your interest in D&B's services. As you have requested, I am sending more information about the CreditBuilder PlusTM.

The CreditBuilder Plusä service is ideal for new businesses that need to quickly establish their credit rating and develop a payment history. CreditBuilder Plusä provides you with a D-U-N-Sä Number and develops your company's full D&B credit file. You profile includes D&B scores and ratings, such as the PAYDEXä Score*, which can help accelerate the decision process and improve your rates or terms when you're trying to obtain a loan or make a purchase on credit.
Benefits and uses

Establish a D-U-N-Sä Number to uniquely identify and protect your business.
Expedited creation of a basic credit file within one business day to help establish your company's credibility.
Full set of scores and ratings (including a PAYDEXä Score) that helps you to qualify for business credit and enable your business partners to make fast and accurate decisions about your company.
Develop your company's PAYDEXä Score and improve the accuracy of your other scores and ratings by submitting up to six trade references over the course of 30 days that D&B will contact to collect payment experiences.
Access to your company's credit file to help you understand how your business partners are making decisions about your company and how you can use your company's strengths to negotiate better terms.

How it works

You will provide D&B with comprehensive information on your business, including company background, operational information, business owners and financial statement information (optional) and up to six qualifying trade references.
D&B will contact the trade references you've submitted to collect payment experiences that will be added to your credit file.
D&B will assign you a D-U-N-Sä Number and build your full credit file, making your company eligible for all scores including the D&B PAYDEX Score, which is not available without payment experiences.
D&B will deliver a basic Business Information Report (BIR) on your business once your D-U-N-Sä Number and the basic file have been created and a Comprehensive Report on your credit file once your payment experiences are added.
D&B will email you throughout the process to inform you of what references were added to your file and provide you with the opportunity to submit additional references online until you reach six references or 30 days.

* A PAYDEXä Score is determined by how your company has paid it's bills over the past year, based on payment experiences reported to D&B. It can help accelerate the decision process and improve your rates or terms when you're trying to obtain a loan or make purchases on credit. If you need a PAYDEXä Score to provide your company's payment history, you should purchase the CreditBuilder Plusä.

The cost of this service is $549. I am more than happy to answer any additional questions that you might have about this service provided by D&B. Please feel free to contact me , via email or by calling .

Thank you again for your interest in the CreditBuilder PlusTM.

Self Monitorä enables you to improve and protect your credit by understanding the elements in your report and monitor any changes to your profile so that you can proactively address any issues quickly and efficiently before they cause harm to your business.

Improve your credit by understanding how the information in your credit file is used by other companies to evaluate your business as a potential borrower, supplier or business partner. And understand which scores you may need to enhance to generate new business opportunities and new revenue.

Protect your credit by ensuring that the information in your credit file is accurate, so you can show the most favorable credit standing and preserve your ability to act on business opportunities.

Benefits:

Understand what D&B recommends to companies about the business when a company pulls the D&B credit file.
Obtain loans, attract new customers, secure favorable credit terms and protect your business's reputation by ensuring that your D&B information presents your company in the best light.
Be more competitive by understanding how your company's financial stability compares to others.
Be aware of how your PAYDEX score (D&B's assessment of how quickly you pay your bills) might reflect positively or negatively on your credit profile so you can change it if necessary.
Verify that D&B has the most complete information available.

Features:

See current D&B ratings and scores with an explanation of what elements affect those evaluations.
See graphical representations of whether your company is in the high-risk category for late payments and of how your company paid its bills over the past 90 days.
Receive D&B's assessment of how much credit should be extended to a company like yours.
See public records and other newsworthy events about your business.
Use auto refresh so that each time you go online, you will see the latest information D&B has on your company.
For one full year, receive alerts 24/7 anytime there is a noteworthy change to your report.
Provides quarterly score summaries highlighting the changes to your key D&B scores and ratings over a 90 day period.
Receive a guide to the details of your SelfMonitor report, how to analyze the information, and how to improve or fix 'red flags'.

The cost of this service is $369. I am more than happy to answer any additional questions that you might have about this service provided by D&B. Please feel free to contact me , via email or by calling .

Thank you again for your interest in the Self MonitorTM.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Establish, Improve, and Protect your Credit with D&B
D&B is the recognized global leader in business information. Our database includes more than 100 million businesses from over 200 countries. We are used by over 90% of Fortune 1000 companies and thousands of small businesses every day to make decisions that already may have or could impact your business.

Bob Foster

First of all I don't like the way they threaten you on the phone that if you don't disclose business information to them that it is somehow derogatory to your creditworthiness. This stuff has that same slimy veiled threat in the name of self-righteousness that the BBB has or Ethical Services when they attempt to extort membership money or business information from you.

Second - why should I? Any company still asks you for credit references which you have the choice to give them. A lot of the information that D&B want is none of their business and should only be between your business and current or prospective creditors and agencies that you agree to allow them to share it with. I have never been denied credit because D&B doesn't know about my business.

You don't know who is seeing your business information that goes far beyond credit capacity or exactly why they are using it. You also have very little control over this information. It is NOT like consumer credit information.

bubba

Don't give into the sales demands. Visit Creditboards.com and check out the information on business credit. You don't need to purchase anything from them to get a DUNS number. business credit is worth having and it's worth building but it's not worth the $300.00 they want. You can get a DUNS number free, but it will take you up to 30 days to get it.

Read the forums on Credit Boards.com It's very useful.

Dolly

I agree with the sentiments of the opinion shared by the gentlemen above.

In order to do government contract work, you have to apply and be in the system.

I don't agree with it, It does seem to be what was said.

You almost feel like it is another BBB

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Send me $250.00 and I'll tell whom ever you want, that you have excellent credit! :D

Sounds like a rip off to me! :x

I'd check into in great detail before I'd send anything!

Trevor Truitt

Thanks for the link Bubba!

I would think establishing business credit is mandatory if you are ever going to be able to sell your business.

If your business can't run without you being there everyday, you don't have a business but a job.

If your business can't run without your personal credit on the line, what do you have then?

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
It does come in handy for gov't work. Not too big on gov't work. I am going to start going after large commercial property management companies. I wasn't sure if they pull this info and look for anything.

I will probably leave it alone after the good advice. I was more curious if anyone has used this to their advantage as a marketing tool.

Thanks for the help.

bubba

Again, you don't have to pay anyone $250.00.

Read it on Credit Boards.

You can also see how many other cleaners in your area have a duns number.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom