Dye Bleeding Created and Removed

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
This was a hand woven Turkish rug that I was called in to consult on. It was a confirmed bleeder and I was given this 6" wide border of the actual rug to experiment on. Since Tom and others asked for some before and after of our ReduceAll on hand-woven rugs, I decided to create some severe bleeding and then remove it. I created the bleeding by using a pH 12 blood remover just applying it liberally to to the rug held at a 45 degree angle. This was the severe bleeding result of every color.
Even the white serging on the bottom right turned blue:
BleedingBefore.jpg
Then the next day we treated this border sample with ReduceAll @ 1 oz./gallon water heated to 130 degrees. pH was adjusted to 9 with STPP. We sprayed the ReduceAll solution with a spray gun @ 100 psi. After spraying the sample for ~5 min. we vacuum extracted the area with a dual vac portable. Bleeding was still noticeable, so we sprayed the solution for a few more minutes and squeegeed the rug with a bone scraper. Applied the ReduceAll for a few more minutes and did a final vac only extraction. This was the final result while still wet. Some residual bleeding on right side was still slightly visible, but I expect that to disappear with drying.
BleedingAfter1.jpg
Total Cleaning was 10 min from the video we also took,
with no agitation other than vac extracting and squeegeeing with bone scraper.
Larry Cobb

P.S. We did not use our new Dye Transfer Inhibitor in this test,
which would have improved the outcome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shorty and BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I'm not saying it couldn't happen during cleaning but my experience is all the bad shit happens in the drying phase. :errf:
I disagree, most bleeding happens in the cleaning phase. The only way it happens in the drying phase, is if you are hanging up dripping wet rugs. You need to dry down your rugs before you hang them up

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
The rug segment we did above was dry,

before we did the bleeding removal.

Ill Clarify my question:

We cleaned a urine soaked rug, it bleed-- we tried to correct it with little success-- we returned the rug with the dye bleed-- we would like to take that rug back from the customer and correct the problem if possible. my tech attended Rug Summit 10 and hopefully will l have the remedy in hand--- I just wanted your version of the repair from you Larry.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
At the Rug Summit, I don't know what they will remove the dye bleeding with ?

Traditionally, it has been with hydrosulfite solution poured on the rug.

Our product, ReduceAll is a new generation reducing agent with better characteristics for removing bleeding and Hagopian has some.

Your rug should be able to be corrected with the ReduceAll.
Here is a 5 min. video of our process:

We supply both of these products:

http://www.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index...arch_in_description=1&keyword=DCRA7+or+DCSTR8

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Howell

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
The STPP provides the pH control, and it aids suspension of the dye.

We include it with every order of ReduceAll.

We will also have our new ColorGrab Dye Transfer Inhibitor to enhance the process.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You mean you don't clean them either!
Well not as thoroughly as washing. :icon_neutral:

We dust then, agitate with a Cimex and soft brushes, rinse with a Zipper at 600 psi from an electric in plant TM. Hang them to dry and clean them a second time and hand clean the fringe.
$260.00 for a 9x12 and we have a couple hours in it.

Reactions: EDS

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Larry, will you be supplying these products to Australia??

I'm just getting set up again for "boutique" rug cleaning. :winky:

:yoda:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom