effervescence and plain ol dirty grout

steve_64

Last year i cleaned an auto dealership that hadn't been cleaned professionally EVER! I got it cleaned but the grout didn't turn out so well.

Ive been trying viper renew on an area to see if i can fix this grout in the showroom. Today I made a second attempt and its better but still not what Im looking for. I also just sprayed some sallys 40 volume on couple feet and gave it a quick scrub and that seemed to be better. Im going to go look at later today after its dried for awhile. I did put a fan on it while i was there bit this stuff really dries slow.

I have a ton of questions about this and will probably call someone later to discuss my alternatives. It is ceramic tile with sanded grout and man the dirt just keeps coming out of the grout. One thing im wondering is am i better off getting this grout clean and dry before sealing it or can i seal it while its still damp?

steve_64

I did that last year and it didnt help much.

Whats that white stuff that seems to grow out of the grout? Is there a product you recommend?

steve_64

Ahhh I see lol I went with spell check.

The grout stays wet for a long time even with a fan on it. its a small fan but its still wet 5 hours later. I am just wiping it up with a towel and water since its just a small area im working on.

Im thinking of buying a porty and floor tool to rinse with. Im assuming this would help?

I should probably take a class I know but I can get on this pretty quick if I can get this grout clean.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Are you dealing with foot traffic soil, grease, rubber tire grundge, or perhaps tracked in blacktop?

You may need a butoxyl boosted cleaner, like a good vct floor stripper. Let it dwell for at least one cup of coffee. I'd then run the grout lines with superheated steam to penetrate, swell and lift those deep soils. Here is Jerick elf at work:

steve_64

Old coastie dude!

We have a lady bug steamer that would clean that way.

I donr have crap for equipment. Just scrubbing and mopping right now. I talked to mike earlier and he helped me understand some things.

But i may try the steamer thing! Thank You Steve that may help a lot.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
It is not fast like pressure washing, but neither is it destructive. Using the butoxyl you can dissolve chewing gum. Does the Ladybug let you inject fluid into the line? If so, you just goose those tough spots with a dose and away they go.
Use a spin mop or a wet vac to recover slops. The O'Cedar spin mop is at wally world for $30 and will become your best pal. I don't much like the other brands, they have runty handles. One nice thing is that you won't make a lot of noise and can work in zones without disrupting the dealership. I urge you to make SURE you put up "wet floor" signs and even use something to cordon off the zones as you go. I use plastic sawhorses and 1" wide loading straps. Tie one end to the sawhorse and the rubber coated hook can snag something at the other end. It keeps lookyloos off the wet tiles. Don't hesitate to bark at some dummy if you have to,to keep them safe!

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
in a bathroom in a dealership if it had a floor drain after cleaning i would try some bleach. used it in plenty of bathrooms around the commode, works great and super cheap. just don't track it out on your shoes. the dealership is probably all tile floors so less concern.

steve_64

They have serious issues thats for sure. The efflorescence is on the west side of the building only.

I have been cleaning the carpets for about five years and they had been asking me to do the tile for 3 or4. Its what has got me interested in doing tile work. That and this board.

The grout may be to dirty to ever get clean. 11 years of mopping with cold water and generic pine sol. The break room is super nasty!

Ive been lowering their expectations. they know they have problems. But they wont buy a new water heater. :hopeless:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Are you dealing with foot traffic soil, grease, rubber tire grundge, or perhaps tracked in blacktop?

You may need a butoxyl boosted cleaner, like a good vct floor stripper. Let it dwell for at least one cup of coffee. I'd then run the grout lines with superheated steam to penetrate, swell and lift those deep soils. Here is Jerick elf at work:

What kind of steamer are you using? I've been looking at some of the Dupray steam vacs. They have 220v model I have been thinking of trying with power converter from Steambrite. Let's you plug a 220v machine into 1-110v outlets. You can steam and vac at the same time at aprox 350 degrees f

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I use the dual 120-v version of this:
http://dupray.com/steam-cleaners/steam-box-steam-cleaner/

The Carmen would serve every bit as well, for $1000 less.

I also have the steam-only attachments as well as the vacuum/steam attachments.

I have had to modify the vacuum line to make it more rugged. If you like, I can show you why. Boils down to Italians always designing a Maserati when what you wanted was a pickup truck.

Reactions: Todd Millar

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

I have had to modify the vacuum line to make it more rugged. If you like, I can show you why. Boils down to Italians always designing a Maserati when what you wanted was a pickup truck.
In my dreams, I want to modify one for vlm carpet cleaning. Think about prespraying the carpet a then hittng it with a hot steam vac like that, I bet it would clean well and leav the carpets as Dry a encap. Have to modify the wand a bit. Be a beautiful 2 cord machine. Sanitize the carpet at the same time

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Nonono, I tried that and turned good honest filthy carpet into a frazzeled pom pom. That vapor pushes 400f and will alter synthetics. It is incomparable for deep cleaning hard surfaces, mattresses, inaccessible areas and crevices, but not meant to do carpet.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

I have been looking at the Carmen. The 120 volt seems very underpowered. It shows at 1800 watts and that include the vacuum, unless you are using the boiler and vacuum at different times. The 220volt model shows 3650 watts, which if I could separate into separate circuits seems to heat up in half the time. I'm not sure if you can use the vac and steam simultaneously

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Mine requires two circuits to run both heating elements. One 120v circuit will drive the low steam setting and vacuum.

It is an expensive tool, but please feel free to ask anything that would help you decide.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
so on 2 120 v circuits can you use the high steam and vacuum at the same time? Is it easier to steam vac that to steam and wipe with a cloth? Reason I look at doing carpets with a modified approach is their videos showing how to clean upholstery with an extraction tool. It seems if you could do upholstery including leather, there must be a way to do carpets without using a pad on a stick.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Yes, on two circuits you can use the vacuum and high steam.

1. One circuit, vacuum and low steam continuously. Medium or high steam intermittently, but will drain the steam.

2. Two circuits (or 220v I should think), vacuum and medium steam continuously. High steam intermittantly. Replenishes rapidly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom