Electric GuRus...

Chris A

Name
Chris
Any ideas on why my electric hose reels are always toasting fuses. I have the popular style Hydramaster over-the-tank 250 feet electric reels. I use a 30 amp fuse and can't get more than a couple jobs out of them. I'm electronically retarded, so don't be afraid to over-simplify...Thanks!

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
motor could be bad and dragging....If so then it is getting to hot....when this happens the amps on the motor get higher then breaks the fuse.....
next time it happens reach back there and put your hand on the motor and feel how hot it is

let me know.........

Bob Foster

Jim Martin said:
motor could be bad and dragging....If so then it is getting to hot....when this happens the amps on the motor get higher then breaks the fuse.....
next time it happens reach back there and put your hand on the motor and feel how hot it is

let me know.........

Jim, I wonder if his actuator switch is going to ground because it's worn.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Next time you pop a fuse in their use a multimeter if you have access to one and set it up to see both the voltage and the current (amps) across your terminats going to and from the motor as well as at the fuse. Also check to see the incoming voltage and current to the fuse.

Josh Adler

Chris,

I have the same reel and had a similar problem when i first got it. make sure you turn your truck off while using the reel and you should be fine.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Josh Adler said:
Chris,

I have the same reel and had a similar problem when i first got it. make sure you turn your truck off while using the reel and you should be fine.

That sounds like the simplest answer so I'm gonna try that first! shiteatinggrin

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
could be a lose connection some where...if turning off the truck is the answer then something is wired wrong and it is over amping.............having the truck running should not allow a drag to be put on the electrical system....if something was going to ground it would pop and would not last one job...I am thinking it is an over heating problem because he can do a few jobs before it gives him a problem.....motor or wiring issue...............

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom