Epoxy on Travertine??????

Fon Johnson

Hey guys,

I have a guy (installer) who called me today with a job I'm not quite sure what to do about. I'm not sure I even want it.. His installers were in a bit of a hury and he says they wiped the epoxy with sponges, and now you can see where it was wiped (shiny streaks.) It seems there is a haze from the epoxy grout where they wiped it with spnges after grouting it. This is a $30,000 custom instal (I think about 600 sq ft) of travertine and glass. He has tried a few things including goof off with no results. I'm thinking it is going to have to have a light hone and polish, or at least a polish. I thought about monkey pads, but I worry about the glass. I may go look at the floor, and I told him if I did I would take pics to post here to get input from some of the guys who specialize in this stuff. We do not do much travertine at all, and have never had to remove a epoxy haze. He was asking about acid, and I told him not to do that.. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Fonster

Gary T

Epoxy grout or fill, doesn't really matter. To remove chemically you'll run the risk of damage to grout/fill and possibly stone too. More than likely, you're looking at a light hone/polish.

David Gelinas

Hi Fon

I’ve had pretty good success using MEK and a razor blade to do spot removal in situations like that. If you end up going with resurface the only thing I’d be concerned with from your post is the glass inlays. I haven’t used the MPs yet (And id like some that have to send me some feed back) but I have used similar pads and I don’t think they’ll work in a situation like this. Because the abrasive is mounted on a fiber pad there is to much movement; I think it will roll over the heavy areas and not shear them off like a rigid diamond. If really is just a film you’re dealing with they “might” work.

Let us know how you make out.

David Gelinas
Marbleguy

Fon Johnson

Thanks, guys.

From what I understand, it is residue from where they sponged the lines after epoxy grouting. I would like to help the guy out, but I am REAL hesitant to make the problem mine, REGARDLESS of how much I charge. It sounds to me like they left a streaked hazy residue that is shiny where there is epoxy on the travertine. The glass bothers me as much as anything here. I imagine I could go in with monkey pads and try it without messing it up, but the glass changes that. I guess it would not hurt to tell him to try using some MEK and razor blades himself? Would it be safe to use 000 steel wool with it? At this point, if I could tell him what to do himself he would save lots of money (he is already losing on this job) and I would be the hero for walking him through it.

TWIMAO

I had the same situation when I put down my floor. I was able to use a razor to remove my mistake. Usually the grout is so close to the same color, if a little is missed, it is not very noticeable.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom