FROM THE SON OF THE INDUSTRY’S PIONEER !!!!

It has come to my attention that there are manufacturers selling truckmounts intentionally designed to produce temperatures higher than the pressure hose is rated for.

Goodyear Neptune hose is rated to 250 degrees. Parker Parflex is rated for 230 degrees. Even though these temperature ratings are at full pressure rating capability of the hose, dropping the pressure does not in any way increase the temperature rating of the hoses.

The reason I am making this post, is that I need everyone to be aware that to compensate for temperature drop through the pressure hose by simply adding more temperature as the water leaves the machine, is not the best method and is not safe.

In other words, if you have a unit with 280 at the machine because you want to have a temp at the wand of 240, you are taking a HUGE liability risk!

The pressure hose manufacturers put those temperature limitations on the hose for a reason. If after extensive testing and research, they determine that 230 is the max safe operating temperature for that hose, then you had better NOT intentionally operate that hose at 231 degrees or higher.

I am not making this post as a scare tactic, but to inform you if one of your customers gets injured from a pressure hose rupture, you will lose in court when you get sued, if you are intentionally operating your equipment in such a manner as to produce temperatures higher than the pressure hose is rated for.

Another down side to running your heat system at such high temperatures is that you are wasting energy. You are forcing everything to run at higher temperatures, which shortens the life of your components. It also shortens the life of the hose dramatically.

There is a simple way to get you the 240 at the wand without having to run high temps at the machine and overtemp the hoses. Purchase a 10 Flow Greenhorn Wand from Greenie. This will allow you to run your machine at no more than 250. Because of the high flow the water travels faster from the machine to the wand, and your heat loss through the hose is only 10 degrees instead of 30 – 40 degrees with a standard flow wand.

Another good thing about Greenie’s wand is that you can now run your machine at a lower temperature, saving big money on propane or kerosene, extending the life of your truckmount, plus extending the life of your pressure hose.

I have one more subject I would like to talk to you guys about. It has come to my attention that truckmount manufacturers are producing truckmounts with vacuum settings higher than the maximum rating for the blower.

The purpose of doing this is to get more airflow through the vacuum hose. By having a higher lift on the blower, you are loading the engine more, causing it to run at higher temperatures, consume more fuel, and shorten its life. This will also cause you to have to replace belts more often.

Again, I don’t want to sound like a big schill for Greenie, but if you will simply go to 2 ½ inch vacuum hose, you will increase the airflow probably more than if you just had the vacuum relief valve set higher than the blower’s maximum capability. This will put less stress on your equipment, make everything last longer, and lower your operating cost.

I know we all want to get the most out of our units to do the best job we can. However, there is a correct way of doing things and there is an incorrect way. Exceeding the manufacturers’ limitations of their components is the incorrect way of achieving higher performance.

I am going to post two videos of a system we built with Terje. You will see that it has 240 at the wand and the machine is not set over 250. I know a lot of you guys are going to say that you have been doing this for years and getting away with it. That’s not the point. I don’t want to see any of you wind up in a law suit or needlessly wear out your equipment prematurely.

Thanks!

Les

v]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSgk5Azwx0gv]

v]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfsZ9nNPTgcv]

Mikey P

Administrator
This Truckmount Safety Moment was brought to you by the Edgar Winter Group.

k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQB83__ONuok]

Bjorn

the point is most cleaners or at least 99.8% use either para flex or good year Neptune

Name
Lee Stockwell
Raptor Blast. Made in Austria. A bit smaller OD than Neptune for equivalent ID. Still wire braid, and a bit rougher outer jacket.

Would love to see a combination of this with a PVC jacket.

Thanks
Lee

LeeCory

I know that crappy Neptune hose ruptures, but has anyone ever had a thermoplastic hose actually "blow up"? I don't mean a little pinhole leak, I mean rupture. I've run propane machines with the heat way up there and never had an issue with thermoplastic. Yes I have had pinhole leaks after a long time, usually out closer to the machine where it was hottest. The best thing about that hose is that it seems to warn you well ahead of time before finally getting the little pinhole leak.

Do people still use Neptune hose?

There are plenty of wimpy machines out there, so I hope nobody intentionally makes machines that are low temp just because carpet cleaners are idiots.

There are very few carpet cleaning members of Mensa. There will always be idiots out there that don't watch their hoses until they blow up. You can't protect these people, because they are the same ones that will stick their hands in to feel the belts while they are spinning. Or open a radiator cap while hot to see if the levels are good.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Thermoplastic usually pinholes before it goes, however, occasionally you will have an end crimp let loose (usually when the hose is new) due to a faulty crimp. ALWAYS put brand new hoses (any type/brand) further back, out of the house for the first few uses to make sure the crimps are good before moving them up to the wand end.

Take care,
Lisa

Mikey P

Administrator
I keep five lengths of Parflex on my V. in 5 years I've never had one burst, just in holes. anywhere form one to six holes at a time.

Greenie

Lee Stockwell said:
Raptor Blast. Made in Austria. A bit smaller OD than Neptune for equivalent ID. Still wire braid, and a bit rougher outer jacket.

Would love to see a combination of this with a PVC jacket.

Thanks
Lee

I've had that hose and it's Italian competitor, it's really shitty hose to be using for carpet cleaning, and to be honest I don't trust it any more at 250 deg. than i do any other hose, and it's still wicked hot to the touch, and LOSES lots of heat because of the steel braid.

In fact i am willing to bet if you ran 200' of parflex at 230 deg, and 200' of that rough jacket grabby stuff at 250 deg. your NET temp would be HIGHER at the wand using the SAFER and LIGHTER parflex.

So...why even bother with it? Live steam cleaning? You doing restaurant hoods?

Like Lisa mentioned, an aftermarket crimp may not be up to par, that is why I ALWAYS used factory crimps on the KMA parflex, crimped by a Parker dealer with parker dies and crimps, nothing aftermarket.

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
im waiting to see if this is going to get the same hi-jacking as the other thread i saw latley..

Name
Lee Stockwell
You are "willing to bet"....lol
We clean carpets. Lots of carpets. It's good hose after almost 5 years experience with it.

We are not much on windows though....

Lee

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Whats 150 ft of paraflex cost. I always replace in december maybe I'll give it a try. Is that the same stuff they put on the hydro force sx12. Mine has a permanent loop and completely broke without any warning .

Gene

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
if you run the tm at 250, you're still over the Parflex rating of 230
The Parflex does keep the heat better than the Tornado steel braid hose.
Its not so bad to use as long as its coiled properly, over under. I've 120ft length of Parflex, and 2-100ft lengths of Tornado. I'll keep the Parflex hooked to the truck and bring the Tornado inside as the last run, helps to conserve heat.
Also, I have a 6ft length of stainless teflon hose to lead off the truck. Trucks can't get hot enough to burst that hose!

Name
Lee Stockwell
If there ever is an incident involving very hot water blowing a hose I'll feel much better knowing the hose I use is plainly marked to be rated at 275 F. and not something obviously used beyond its specs.

Thanks,
Lee

ps. don't overlook the fact that I noted it could be made even better with a smooth poly cover which would also insulate it better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom