@#$$#&*(%$ Fuel Pumps!!!

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I am going to drop the tank tomorrow and replace it. On the flip side, my new truck is shipping today... FINALLY.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Not saying it is the issue, especially with the way you care for your equipment. However fuel filters that are not changed often enough will cause extra strain on the fuel pump causing the issues that your showing.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
So I decided not to change out the fuel pump today. I didn't want to get all dirty and smell like gas knowing that I was going to my wife's JV softball game. But I did manage to go see the optometrist. New day tomorrow.

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Am I the only one that chuckled at that? :icon_redface:

No, I did too...

I was thinking...."I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express" commercial when I read it....

Still hope you have luck with the change out....and Hopefully there is an updated wiring harness available for you Dan

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I'm putting in a Airtex. At 35.00 dollars and a couple hours labor it needs to last about two months until my new van arrives. I believe the pump in it now is also and Airtex that was installed back in 2002-2003. My van (Nelly) is old 1995. I got called to a flood today, loaded my stuff in the back, hopped in patted her on the steering wheel and said "Nelly, we gotta get thru this together today. I will baby you and you be good to me".

Nelly Rocks... Hercules is on the horizon.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
I have a 1997 GMC van with the 350. Has about 130,000 miles on it. I have heard of the problems with fuel pumps on these boards before, but for some reason mine has not failed. Perhaps my older year truck there is something different? Of course my fuel guage has not worked in years. Only will show about 3/4 full most of the time. If I fill up it shows full, and if I get really low on fuel it shows full. Weird.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Job complete. Fuel pump, strainer and fuel filter all replaced today. My god I'm getting old, I use to bench press transmission into mustangs and this gas tank and laying on the ground was kicking my ass...

Oh ya, Nelly is rockin the streets again. :clap:

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
forgot to mention, while I was under the van working I also decided to change out the muffler bearing. Have you ever had one of these fail?

FullSizeRender-2.jpg

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
So I changed out the fuel pump and filter on Saturday as mentioned. All started off good but I was quickly noticing something wasn't right. Running down the road and motor just suddenly dies. Pull over with no power steering and no brakes....crank crank crank...crank crank crank.. Vroom, off we go again. This happened 4-5 times.

What's the problem?

On a side not... The fuel pump was bad. I got rid of the stumbling under load and lack of power. I can hear the fuel pump again and before it was dim and quit after few seconds...

Back to the problem:

What would you suspect? Many of you complain about fuel pumps but this is the problematic part for me. I am now on the 4th one at 185,000 miles.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Keep thinking about it... Why would a van run and just die while going down the freeway and restart few minutes later... Come on Saiger

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
No. Good guess but it wouldn't restart with that being the case. At least I don't think it would and it don't have one anyways.
I recently had a car with a bad crankshaft sensor. It never died while running but would not start intermittently. That doesn't help you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom