Getting to know our resident Interlink distributors

Mikey P

Administrator
This interview is for all of our Interlink guys. Packfan, Jim Pemberton, Forsythe, Micha and who ever I am forgetting. I would hope all of you take the time to answer these questions.

-How did you make the decision to become a Interlink distributor?

-What are the advantages and disadvantages of being a Interlink distributor?

-What made you chose your location? Were you an existing store or were you absorbed into the collective?

-How have you chosen to deal with the Marketing Direct scandal?

-If Bridgepoint were to go out of business how would you deal with it?

-How does this board help you and your business?

-Would you allow a SFS class to be held at your location?

- How bad do you hate me right now?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
How did you make the decision to become a Interlink distributor?

Any distribution relationship that we have, Interlink or otherwise, is based on its ability to help us to serve our customer base, maintain both competitive pricing and a profit level that is necessary to remain in business, and to have competitive advantages over other vendors who don't have the same relationships.

See above.

-What made you chose your location?

My father chose our supply business location when I was 12, so I can't answer that very easily. I think it would be fair to say it was based on the general location of our existing cleaning and restoration business and where we lived

Were you an existing store or were you absorbed into the collective?

We were, and are an existing store and independant business. I don't think anyone who knows us would perceive us as being absorbed into any collective model.

We have done what we could to make things right with our customers. If those who are a part of this board feel otherwise, they are free to express themselves here. My dealings with Bridgepoint regarding this issue are between them and me.

In 36 years of distribution, we've had manufacturers come and go. Few went out of business, some just didn't qualify to remain as vendors with us. Should either occur with Bridgepoint, it would be difficult for us as they are our primary cleaning product supplier, and we like both their products and deeply value our relationship with them. But we've outlasted several manufacturers, and I'm confident we can outlive any of our current ones should that issue arise.

The board helps my business by giving me an opportunity to study the concerns, likes, and dislikeds of the cleaning industry both within and outside of my regional market area. I came here intially to use this place for research, and it continues to help me in that fashion. I find that cleaners tend to be a bit more candid about their opinions and prejudices here than they might be in a showroom, classroom, or trade show. Its also an interesting character study of cleaners and suppliers.

Its not a matter of "allow". SFS is a program that has been developed by Jon Don, who have a supply business that is competitive to mine. They'd have no reason to be interested in having me associated with their event.

If you're asking my opinion of your board being a place where commentary that is potentially injurious to my business interests is allowed without censorship, I'll answer that one:

I didn't come here to sell, but to learn. The day that you eliminate the free expression of thoughts and feelings here will be the day the Mikeysboard will lose value to me and to my business.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
How did you make the decision to become a Interlink distributor?

I was hired on a few years after Bill our owner decided to go Interlink. I'm guessing he decided because of Bridgepoint being our main line, and for the same reasons Jim already mentioned. We are in a pretty unique market dealing with a five state area. Over 80% of our business is mail order. Being an Interlink supplier vs. just carrying Bridgepoint product gives us a competitive edge.

The above answer pretty much sums it up.

-What made you chose your location?

Nice central location and we have over 7k of sq. feet so we have plenty of room and an education center.

Were you an existing store or were you absorbed into the collective?

Absorbed into the collective :lol: As Jim already said "We were, and are an independent store." We don't operate under the same guidelines that a corporate store does. We wouldn't have it any other way.

How have you chosen to deal with the Marketing Direct scandal?
My customers that have let me know I have taken care of. In fact one of them already made his case here. I have let me personal feeling known on another post.

Since it is our main line it wouldn't be easy, but our customers don't shop with us just based on the products we carry. It's because of our outstanding customer service. We would continue to do that if Bridgepoint was here or not.

How does this board help you and your business?
I come here to keep up on things in the industry, and to learn. Jim already said it and I agree. Cleaners are more candid about likes/dislikes than they may be on the phone or in the store. I sometimes know about a problem with one of my customers before they call and talk to me. That alone is worth a lot. There is also wealth of knowledge here and I'm always looking to expand my own knowledge and use it to help my customers.

Would you allow a SFS class to be held at your location?
SFS is a great class and I've have a handful of my customers attend it. The latest being this boards local goofball and post whore Gary. They are a competitor though and I don't ever see that happening.

I have nothing but man love for ya :D

Seriously though, this is the only board I frequent. Some may find it a little too "real" but that's what makes this board stand out from the rest. The Posers are weeded out pretty quickly.

- What are your top three best selling BP (BridgePoint , NOT Bogus Poster) products?

Off the top of my head, without running a report, I'd have to say in no particular order:

EndZone
Citrus Solv
Flex

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Mikey P said:
This interview is for all of our Interlink guys. Packfan, Jim Pemberton, Forsythe, Micha and who ever I am forgetting. I would hope all of you take the time to answer these questions.

-How did you make the decision to become a Interlink distributor?

The decision to become an independent Interlink distributor was made before I arrived but it was based on the ability to have great buying power, access to a number of great products, help with marketing and a great education program with a number of fabulous technical advisors. It allowed us the chance to offer great quality products at a very competitive price.

The advantages are all listed above. I haven't run into any disadvantages yet. They have backed us quite well with anything we've needed.

-What made you chose your location? Were you an existing store or were you absorbed into the collective?

The location of the store was already chosen. When Jim owned it it was Bridgepoint of the Sierras. My parent's purchased it from him and shortly after Bridgepoint came to them with the opportunity to becaome part of the Interlink co-op.

I was very leary myself about the Bridgepoint Direct program so I was hesitant to promote it within my store. Only one of my customers, that I know of, bought into the program and I'm currently doing whatever I can to help him out to recoup what he lost. It is an unfortunate situation for all parties involved. BP agreed to do business with a company that they thought was going to offer and great system to their customers and it turned out completely opposite. That company accepted payment from the cleaners, gave BP a cut and chose not to fullfill their end of the agreement. The cleaners ended up losing out on the deal and BP got their name and reputation dragged through the mud. I really do hope something can be resolved to where both parties are satisfied. It was not BP's intentions of this happening like it did.

If it were to happen it would be dreadful because as Jim said it is our main line of chems and accessories but we do have other lines to fall back on. It would hurt but we would make it through. I also don't see anything happening with BP going under.

This board has helped me tremendously with my knowledge of this great industry. The skill level of of the posters here far exceed other boards and the willingness of everyone to help others is awesome.

I don't think JD or Interlink would approve of that.

It's not hatred as much as wanting to punch you in the throat! :wink: The board you have created is a forum of free speech and I wouldn't want it any other way. Some things said I might not like or agree with but that's the way it is.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
i have to tell ya one thing that pissed me off and affected my buying from interlink. i used to buy the hydroforce pump up sprayers and they switched to a piece of crap at the same price. i was offered a parts list so i could fix the one's i have but the parts are not that far off of the full price of a new one..i figured the time to fix i will just buy new ones.
when i called and asked about the new pump up sprayers i was told it was a better one. well in a matter of about 1 month it broke..i called and was told pretty much sorry.. every hydro force brand i bought lasted 3-4 months easy. so i feel like you guys replace a good piece of equip to save some money and replaced it with crap at the same price..it is the same exact sprayer that i can buy at ace hardware for 26$ other than yours has a brass wand. i have swapped parts and all already on it.
so now i question quality control. i have used the metal sprayers and dont like them..i found what i like and want to stick with it. i just need to re find them.
ok i am done crying now.
dave

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Steve

If that comment had anything to do with what I posted, let me make this clear:

I never once, here or in private, asked Mike to squelch any comments made in regard to this whole debacle. You can also ask Chuck or Terje if I ever brought it up to them.

He asked the question, and I answered it. Period.

I've offered my resignation as an Admin should Mike have the slightest inkling that my presence here makes it appear that I'd influence his actions.

That offer to Mike still stands.

Cameron1

Jim Pemberton said:
Steve

If that comment had anything to do with what I posted, let me make this clear:

I never once, here or in private, asked Mike to squelch any comments made in regard to this whole debacle. You can also ask Chuck or Terje if I ever brought it up to them.

He asked the question, and I answered it. Period.

I've offered my resignation as an Admin should Mike have the slightest inkling that my presence here makes it appear that I'd influence his actions.

That offer to Mike still stands.

No Jim, not at all.

I have no issues with you or Bridgepoint....My comment was in regards to another thread about censorship.

It is in no way related to the current topic, and probably should not have been posted under this important topic.

Please accept my apologies.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thank you Steve

I just don't want to be an anchor around Mike's neck here

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Mikey P said:
Steve, you want to see censorship?

Bring up this topic on ®.

Or bring up any green glides product.

See how long that thread lasts.

Just to prove your point Mikey, I tried to tell a guy that was looking at the best glides to buy Greenglides as I felt they were the best. Tre said otherwise. He has found better glides out there. Haven't gone back there since.

Cameron1

Mikey P said:
Steve, you want to see censorship?

Bring up this topic on ®.

Or bring up any green glides product.

See how long that thread lasts.

Now Mikey,
Why would I want to go over to that board when there is so much love and respect for me here?

Mikey P

Administrator
Good question.

and not to get all mushy in public, but I actually enjoy having you here all for mbself.

Folks like you and me are few and far between.

will you marry me?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I gotta agree with Mike (other than the proposal).

Don't change Steve, and don't go anywhere else!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
steve said:
Why would I want to go over to that board when there is so much love and respect for me here?

I punched my older brother in the nutz one time when we were kids and fighting
I still love and respect him though

Bro was always older, bigger, stronger and picking on me.
I always came out on the loosing end :cry:

but I lit his azz up that day, boy! :twisted:

Then I ran like he11 before he could put a hurtin' me :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That's awesome Larry!

There were four of us brothers, being the oldest...I was the minister of pain! :mrgreen: Never hurt anyone that didn't deserve it!

Besides it made them stronger! :wink:

harryhides

Name
Tony
Mikey P said:
Good question.
and not to get all mushy in public, but I actually enjoy having you here all for mbself.

Folks like you and me are few and far between.

will you marry me?

This is all very touching.

Cameron1

Geez,
I've gone from the board goat to the board hero all in one thread. I don't know what to say.

Mikey.........I would be honored to walk you down the isle, but it just would'nt work. You know.... the long distance relationship and all.

Steven,
You would be better off staying a bast@@d.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
wow not one answer to my little problem/question. skipped right over..i guess i will keep my opinion of you guys? dosnt look like anyone wants to confirm say hey i can help ya, i would love to get some of your business..
oh well i guess i will have to just keep my opinion of interlink and move on over a little problem no one seems to have a answer for. :roll:

G

Why I dont buy from Interlink!

1. They told me since I did'nt buy my truckmount from them that they
would service it. They did'nt understand I have a Butler!!
not a piece of shit Hydramaster!!
2. Over price Chems!!!!!

Just my personal fellings!!!

Cameron1

davegill said:
wow not one answer to my little problem/question. skipped right over..i guess i will keep my opinion of you guys? dosnt look like anyone wants to confirm say hey i can help ya, i would love to get some of your business..
oh well i guess i will have to just keep my opinion of interlink and move on over a little problem no one seems to have a answer for. :roll:

Hey Dave,
I think you answered your own question

MOVE ON !

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
Dave were you looking at getting a new sprayer or parts or were you happy with the Ace Hardware sprayers. If you want a new sprayer let me know and I'll hook you up. Just wasn't sure what you were looking for.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom