GM Flywheel problem

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I know alot guys here run the newer GM vans. I have an 03 standard lenght and an 04 extended. Both are 1 tons with the 6 litre engine and the 4L80e transmission. Monday I noticed a strange noise from the underside of the van. Turns out the flywheel was cracked badly all the way around in the area where it connect to the crank. I was surprized at this as it only has 65000 miles. Don't know if its just a part failure or somethingelse. Anyonelse have this problem?

Shane T said:
I know alot guys here run the newer GM vans. I have an 03 standard lenght and an 04 extended. Both are 1 tons with the 6 litre engine and the 4L80e transmission. Monday I noticed a strange noise from the underside of the van. Turns out the flywheel was cracked badly all the way around in the area where it connect to the crank. I was surprized at this as it only has 65000 miles. Don't know if its just a part failure or somethingelse. Anyonelse have this problem?

It's called a flex plate.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Mountain View Carpet Care said:
[quote="Shane T":2cjnwxt6]I know alot guys here run the newer GM vans. I have an 03 standard lenght and an 04 extended. Both are 1 tons with the 6 litre engine and the 4L80e transmission. Monday I noticed a strange noise from the underside of the van. Turns out the flywheel was cracked badly all the way around in the area where it connect to the crank. I was surprized at this as it only has 65000 miles. Don't know if its just a part failure or somethingelse. Anyonelse have this problem?

It's called a flex plate.[/quote:2cjnwxt6]

Yea, well this one didn't flex enough.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Mountain View Carpet Care said:
It's called a flex plate.

Oh sure - you call it a flex plate, and so do I. But GM has chosen to officially designate it as a flywheel, right in the catalog. Go figure.

TCI makes heavy-duty ones (whatever you choose to call it):

http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Flywheels/

For Chevrolet...TCI® flywheels are .035" thicker than stock and the starter ring is welded to both sides of the flywheel for additional strength. Constructed from a high tensile strength material these flywheels resist elongation and cracking.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Oh no. Don't tell me this is the next thing that is going to go out in my 03 Express. It's got 70000 mi on it. OK so they disconnect the direct drive shaft, move it over, pop the motor out, replace the flywheel, reinstall. Ain't no thang. That happened in my first year edition Nisson Sentra back in 1982. They had to replace the flywheel because the starter would engage and grind it. But that was under warranty. Fook.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
When I was younger I would have jacked it up, laid on the floor and done this job. It would have taken me a couple days. The dealership did it in less than a day. Part was $100 and labor was $800.
My 03 only has 400000 miles so when it goes I'll know to request the heavier one.

Name
jack zerkie
I have a 04 2500 had the same problem they changed it 4 times then put in a rebuilt tranny. I was told that they had never heard of this problem from anyone else. Now at 55,000 miles I hear the same noise and I have the extended warrenty, but I don,t want to go back anymore jack z.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom