Google Business Categories & Common Mistakes We See

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
A common thing many cleaning businesses like to do is split their rug cleaning division from their cleaning company and create a separate brand. I get the whole concept around it and the psychology as well. The issue becomes when these companies decide to promote their brand(s) online.

As of right now(who knows that may change), Google does NOT differentiate between carpet cleaning and rug cleaning. According to the Google Guidelines two businesses in the same category cannot operate from the same address even if they have different phone numbers. This is a common problem that doctors have when multiple ones operate out of the same location. Each of them cannot have a separate Google My Business listing they have to create a name or list all of the doctors on one business listing.

You can add multiple categories(carpet cleaning service, water damage restoration, fire damage restoration) but I only recommend that you use 3-4 at the most and make sure that you provide those services. I still see some people listed in real estate categories from very old listings. DON'T DO IT.

So with that said, if you're one of the companies that have planned to split their rug cleaning into another brand take this into consideration. It can be of the more difficult to solve problems and can hurt your existing rankings once Google catches up with things and see the inconsistent NAP(Name, Address, Phone). Some of the directory/citation sites make it really difficult to remove a listing once it has been added. Even after you fix it, it can take months for Google to restore your rankings.

FredC

Village Idiot
we'll see....dealing with this now

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
Not that mysterious, Did you forget what your post was about? I'm attempting to force google into having the two businesses (rug and carpet) at the same location. It is the most desirable outcome..............but we'll see if it works

Reactions: Hoody
Name
Nate W.
We still haven't updated/revamped our website... I'm wanting to split/dba our rug cleaning from our corporate name... My pops took over the business name / website for his side of the business.... We have a warehouse with 2 bays... If we use separate suite numbers and phone numbers, will that work?

No real promotion or google listings present other than just claiming the local google listing...

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
We still haven't updated/revamped our website... I'm wanting to split/dba our rug cleaning from our corporate name... My pops took over the business name / website for his side of the business.... We have a warehouse with 2 bays... If we use separate suite numbers and phone numbers, will that work?

No real promotion or google listings present other than just claiming the local google listing...

Different suite numbers does and will work for that type of situation. We've been able to help people running from their home that have detached garages creating addresses such as 422 1/2 W Main St.

Reactions: Nate The Great

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
The best solution is a completely separate address. You also want the address to be one that the USPS has verified after your local municipality creates it. Just making one up yourself might not be the best choice.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
The best solution is a completely separate address. You also want the address to be one that the USPS has verified after your local municipality creates it. Just making one up yourself might not be the best choice.

Good point Tom. Just for the record, I wasn't suggesting to make one up. An address has to be recognized in order for a postcard to show up and it is possible that Google is keeping track of legitimate address as part of the their algorithm as well. There have been instances because of city zoning where they won't allow a detached garage to be a separate address because it has to be considered an actual living dwelling in a residential area. In some cities it has worked but yes a separate address is the preferred method. Many cleaners are from a smaller city just outside of a larger city. It's more practical to use other marketing methods to gain a presence in that larger city first. As your company grows you should consider expanding to that larger city and look for office and shop space there. Many people are short sighted on that as they're growing but location has many advantages and benefits for marketing, being closer to your preferred service area, and including for an online presence.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Good point Tom. Just for the record, I wasn't suggesting to make one up. An address has to be recognized in order for a postcard to show up and it is possible that Google is keeping track of legitimate address as part of the their algorithm as well. There have been instances because of city zoning where they won't allow a detached garage to be a separate address because it has to be considered an actual living dwelling in a residential area. In some cities it has worked but yes a separate address is the preferred method. Many cleaners are from a smaller city just outside of a larger city. It's more practical to use other marketing methods to gain a presence in that larger city first. As your company grows you should consider expanding to that larger city and look for office and shop space there. Many people are short sighted on that as they're growing but location has many advantages and benefits for marketing, being closer to your preferred service area, and including for an online presence.
I live behind my parents boat storage, which is at the same address. I thought I'd be nice and get that business started on google. That was a big mistake for my business, because it's at the same address. Google decided to keep that business with very little activity online and delete my business, which was very active on google. It scared the heck out of me, because you couldn't find anything about my business on google, except the other sites that had it on there. It took a month to get everything back on track. So I just deleted the boat storage business off google.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Wouldn't it always be better to create a new separate entity with a different suite number than to dare fook with one that is already familiar to the Googleman, well established, and likely one's primary source of lead generation and income?

Googleman no like.

Confuse Googleman.

Make Googleman angry.

Googleman punish.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Yes it would, as long as the USPS recognizes said suite number, but I'm finding quite a few people creating a new rug cleaning brand at the same address with the same category, and a different phone number. It works for a little while but then everything catches up. Google is becoming more "real time" and laying slap down faster and isn't as forgiving once it is all corrected. They are some tricks that can be done to make Google recognize the changes faster.

Ron K

If you google some addresses here, plumbers use residential random houses,carpet cleaners use UPS stores to get into local high end neighborhoods , franchises lie too caught one who used a Car Wash as their address. I wish there was a way to report them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom