Got a call and went for it

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Don't let their problem become yours.
I understand. The dehu I left there is actually 50 pints a day now that I looked again. Earlier I read the specs off the smaller model online that looks the same. I know I bought the larger one when I was at the store a ways back I always do. Still vastly inadequate, just not a 20 pint unit I mentioned above.

I'll head there tomorrow morning to see how it all looks and see if I need to get a larger dehu quickly. Thanks!

Name
Evets
Seriously Bryce, at this point you should be approaching this situation like you are trying to save the homeowner money by not calling a restoration company that would charge a couple of thousand dollars to do the job. Be on THEIR side trying help them save MONEY. Get it? Helping them with their problem. This business, whether cleaning or restoring, is about helping the customer with THEIR problem

FredC

Village Idiot
My apologies for making you want to smash your head against a wall in frustration. I couldn't tell by walking on it and didn't know to pop some trim or something to see what was underneath it. Considering it is a serious situation will you share with me what is concerning? Could water be trapped under the pad and only be sucked out by a commercial dehu? Or...?

If you used that little doodad and a portable to extract there is almost a 100% chance the pad is still wet (and the concrete). Carpet dries quick. Pad not so much even when "floated" and it will start to stink...

go to home depot and get a cheap penetrating moisture meter/detector (pin type)

I don't know what your skill set is... me with minimum tools would have just pulled the pad, dried the carpet, and then did a restretch and clean. Alternatively I'd float the carpet and pad with corners detached.

Top down drying really needs better equipment/knowledge.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I would be honest with the homeowner and tell them you're just trying to help them out, with limited resources. That you are a carpet cleaner (or whatever way you want to phrase it) and trying to save them money rather than calling a restoration company.
I did from the beginning. I never told her I was anything else than a cleaner that has helped a few people out. She was aware from the start that I don't do restoration work and was simply trying to help her out.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
If you used that little doodad and a portable to extract there is almost a 100% chance the pad is still wet (and the concrete). Carpet dries quick. Pad not so much even when "floated" and it will start to stink...

go to home depot and get a cheap penetrating moisture meter/detector (pin type)

I don't know what your skill set is... me with minimum tools would have just pulled the pad, dried the carpet, and then did a restretch and clean. Alternatively I'd float the carpet and pad with corners detached.

Top down drying really needs better equipment/knowledge.
Good I understand. I'll try to turn this foolish move into a blessing for her and I both. When I head over I'll check underneath the carpet and if there is a moist pad I will do all the above. Been wanting to get a get a tri force, crain, or something similar and accompanying gadgets to learn carpet stretching. She is very kind, appreciative, and it seems like a good place to learn something new while making this right and helping her out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
This is the best advice that I can give you in the brief space of typing a message here.

1. Get trained first.

2. Get instruments to detect moisture and humidity second.

3. Get drying equipment last.

Look at it this way: You can rent dryers and dehumidifiers, even extractors. But without knowing what to look for, how to find it, and with the instruments needed do it, it is like trying to clean carpet with a blindfold on.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I didn't see anywhere the application of a mildewcide?
Good call I never mentioned it. I applied Benefect Decon 30 at full strength to the affected area using a pump sprayer lightly saturating the carpet fibers after the sub surface extraction was complete. I'll repeat it again after the padding is inspected and addressed if need be.

FredC

Village Idiot
to give you a basic idea of how I might approach the job you described....with limited equipment

walk through with customer and paperwork signed as to who is paying/who is getting the check....as well as who is responsible for any repairs (see baseboards comment below)
Check carpet with penetrating meter and walls/baseboards with a nondestructive
Photograph and document affected rooms and moisture levels of affected materials
Measure and diagram affected areas
If walls are affected I might score and remove baseboards. I might poke some holes below baseboard level to ventilate. Exterior walls may require more demo (insulation) depending on how wet things got.
  • The carpet I would extract, detach and remove the pad. Take a pad sample to get new pad.
  • Float the carpet/pad
  • Treat subfloor/carpet with microban or similar
Set equipment in accordance with standards
Monitor every day and record moisture levels.. Move/add/remove/ equipment as needed
Remove equipment when dry and schedule a relay.
Install new pad (if removed) , restretch and clean.

*I wouldn't treat a loss for a "sweet old lady" any different than one I was preparing to submit for insurance payment
** what I actually do depends on the loss and the equipment available.....but I've done thousands of WDR jobs...if I didn't know anything I would pass on them until I did...
*** sweet old ladies will sue your ass too

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
to give you a basic idea of how I might approach the job you described....with limited equipment

walk through with customer and paperwork signed as to who is paying/who is getting the check....as well as who is responsible for any repairs (see baseboards comment below)
Check carpet with penetrating meter and walls/baseboards with a nondestructive
Photograph and document affected rooms and moisture levels of affected materials
Measure and diagram affected areas
If walls are affected I might score and remove baseboards. I might poke some holes below baseboard level to ventilate. Exterior walls may require more demo (insulation) depending on how wet things got.
  • The carpet I would extract, detach and remove the pad. Take a pad sample to get new pad.
  • Float the carpet/pad
  • Treat subfloor/carpet with microban or similar
Set equipment in accordance with standards
Monitor every day and record moisture levels.. Move/add/remove/ equipment as needed
Remove equipment when dry and schedule a relay.
Install new pad (if removed) , restretch and clean.

*I wouldn't treat a loss for a "sweet old lady" any different than one I was preparing to submit for insurance payment
** what I actually do depends on the loss and the equipment available.....but I've done thousands of WDR jobs...if I didn't know anything I would pass on them until I did...
*** sweet old ladies will sue your ass too
Thanks Fred. I hope at this point I've made it clear that I understand I screwed up, I'm doing everything I can to prevent causing harm and being sued, I'm not taking on any of this work again until I'm thoroughly trained, equipped, and covered. And I'm very grateful for the help that has been offered here.

So far it seems I lucked out, learned a lasting lesson, and I'm not out of the weeds yet but know what I must do from here forward to make it right.

Reactions: FredC

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know I'm out of the weeds and disaster was averted. The carpet and padding is dry, ambient humidity is low, and there is no bacterial, mold, or mildew damage that I can detect. I spoke to 2 different experienced elders on the phone earlier in the week about all of the details and if I should have rented a commercial dehu and they think the situation is fine considering all the details that I shared with them. I was at the residence again at 7:30am today and everything I can detect affirms that.

Thank you again for your great advice and genuine concern. I won't make a mistake like this again. Lesson learned.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
hand, esp, dowsing rod?
Since making this thread and realizing how foolish I was I have been utterly humiliated, trembling in fear, and my heart torn to pieces at the prospect of causing this old lady serious harm when I thought I was helping her.

You could have just asked me if I purchased or borrowed a meter from someone. But rather you choose mockery and condescension. This and suggestions I have a psychological disorder in another thread, well I'm out ✌️

• Eyeroll
Reactions: FredC

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom