Gotem!

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Finally got somewhere with a switched on supplier in New Zealand.

I got double sided KG tape. $60/roll.

I got KG hot melt glue sticks. $20/pack of 10

and I finally got a 10-128 Mini Pattern stretcher. $300

133377.jpg

I have a broken seam on axminster commercial on Thursday to repair so really glad to have got these bits and pieces before then.

John

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Please explain the difference between these two mini stretchers

Roberts Pattern Matching & Seam Repair Stretcher

Roberts Locking Dual Head Mini Stretcher

Confused in Cairns.

ultraclean

Thats a nice price on the mini strecher John, after we did the last course over here i purchased 6 Crane mini's from Kevmore's and the best price i could get was $598.00 + Tax(10%) each :evil: :evil:

Thats $753+ NZD I think the conversion does my head in! :? :?

harryhides

Name
Tony
Charles, you can buy one of these from ShagTools for $230 + shipping.
My local supplier wanted over $500 !!

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Ouch Andrew!!

I found a second hand unit on NZ TradeMe. It was only 1x head, 1x blade, no case but otherwise in good average condition for $150 buy now.

I had priced them a year or so ago at $600+TAX (12.5%) so was going to grab this baby for $150 but wanted to make sure I could get parts readily and reasonably... that's when he told me they had specialed them during June for $300 + TAX and they still had 1 of their allocated units left over.

I've bought quite a bit of gear through this shop over the years, including my two KG's so I guess they thought why not?

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Man you guys are really getting it together and fast. We see who wants to make the money. Not only money bet a better quality of workmanship. :D

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Just ordered my Roberts mini stretcher from Shagtools.com. $235+tax and free ground shipping. Thanks for the tip.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Question: I want to get a fair amount of gear from the 'states, carpet gear that we get ripped off, left, right & centre by the sellers down under.

How much is that tax payable on the gear you buy :?:

I thought it was 10% :?:

Thanks & Ooroo

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Shorty, check into it before you go over.

I've imported a bit of gear from a number of different countries and sometimes you can claim the tax component back at a customs counter as you leave the country, other times, it may be better to buy from outside the country and being direct for import, there's no tax at all.

Or, PM Steve or Harry and see if they can assemble a few goodies for you before their class that you're attending.

DON'T buy a transformer from over there, the weight will stuff you on freight or weight charges. Pick one up in Aussie.

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Well, I did that commercial seam on an axminster yesterday. In the main foyer area on the fourth floor.

I uplifted the join and then removed the existing tape. I used DS KG tape, ran a heavy bead of KG hot melt glue down the middle of the seam, pulled it together and then activated the KG tape either side of the stretcher, allowed it to cool then removed the stretcher, moved along and repeated the procedure.

I can really see the benefit of a SDN for this type of work... it'll come soon.

Notice the curling on the RHS. The ladies I was talking to were sick of it grabbing on their heels and tripping them up.
IMG_3854.jpg

Done.
IMG_3855.jpg

Close up of the curled area. It was missing about 2-3 rows so I trimmed up best I could and then seamed.
IMG_3858.jpg

My make shift tool carrier to get everything on the first trip so I didn't have to leave tools unattended.
IMG_3859.jpg

Overall pretty happy with how this one turned out as a first attempt.

I've sent soo many of these to layers of the years so I'm looking forward to retaining some more revenue by adding this service.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
John when It is a little skewed like that , what I do is crank the pattern stretcher to make it line up. Than it does not matter wher I spot weld it with the Kool glide . Than start you seaming as usual spot welding is just to hold it in place with out nails or tacks. I am going to have to get some messed up carpet to show photos and when I do . I will post it. Looks good John.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Thanks Harry.

I gather you stretch and just do spots here and there to hold it then get rid of the stretcher and weld the whole seam?

I think from memory you use a SDN? If so I can see how this would really speed things up.

I quoted $120+TAX and was there from drive up to drive away for 1 hour. I didn't think that was too bad :lol: I was learning and with a bit of practice, combined with a SDN, I see that being shaved a lot further too.

Anything that nets me close to or in excess of $100/hr is good by me.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Yes John your right. But you could still use your tools as well it may take a tiny bit longer . But exactly right about the SDN. Jon there are many things anyone could learn with that tool. That is one of my personal favorites.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I've missed the plot somewhere :oops:

KRAFT has slipped into gear :oops:

What is SDN :?: :shock:

Apart from Solution Dyed Nylon :roll:

I know as soon as it is posted I will remember :doh

Ooroo :oops:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

It is better to remain silent and be thought of as a fool than to speak up and remove all doubt.

I already had it saved in my favourites :oops:

Ooroo :roll:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
No worries Shorty,

I just get lazy and start abbrev. some of my words for stuff I'm typing all the time.

SDN = Seamer Down Now.
KG = Kool Glide Iron.

I'm sure I'll add a few more to that list.

Maybe we need a sticky in this room for some of the terms we commonly use?

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom