Granite sealing??

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I'm getting ready to do construction clean up on 645 new apartments. All have granite countertops in the kitchens. Normal cleanup doesn't involve sealing them.. should they be sealed?

Samsung galaxy S 4

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
The real answer is....It depends. Some granite is more absorbent then others, but as a rule of thumb granite (especially polished) has smaller pores then other natural stones, so it may not be as necessary. If it was in my house, yes I would seal it. However I highly doubt an apartment complex will go to that expense and commit to the maintenance to keep it sealed. If you are lucky enough that they do, congrats it will be big money. You need to use the right sealer though, as many will not penetrate granite. You will want a flourochemical reactive sealer in a solvent base for best penetration. I like Ultimate Pro from Stone Pro.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
As mentioned, some granites will not absorb sealers.

Test each type in the complex by placing a tablespoon of water under a bowl overnight.

Those slabs that absorbed the water can and should be sealed. If water goes in so does oil, coffee and wine.
Have your regular customers test their counters this way to every six months.

Sealing the finer quartz structured stone will not only waste your time and seal but be a real PITA to remove all that dried gooey product.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Those slabs that absorbed the water can and should be sealed. If water goes in so does oil, coffee and wine.
Have your regular customers test their counters this way to every six months.

Sealing the finer quartz structured stone will not only waste your time and seal but be a real PITA to remove all that dried gooey product.

The trade has tested quartz &synthetic stone,

and found that indeed sealing with a well-formulated protector did provide easier cleaning on stains.

Solvent-based fluorochemicals will not leave "gooey residue".

Larry

srosen

Name
stuart rosen
You would think the fabricator/installer would have it in his contract to seal after installing.
Maybe not-do the water test to find out the porosity level.
If it is porous try to up sell the job to the person who contracted you. Could add some nice revenue to your job just make sure they will pay.
There are many sealers on the market you can use. Average out the sq footage and see if you can buy bulk like a five gallon pail or two.

Reactions: Mikey P

ted mcfadden

Supportive Member
Name
Ted McFadden
You would think the fabricator/installer would have it in his contract to seal after installing.
Maybe not-do the water test to find out the porosity level.
If it is porous try to up sell the job to the person who contracted you. Could add some nice revenue to your job just make sure they will pay.
There are many sealers on the market you can use. Average out the sq footage and see if you can buy bulk like a five gallon pail or two.

Stu!

Great to see you on hear. Your ideas will definitely help these guys become comfortable with natural stone. I hope all is well. T

srosen

Name
stuart rosen
Hey Ted-Thanks.
The forums are Good-Sharing ideas we all learn from!
Pleasure to be here.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
The real answer is....It depends. Some granite is more absorbent then others, but as a rule of thumb granite (especially polished) has smaller pores then other natural stones, so it may not be as necessary. If it was in my house, yes I would seal it. However I highly doubt an apartment complex will go to that expense and commit to the maintenance to keep it sealed. If you are lucky enough that they do, congrats it will be big money. You need to use the right sealer though, as many will not penetrate granite. You will want a flourochemical reactive sealer in a solvent base for best penetration. I like Ultimate Pro from Stone Pro.

I seal all my granite jobs with Stone Pro Ultimate Pro, there is something in it that somewhat enhances the dark parts of the granite as well, a recent customer really noticed it and was very excited to say the least. Ted and Cameron sell some granite wipes that come in a reusing ziplock bag that really changed the appearance for the better of a lighter colored granite at their class, I may order and test those very soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom