Grease it baby- New Pro-1200 uses the same shaft as the CDS

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Thought rotella wasn't just for diesels.

I like that they gave a specific brand of grease. Most people don't know they aren't all compatible.

Gene

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
What sold you on the Rotalla, Mark?

We have friends that are racers and when they were doing Dyno tests of motors, they were finding they were creating more horsepower...and also when taking them apart, they were seeing better lubrication they felt.

The thicker oil was something we have been using figuring the vehicles were sitting and running vs running down the road so much....

Now, you wouldn't want that oil in a rig sitting outside in super cold weather to try and start from a cold start, but with our vans kept inside during cold times, and then backed out of the shop and given a few minutes to run, we feel the oil has been performing best for us.

We have also seen extreme high miles (and Butler hours/miles) on our units....they just seem to keep running, so we have just stuck with the oil...

The oil also doesn't seem to break down in higher heat extremes

Reactions: Scott S.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
So, I should use it except for January and February?

We use it all year long....I don't think you will have a problem with it starting....

By cold starting, I am referring to a vehicle that has sat for hours (or a day) in below zero temps....really below zero temps...

Reactions: hogjowl

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Rotella is garbage .
Bob wiped two new hi-performace cams using the crap.
problem solved when he took my suggestion and used Valvoline

only reason it works well for Mark is he changes it so often, it wouldn't matter what he was using.
he could use Crisco

use Valovoline PokeChop
and use the wt the vehicle manufacture recommends YEAR ROUND

..L.T.A.

Reactions: hogjowl

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i use rotella in everything i own
race bike- generators- lawnmowers- no problems use to be cheap but not any more

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott

mark, your new van has the oil life monitor in it, what does it uasually say when you change out your oil?
tranny filter and fluid change once a year sounds like great advice.
The oil you run, why do you run with a heavier oil than recommended? just because of the heat and thinning of the oil at high temps? im not picking im just curious as to if i should start with what your running after the break in period.
is the rotella full synthetic or semi, or conventional?
are you running an extended oil filter (bigger than standard) and what filters are you using.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Bob wiped two new hi-performace cams using the crap.
problem solved when he took my suggestion and used Valvoline
I've read of big problems when breaking in flat-tappet engines using many different oils. The issue is the mandated reduction in ZDDP (zinc) in current oils. Apparently an oil higher in ZDDP solves the issue during initial break-in, then the low zinc oils are ok after that.

Here is one example of a high zinc oil for break-in used by Joe Gibbs Racing:

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/engine-break-in-and-assembly-oilshtml

Don't be tempted to run such an oil all the time, because the zinc hurts the catalytic converter(s) if used long term.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
mark, your new van has the oil life monitor in it, what does it uasually say when you change out your oil?
tranny filter and fluid change once a year sounds like great advice.
The oil you run, why do you run with a heavier oil than recommended? just because of the heat and thinning of the oil at high temps? im not picking im just curious as to if i should start with what your running after the break in period.
is the rotella full synthetic or semi, or conventional?
are you running an extended oil filter (bigger than standard) and what filters are you using.

About 45 % seems to be an average oil life on the meter I see ...sometimes even less oil life remaining if I miss my target mark.

Heat and thinning one of the reasons for the thicker oil

Rotella is conventional for most part

Running standard oil filters

We also watch and change intake filters if questionable....usually seems to be around once a year, but the second van can need this sooner as it is following my van and injesting the dust kicked up on especially gravel roads.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom