great way to make a sucky saturday suck even more

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
it has been a loooong few weeks and we had to book a bunch of work for sat too keep up
with it all..so i am looking at the first ticket and it says 4 rooms hall and maybe some tile..
i say cool not too bad of a first job..i get to the house and start talking to the customer..
my mouth dropped when she said she didnt want to do any carpet or tile but she wanted
to clean every piece of furniture in her home..every single chair, sofa's, love seat's...everything
man i HATE HATE doing upholstery and really was not in the mood for it first thing sat morning..
so 447.00 later i was done and moving on to the next job telling myself that is the customer
asks to add any furn i am going to kick the shit out of him..and he didnt.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Upl isn't my favorite job either
so I raised prices years ago to make it a little more "bearable"

and there ain't no "one size fits all" pricing with us either.
Not talking about specialty care fabrics (we don't do those anyway) or pillow back, or excessive critter hair
I mean different prices for the pieces that are a PITA in general due to contours and design

"but, but, but, So 'n so will clean a sofa for $49 bucks"

cool, give 'em a call....

I will mention one thing that has increased our bottom line the most and now I love to hear "and I need my upl cleaned too" ..
Bringing along that spotting machine I bought from Pembertons a year or two ago.
Upl used to be low profit with a two man crew (even at decent prices).
Now both men are cleaning and upl is much more profitable

..L.T.A.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
While I think 99% of men hate cleaning upholstery I still think it is more profitable than cleaning carpet. As Meat says charge enough so you begin to enjoy it. Alright so maybe you won't enjoy it but you will like the added profitability.

meAt said:

Not talking about specialty care fabrics (we don't do those anyway) or pillow back, or excessive critter hair
I mean different prices for the pieces that are a PITA in general due to contours and design

I will mention one thing that has increased our bottom line the most and now I love to hear "and I need my upl cleaned too" ..
Bringing along that spotting machine I bought from Pembertons a year or two ago.

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It's all I cleaned for 10-years.

People treat it better than they do carpet they also because they value it more they are willing to pay more to clean it.

I like cleaning it better than cleaning carpets, it's not nearly as soiled. For the most part it's fast and easy.

Pmatte

Name
Patrick Matte
Could have been worse, client could've just canceled the job altogether and told you when Ýou showed up.

Ron K

Sop whining.
Train a female tech to do it for you. Get her a small porty she can hoist in her car and have her work part time.
Some "Moms" would love the work and they are alot more capable to clean upholstry then us Truck mounted guys.

TimP

I have to say I am one of the ones who don't like cleaning upholstery. I just charge enough to make it worth doing. But I'm not 200+ bucks a sofa for sure.

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
yea harry..there was 2 standard sized sofas with cushions attached to back..micro fiber
2 love seats same deal
4 chairs not chair and a half just a single size chair
6 dining room chairs cloth on bottom only
4 ottomans micro fiber

TimP

davegill said:
yea harry..there was 2 standard sized sofas with cushions attached to back..micro fiber
2 love seats same deal
4 chairs not chair and a half just a single size chair
6 dining room chairs cloth on bottom only
4 ottomans micro fiber

Cheapest I'd do that for is 540 bucks done right. I'd shampoo them for less if they wanted it cheaper of course. I know I'm not the most expensive but at that price I'd do them and not complain too much about doing them.

supersoaker

Name
Michael Malandruccolo
Hell with upholstery. So tedious and never ending. Just give me some carpet please.

davegill said:
it has been a loooong few weeks and we had to book a bunch of work for sat too keep up
with it all..so i am looking at the first ticket and it says 4 rooms hall and maybe some tile..
i say cool not too bad of a first job..i get to the house and start talking to the customer..
my mouth dropped when she said she didnt want to do any carpet or tile but she wanted
to clean every piece of furniture in her home..every single chair, sofa's, love seat's...everything
man i HATE HATE doing upholstery and really was not in the mood for it first thing sat morning..
so 447.00 later i was done and moving on to the next job telling myself that is the customer
asks to add any furn i am going to kick the shit out of him..and he didnt.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
billyeadon said:
While I think 99% of men hate cleaning upholstery I still think it is more profitable than cleaning carpet. As Meat says charge enough so you begin to enjoy it. Alright so maybe you won't enjoy it but you will like the added profitability.

meAt said:

..L.T.A.

aint enough money ifn you cant stand or move your fingers when done

CleanEvo

I like doing upholstery, but like you, I like to know about it before hand. I hate suprises when you've got your day booked tight.

Those prices aren't too bad, but it probably didn't take you longer than 3 hours, so that's still close to $150 an hour, I'll take that any day.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
rctpks said:

People treat it better than they do carpet they also because they value it more they are willing to pay more to clean it.

I like cleaning it better than cleaning carpets, it's not nearly as soiled. For the most part it's fast and easy.

wow...10 years of uph. cleaning...damn bro, you must have the posture of a jumbo shrimp. And you REALLY think people take better care of their uph than carpet? At least (most) people vacuum their carpet and have cleaned more often than uph. Just think...people/pets sitting/laying on sofa EVERYDAY...oils, hair, dust, soil...everyday...with years of build-up...and "fast and esay"...you must be pulling our leg here :?: while i like a challenging piece of upholstery to clean now-n-then...it sux waaaay more than carpet.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
royalkid said:
rctpks said:

wow...10 years of uph. cleaning...damn bro, you must have the posture of a jumbo shrimp. And you REALLY think people take better care of their uph than carpet? At least (most) people vacuum their carpet and have cleaned more often than uph. Just think...people/pets sitting/laying on sofa EVERYDAY...oils, hair, dust, soil...everyday...with years of build-up...and "fast and esay"...you must be pulling our leg here :?: while i like a challenging piece of upholstery to clean now-n-then...it sux waaaay more than carpet.

Dont forget how much ass ripping goes on, on a couch :shock: :shock:

Chris A

Name
Chris
Ken Snow said:
I'm with Big Billy & Richard.

I'm with Ken, big Billy and Richard, uph is my most profitable service, except maybe grout sealing, which I never really do anyway.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Peter you're too much.

Sounds like I don't want to clean any of your customer's upholstery. :wink:

Just like carpet if your rates are a little higher you drop off those that abuse their upholstery.

Not saying I haven't cleaned a carefully hidden booger or two, but for the most part they treat their upholstery far better.

CleanEvo

rctpks said:
Peter you're too much.

Sounds like I don't want to clean any of your customer's upholstery. :wink:

Just like carpet if your rates are a little higher you drop off those that abuse their upholstery.

Not saying I haven't cleaned a carefully hidden booger or two, but for the most part they treat their upholstery far better.

You betcha... upholstery is easy money for the most part.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
started adding it up for me, got to $600 but still had to add in the 4 chairs. Not sure what kind they were.
Be a 4-5hr job for me at least.
Did you sell on protector?? Add that on and you only need that one job for the day.

If I was expecting carpets and tile, and had other work that day, I might be telling him that I need to resched his work to a day I could give it my full attention and explain that I wasn't expecting all this furn.
OR I'd do some creative sched with the other jobs.

Back
Top Bottom