greenhorn wand

K

kyle albero

I have a five jet greenhorn wand that I have been using for the past 6 months. I have found that it works best on commercial low pile carpet. When I clean plush nylon it seems to leave lines of soil between the jets. I have to move the wand over one inch to clean the lines. I have cleaned at 500 to 700psi. From 180 to 250 deg. Has anyone else noticed this? My wand is a 14 inch hybrid greenhorn. thanks Kyle

TimP

Sounds like you may have a problem with your jets. You should contact greenglides and see what they tell you to do. If you just bought it 6 months ago they might take care of you depending on how many hours you've put on the jets. The jets do wear out over time which changes their spray pattern.

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Ya when I recieved my greenhorn the jets were spraying in the middle of my glide. But it is simple to adjust the angle.
Mike is it ok to bend my jets forward on my ti to do the same as my gh, I was afraid the medal might crack?

K

kyle albero

Yes, the jets are 50/50 on the glide and carpet. There are lines from the hybrid glide that groom out. The lines that I am talking about are soil. This happens mostly on heavily soiled nylon carpet. The angled jets are great for dry times but does not get all the way to the base of the fiber. I also have tried to turn the presure above 700 but then I get jet lines. Thanks kyle

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I think my GH does the same. But the streaks aren't dirt. They are where the jets sprays overlap, distorting the pile. Helps to raise the spray up the glide.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
try prevacuuming

When I started with The Bay, I had a single jet wand, would leave a dirt line to one side of the wand. Just kept cleaning out the line as I moved across the floor. Of course, having the powerful machine as a ninja I was sucking all the soil out as I cleaned 8)

Jim Nazarian

Name
Jim Nazarian
What prespray are you using? Are you agitating &/or giving enough dwell time? Pre Vac? The wand may need to be tweaked but its still just 1 part of the cleaning process especially when dealing with nasties.

Chris A

Name
Chris
gary mackay said:
Like John La Rue said

I third that opinion, if you were leaving soil behind you'd see it on just about every carpet you clean...

Greenie

Here is what I think:

On Real Dirty carpet, you will get that visual Clean/Dirty streaked look with any multi-jet wand.
Bottom line, it's nearly impossible to get a 14" sheet of water to go down evenly.

You won't notice this on light soil.

Add to that on THICK piles, the jets physically sit closer to the fiber, you Will get some pile distortion,a nd you will get some Jet Impact either right at the center of the jet where the pressure is greatest, or at the "overlap" where two jet streams cross.

This is made WORSE as the Glide wears, placing the jets closer to the carpet.

So...add the wear, and a really thick pile and you will see the above on real dirty carpet.

I will say I have helped all the above, on THESE specifc carpets by turning your operating pressure Down, and making a slower wand pass, allowing the water longer to rinse the soils with each pass, ADD to that making a jet change to a larger size (higher flow) and you will overcome 90% of the problem, as you are now Super Rinsing at non-streaking pressure.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
In this case it is probably just jets out of alignment, but You are really supposed to change brass jets every 1-3 months and stainless every 3-6 months, but no one does. if you are having streaking or pile distortion issues it is often due to worn jets.

Take care,
Lisa

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Greenie said:
it's nearly impossible to get a 14" sheet of water to go down evenly.
/quote]

I always liked Butlers 5 jet Offset Pattern with the 1-3-5 jet forward and the 2-4 jet just behind a little.
Kinda like this:

______ ______ ______
________ _______

K

kyle albero

Thank you for all the advice. I don"t see how spraying water on the glide helps getting to the base of the fiber for deep cleaning. I like the butler wand idea. I think wands could be a little more like razors. I think rows of jets is the way to go.

Greenie

Kyle,

There is a difference between "glancing" spray and "splattering" spray.

You don't need much Penetration on 1/4" of fiber.

With the jets positioned at a 45 deg. angle, for every 1/4" of 'forward travel" you have 1/4" of 'penetration', it's just the nature of a perfect 45 angle. You just have to keep that sheet of water as close to the glide as possible, so it's immediately picked up by the rearward vacuum stroke.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
If the water is sprayed half onto the glide, isnt it just goign to get sucked right up without even touching a significant amount of carpet? i would think you would be better off spraying the carpet 100% and then sucking it up. Yes it will hurt dry times, but all of the water will actually clean the carpet not the glide.

TimP

SRI Cleaning said:
If the water is sprayed half onto the glide, isnt it just goign to get sucked right up without even touching a significant amount of carpet? i would think you would be better off spraying the carpet 100% and then sucking it up. Yes it will hurt dry times, but all of the water will actually clean the carpet not the glide.

I don't think you're quite visualizing the whole process of what happens. You're not cleaning the glide. The yarn is in the way of the glide while cleaning and the vacuum pulls the solution through the yarn along with the dirt creating a flushing action from the top of the yarn through the bottom with pile carpet. Cgd there isn't enough yarn that you want it blasted anyway and a 50-50 impact is plenty. And if you don't believe it use the wand as intended and see the results.

Greenie

Exactly Tim.

and...you just can't get your head around it, it's okay, the manifold angle is adjustable, g'head and let the spray hit the carpet only, this will give more agitation in your nasties. Options are good.

hogjowl

Idiot™
In my humble opinion, Greenie's post about the origin of your problem is right on. I have encountered your exact problem many times and find that (while using my Greenie wand) that I just need to do a slow forward and back extraction pass (with the trigger pulled) to get the best coverage of the cleaning. Then, of course, do a good drying pass. It's a pita, but only necessary on those really dirty, high pile carpets.

I don't; however, necessarily agree with the jets hitting the bottom of the glide opinion. That tweek to the wand jets works great for reducing over-wetting of the carpets and thus reducing dry times, but it severely reduces the pile penetration of the rinse fluid. Thus, forcing the operator to resort to the flushing technique mentioned above on those severly dirty, heavy pile carpets. If it were not for the massive overspray problem created by adding a glide to a wand, without extending the jets closer to the carpets, I would carry one of my two glided wands on the truck without extenders. Giving the rinse a bit more dwell time on the fiber is a good thing when dealing with heavy soil.

Greenie

Porky, so just adjust one of yoru wands so the water is off the glide, 100% nailing the carpet. problem solved.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

non-extended jets....that is heracy!

mwall2230

Name
Mike Wallace
Jeff do you think it would be ok for me bend my jets forward on my ti wand, or do you think the welds might crack.
Thanks

Greenie

On a Ti wand the Jet manifolds and manifold hangers are Stainless Steel, they will flex, and even bend.

Here is the detail:

"most" of the guys on this Board have jet extensions on their multi-jet wands, if you are going to flex your manifolds, do it BEFORE you install the soft nickle coated BRASS checkvavle jet entensions.

With a SS jet still screwed into the Center position on each side, I use a 1/2" open end wrench and use the jet as a leverage point to flex the jet manifolds, some are really cockeyed and need straightening anyways.

THEN, install your new 110 degree jets and checkies.

Oh: you will have to cut the lower zip tie and allow room for the "horseshoe" and solution line to flex, and then you will have to "bend" the horseshoe back against the 2" tube, sometimes I remove the horseshoe from the jet manifolds to make this easier, sometimes I just set a Large phillips screwdrive behind them and bend it back against the wand, and re-zip tie it.

hogjowl

Idiot™
BUT, don't put 110 degree jets all the way across the head. Use 80 degree jets on the outside to reduce overspray and use 95 degree on the two next to the outside to help reduce jet streeks on soft pile carpets. Your jet sequence should look like this when you are looking at the wand head from the bottom up:

8002, 9502, 11002, 11002, 9502, 8002

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
TimP said:
SRI Cleaning said:

I don't think you're quite visualizing the whole process of what happens. You're not cleaning the glide. The yarn is in the way of the glide while cleaning and the vacuum pulls the solution through the yarn along with the dirt creating a flushing action from the top of the yarn through the bottom with pile carpet. Cgd there isn't enough yarn that you want it blasted anyway and a 50-50 impact is plenty. And if you don't believe it use the wand as intended and see the results.

Gotcha! I was picturing it just hitting the glide.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom